Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 bullet choice

JDMarshall

Just moving into the heavy metal world with a 16" SS barrel. What would be an all round good bullet choice for 3 gun heavy shooting 500 rarely and mostly 0-200yds. I'm not reloading but buying from freedom at the moment.

Depends on your twist rate and what works in your barrel. I see everything from 110gn (HM lite) :( to 175gn being used, and most use a cheap fmj for close stuff out to 100 and then an accurate round for longer...watch out for bi-metal jacketing (copper plated steel jacket)...it will get you a dq at most matches. Check everything with a magnet!

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Like JJ said, find what your rifle likes. My AR10 likes Freedom's 155 AMAX and Hornady 168 AMAXs. It will shoot others, but really tightens up with these. Also, like JJ said, I use non-magnetic surplus ball for <100yds. Right now, shoot whatever you can get your hands on.

Hurley

Be aware that alot of 147 FMJ loads are bimetal. I bought some 147 reloads, not sure of the brand of bullets, but, they are bimetal. Bryan Ray warned me that Winchester white box were bimetal.

Federal American Eagle 150 FMJ are total gilding metal bullets. The American Eagle 168 for M1a's shoots pretty well out of my Rainier Arms barreled DPMS .308.

Be sure to use a magnet. I use 135 gr. Sierra Match Kings. They group 1 MOA or less out to 600 yards. (mebbeso i don't, but they do.) For short ranges (200 and under) just about anything will do. there are some good buys on 125 gr and 150 gr. hunting bullets. In 3 gunning 2 MOA is good enough.

I have worked up a load with Speer 110gr. varmint bullets with 48 gr. of 748. Accurate and flat shooting as well as being easy on the shoulder. I shot it out to 500 yards with no problem.

I did a load with Speer 125gr TNT, 48.0gr of TAC and CCI LRP. Shoots pretty soft but haven't shot it at any distance but 100 & 200. Shoots sub MOA in my Larue & POF. Need to work it out at distance to see how it performs.

Ive been shooting Hornady Steel Match. I have enough for the Tarheel shoot, then Im back to shooting reloads.

The Hornady 110 Vmax over H322 shoots really well for me , as does Sierra 155's and 168's over RL-15.

Ive got a bunch of 135's but havent found "The Load" yet.

• 1 month later...