Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 case feed jams

So I've seen a dozen of these now in 3k rounds loaded. Not a show stopper by any means but annoying enough I'd like to fix it.

They do not occur in any particular index of the case feeder, I've marked it to ensure not. Once fired random head stamp brass. Originally my setup had some wobble but now it's rock solid.

post-41384-136440396164_thumb.jpg

Step one is to have a rock solid bench. Sounds like you have that taken care of. Step two, I found, is to improve the fit of the feeder to the support tube.

IMHO, the case feeder was really designed for the 1050's square support tube and not the 650's round one. Regardless of how tight I ran the set screw, my 650's feeder had some wobble on the pipe. My fix was to cut some thin strips of plastic and superglue them to the support tube. I used a quantity and shaped them until I had a light press fit to the feeder with zero wobble. My set screw is basically along for the ride now. That mod eliminated 99% of my case feeder jams.

I have found that those type of jams are usually caused by too much brass in the feeder.

Brian

Between zero and 125ish. I add brass, bullets and primers every time I burn through 100 primers.

Clutch is factory. Speed is slow. Factory feed plate, don't have any others to trade with, if I recall correctly it was labeled .45acp, either that or the bullet feeder plate was...

I haven't looked at the brass that's stuck to see if there's a trend with that, never thought about it from that aspect.

I have that happen on my xl650 set up and 45acp brass most often when the case feed is on hi-speed. Low - Speed setting seems to pretty much eliminate the occurrence of

but not totally.

I've just learned to live with it and on my setup it isn't happening all that often, on slow speed, so not a big PITA for me..

See the little silver metal piece? Slide it over to the right (as you are looking at your feeder). Your problems will greatly decrease!

This one? And how far to the right?

post-41384-0-91720300-1364916040_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Well, this is my first encounter with this issue big time... after many, many years of using Dillon presses. I have four case feeders on different machines, and the jams there are so infrequent as to be of no concern.

But now I just bought one more, to be installed on Case Pro machine. And this one will not run without a jam for 15 minutes, which pretty much almost completely defeats its purpose - I can't leave the room.

Full bucket... almost empty... High speed... Slow... doesn't seem to make any difference.

I moved that metal piece, and it is still doing it. The installation is pretty sturdy.

Any other things I should try? It is configured for 9mm.

Edited by Foxbat

It is possible that the jam occurs in your case feeder because your bench has movement in it when you are pushing hard on the handle to seat the primer.

Take note on how you operate the handle to see if that could be the cause of the problem.

It is 9mm, and it is on the Case Pro 100, not on a press, but the feeding mechanism is the same, down the same tube.

I would say the whole structure is about as sturdy as the other four feeders, but I will try to make it even sturdier.

Anything else comes to mind?

Edited by Foxbat

It is 9mm, and it is on the Case Pro 100, not on a press, but the feeding mechanism is the same, down the same tube.

I would say the whole structure is about as sturdy as the other four feeders, but I will try to make it even sturdier.

Anything else comes to mind?

Try running it empty into a can or something instead of onto the active case pro. If it runs fine just simply feeding then movement could be the issue. Mine has only ever jammed if I run it on high instead of low but it would drop cases upside down when it was hooked to the press because slight movement. Mounted it off the press and it never jams now.