Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear muff NRR rating

BobS761

I started out using foam ear plugs, NRR 32. Bought some Peltor muffs, NRR21 and they seem fine at matches, and are easier for me to wear all day. I worry that NRR 21 may not be enough, even though I was comfortable with their performance. What, if any, is the recommended minimum NRR for our shooting games?

Thanks, Bob

I have tried several muffs, both expensive and cheap, electronic and passive. The only muffs that keep my ears from ringing after shooting an Open gun are cheap $15 muffs at 33nrr.

I use foam plugs along with Peltor electronic. IMO there is no such thing as too much and most people do not stick the foam plugs in far enough to really seal the canal as they should. I learned this working around electric arc furnaces for 30 years.

I use foam plugs along with Peltor electronic. IMO there is no such thing as too much and most people do not stick the foam plugs in far enough to really seal the canal as they should. I learned this working around electric arc furnaces for 30 years.

Been there myself! I'm very prudent with hearing protection. I even wear plugs at work where not required, just because it is noisy. Maybe I'll just muff and plug. Hearing loss is accumulative, and you don't know it's gone until it is.

BTW, I've even seen guys sleep in a melt shack. Never figured out how the could do it. Oh yeah! They were deaf!

I use electronic muffs when shooting so i can hear the RO but put in plugs when standing around not actually shooting at a match. Stay away from the noise when not shooting it will help. Problem is I end up ROing half the day.

My better half and I just recently started using the HL Impact PRO, electronics. So far so good, with a mix of indoor and outdoor shooting. She's way smarter and has doubled up with sonic ep's and light duty 23nrr cups from the very start, hoping these new PRO's will allow for better range awareness etc.

I played the drums since a youth, and have been around noisy bands and motorcycle/motorsport activities for years.... my hearing is degrading as I type.