Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rule number for production gun

mike4045

Its there a rule number that states that a production gun can't be single action only ( browning hi power). Other than the list that does not include it our the rule that states it must start decocked. Or the other club lets me shoot production if I only load 10. He also feels it isn't fair to go to open for a rules violation. I went thru rule book on my phone but didn't see the rule.

I know that was just looking for a specific rule number. Showed him the list. He wanted a specific rule number that says he can't use it in production. Thought was one that stated double action or striker fired as types.

The approved list is pretty much a set of rules. Example:

Browning - BDA (30.4 oz.), BDM (31 oz.), PRO40 (33 oz.), PRO9 (30 oz.)[/color

Pretty much how we interpreted it. He's just being a pia.

App D4 Special Considerations

A handgun may be approved and added to the USPSAApproved Production

Handgun List after the NROI Manufacturer’s Declaration form stating that

a minimum of 2000 complete handguns have been manufactured and available to the general public has been submitted and NROI has inspected the

handgun for compliance

The gun is legal in all divisions except Revolver and Production.

From the 2004 Rulebook:

16. Only handguns approved and listed on the IPSC website may be used in Production Division.

17. Single-action-only handguns are prohibited. First shot must be double action. Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked. Competitors in this Division who, after the issuance of the start signal and prior to making the first shot, cock the hammer on a handgun which has a loaded chamber, will incur one procedural penalty per occurrence. Note that a procedural penalty will not be assessed if the first double action shot attempted fails to discharge due to a malfunction, or in respect of courses of fire where the ready condition requires the competitor to prepare the hand- gun with an empty chamber. In these cases, the competitor may fire the first shot single action.

That was done away with in the 2008 rulebook which under Appendix D4, item 19 states:

Handgun specific approval for Division Yes - see Special Conditions

The special condition reads:

A handgun may be approved and added to the USPSA Approved Production Handgun List after the NROI Manufacturer’s Declaration form stating that a minimum of 2000 complete handguns have been manufactured and available to the general public has been submitted and NROI has inspected the handgun for compliance.

Those are the rules that have historically been applicable. That should illustrate the importance of the Production gun list in determining the suitability of a specific gun to the Division.

8.1.2.1 ready condition

30 • USPSA Handgun Rules, June 2010 Edition

8.1.2 Self-loading Pistols:

8.1.2.1 “Single action” – chamber loaded, hammer cocked, and the safe-

ty engaged.

and D4 special conditions

USPSA Handgun Rules, June 2010 Edition • 81

APPENDIX D4 — Production Division (Contd.)

Special conditions:

— Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked at the start signal.

Since a BHP is a single action pistol, it cannot comply with both.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

8.1.2.1 ready condition

30 • USPSA Handgun Rules, June 2010 Edition

8.1.2 Self-loading Pistols:

8.1.2.1 “Single action” – chamber loaded, hammer cocked, and the safe-

ty engaged.

and D4 special conditions

USPSA Handgun Rules, June 2010 Edition • 81

APPENDIX D4 — Production Division (Contd.)

Special conditions:

— Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked at the start signal.

Since a BHP is a single action pistol, it cannot comply with both.

Very nice! You sir, are a rules lawyer of the first order!

So, it is against the rules to start a shooter with a single action gun if the hammer is de-cocked? I always thought the onus was on the shooter to make sure they were ready to shoot, except for eyes and ears...

The onus is on the shooter. However the onus is on the RO to notice if a competitor holsters a single action pistol without applying the safety, and to dq the competitor......

mike4045,

I was not being a pia, just asked where the rule was and what it was. We both found the answer as to it having an external hammer can not be in production class. So that put it in limited 10.

So please the next time you want to express something on the forum, please explain the whole issue.

Thanks,

Mike

We both found the answer as to it having an external hammer can not be in production class.

Having an external hammer has nothing to do with it. External hammers are legal in Production DIVISION. Single action guns are not.

The best way to figure out if a gun is legal for Production is to just reference the approved list. If it's not there it's a no go.

And it looks like it used to be layed out in an old rulebook as mentioned above. But dude, it's 2012 and the current rulebook is from 2008. Try to keep up with the changes!! :)