Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.4" sight tracker barrel in a 5" slide gun?

EngineerEli

Hey all,

I have my 5" SVI Sight Tracker at the factory right now for some service the barrel is going to be replaced and I was trying to find out if a weird idea I had would work, or really be beneficial. I have been very interested in the new 5.4" sight trackers SVI is coming out with now, seems like it would be a good trade off between the 6" and 5". (it seems to be a popular length in other guns, CZ Tactical sport, XDM 5.25, G34/35) Added sight radius, better velocity with the same load, hopefully good balance.

What I have been searching for is weather or not it is possible, or if anyone ever has put a longer barrel in a shorter slide. I would be interested in spending the extra $20 for the 5.4" barrel in my 5" gun. It would ideally give me the benefits I mentioned above, without the potentially excessive weight of a full 5.4" gun, not to mention the cost of buying a whole new gun. I am also trying to figure out if it would look OK, or really strange. I know I should care more about how it performs, but I don't want it to look too out there.

If anyone has any experience with this or pictures, please link or post!

Thanks,

Eli

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STI Trusight comes to mind. Pesonally the Cheely or Freedom 6 inchers with fluted bull barrel, lightened slide on a standard dust cover frane is the way to go if you want an over engineered gun that is the bees knees. Your gun will work just as well too as many championships have been won with your current configuration. 5 inches is plenty of sight radius, if your vision is going put a dot and comp on it and go loud :)

what am thinking... since your slide is already cut for a STracker barrel in the 5" config., changing to the 5.4 STracker barrel the rear of the weighted area on top of the barrel may be a shorter length than your 5" barrel?

does that make sense?

I believe they call that the rib and that is a valid concern. I actually am waiting for a call back from Brandon at SV so I'll let you all know what he said.

Thanks for posting the link to that article that is roughly what it would look like now I just have to decide if I like that look or not.

I think that gun was a 5 in barrel with an imm slide. Anyone know how long those actually are?

Here is another article about Jorge Ballesteros with a few more pics from other angels, how do you guys think it looks? Granted his is a 4.5 in slide and 5" barrel and i would be doing a 5" butler cut frame/slide with a 5.4" barrel.

http://ipscguns.wordpress.com/2009/11/14/entrevista-con-jorge-ballesteros/

This is just what I had built. 6" Schuemann bbl, 5" tri topped slide, short dustcover, Brazos slide racker.

The bbl looks like its ported but the holes don't go all the way through. I just wanted to lighten the bbl a little and it looks good.

post-5006-0-03547600-1363313117_thumb.jp

Edited by al503

I had a long and really good conversation with Brandon at SV. He say the idea could totally work and actually has been requested a number of times in Europe but has have not yet been finished. At this point, the 5.4" barrel in the government slide is the best performing choice, but I need to decide aesthetically if I want to go with it or a standard 5" slide. I guess the question is would you buy a used SVI that looked like this or would the weird factor kill any resale value, when I decide to change out guns. Honestly I may have the gun till it is completely shot out anyway so it may make no difference.

This is just what I had built. 6" Schuemann bbl, 5" tri topped slide, short dustcover, Brazos slide racker.

The bbl looks like its ported but the holes don't go all the way through. I just wanted to lighten the bbl a little and it looks good.

Thanks for the pic al503. So that is a full inch of extension, 4 tenths of extension is going to be much less so it may not even be that noticeable. I would still love to see a pic of the actual proportions if anyone has one.

a local shooter has a similar gun, with a longer rib

I shot a drill with it and was impressed on how it ran, 6" sight radius with a super light 5" slide,

myself and another shooter have been talking about getting a bunch of different 5" and 6" guns together and running a bunch of back to back drills to see which works best

You'll never want to sell you SV anyways, so go for it and let us know how you like it. Brandon didn't want to build my 5.4 as a Sight Tracker. He was building bushing guns just like the 6 inch guns but once he got on board, now everyone wants a 5.4 Sight Tracker and now 6 inch models.

You just have to agree to let us all play with it when we see you.

Roy Neal

Team SV Infinity

Looking at your picture again and it is growing on me, I kind of like the stepped look, it is the same distance from the end of the dust cover to the slide then from the end of the slide to the end of the barrel. It should look the same with mine because I will only have the 0.4" of extra barrel but will only have the about 0.5" from the butler cut dustcover/slide. Do you all agree or no?

Good looking gun Al - when my Limited gun is done I'll have even more sight radius but similar idea. Gunsmith is giving me a thinking-outside-the-box discount.

Good looking gun Al - when my Limited gun is done I'll have even more sight radius but similar idea. Gunsmith is giving me a thinking-outside-the-box discount.

Thanks,

Be sure to post pics when its done. My guess: Trubor blank or unported comp bbl with sight at the end of the 'comp?'

Thanks,

Be sure to post pics when its done. My guess: Trubor blank or unported comp bbl with sight at the end of the 'comp?'

I have a build right now that's going to be like that. I plan to have it cut like an open gun but without the ports going all the way through (like the other guy). :lol: