Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mill

donnyglock

Guys Im buying a mill for some 1911 gunsmithing. It will be going into my garage. I want to do slide lightening,barrel fitting,sight cuts....etc. I was looking at the shop fox m1001 6x26 with power feed and adding a dro or the shop fox m1004 9x49 with 2 axis dro and power feed. Both theese machines come with a 1 1/2 hp 220 single phase motor. Thats perfect for my garage. Heres my question for the guys doing this work. Enough machine? Also how important is the z axis dro. I would have to add that to the 1004.

One more thing. I am concerned about the wieght of the 1004. 2400lbs is alot and not sure about getting that beast in my garage. I have no fork lift to unload and set it in place. Thoughts?

Thanks guys

If you can afford to have it delivered...do so, the delivery guys may have a forklift they will send out with the trucker (you may have to pay extra). As for setting up in the garage you should be able to rent a pallet jack from your local rental place. Getting it off the pallet will essentially mean two or three buddies or a shop crane...the crane will pay for it's rental when you're leveling it and have to keep lifting/tilting it to get the shims under it. Sure sounds heavy enough for enough machine. Can you add the z axis later (like bolt on?) or would it have to be professionally done? That should clue your answer. Good luck with it, and be sure to post pics of your projects.

Oh, and......JEALOUS!!! :cheers:

I hope you have lots of friends, getting on the ground was the toughest when I had mine delivered. I used some steel pipes to roll it around once it was on the ground, moved pretty easy. I am no expert (I did stayed at a holiday inn express last night) by any means but I don't think the Z axis is needed, all I have is a 2-axis and its all I need. I think most of the Z work is in relatively small increments anyway.

here is mine right after DRO installation

post-11093-0-62513300-1362269957_thumb.j

You might want to check out "Lost Creek Machine", they are just north of Ottawa. They have some nice used Bridgeports now and then with read outs and power feeds at reasonable prices.

Rich

I lucked into mine. I had been looking for months and was about to give up and found it less then a mile from my house on craigslist for $2000 w/ a 6" kurt vise. rollback tow truck, 2 friends and it was in the garage in a couple hours. the cleaning and repainting is a different story, took about 2-weeks getting it looking good.

All you need on the readout is X and Y. You can do the Z axis accurately with the dial on the knee because gravity always keeps all the backlash out of that leadscrew. From what I've seen you can get more machine for the same money with other brands. Jet and Shop Fox are usually way overpriced. Look up Grizzly, Taig, Precision Matthews, Enco, Shars, etc.

I just looked at the web site for the place rich suggested. I am going to pay them a visit next week. I agree buying local would be the best bet If I can find what Im looking for.

Repainting one might be a fun project in itself.

Toolguy

The smaller shop fox with the options and extra warranty did not seem to bad on the price.

I looked at grizzly(same machine) and they were about the same with the options. I will check out the rest you suggested. Thanks for the other brand names to check out.

I just looked at the web site for the place rich suggested. I am going to pay them a visit next week. I agree buying local would be the best bet If I can find what Im looking for.

Repainting one might be a fun project in itself.

mine was made in 1968, I learned alot cleaning and re-painting it. I took a chip to my local auto paint store and had them mix me up some to match. instead of spraying it and keeping my wife from killing me by painting her car green I used a thinning agent and brushed it on. came out just fine. When I was researching almost all in the know said I was better off buying an older bridgeport or clone than buying a new Chinese unit.

I am going to disagree with the others on the z axis DRO. I used a buddies mill with just the dials for over a year and thought it was fine. Then I bought my own machine with a 3 axis DRO. I would not go back to just using the dials ever again. This may not be a must have item, but it really is nice. If it does not break the bank, go for it.

After looking at the specs on the thing, I've got to say you need more mill. Trust me, you're gonna want more cowbell, er mill. :^)

That one only has about 16" x 6" of travel. The first time you want to put sights on a long gun, you'll wish you had more. And once your friends know you have a mill, you'll have plenty of projects longer than that.

I've had a slightly bigger one in my garage for 20 years and have had plenty of times I wanted more.

The specs I see say it weighs 936 pounds...you can wrestle it around pretty easily.

If you think you might use a lot of cutting fluid, you might consider a big drip pan for it.

With that said, it is such a joy to have the resource, when you want it...have fun.

Edit: Speaking of the smaller one, of course.

Edited by pyrrhic3gun

Thanks again for all the replies. It seems the more I research the more I have to learn(which is kinda cool). Also the more i learn the more confused on which machine I want. I have time so its all good.

Well I made my purchase. I went with the grizzly g0678 and I am putting a 3 axis DRO and x axis power feed as well. For carbide cutters whats the best aprox rpm and feed rates. Thanks again to all that helped out with solid advise.

Don

Well I made my purchase. I went with the grizzly g0678 and I am putting a 3 axis DRO and x axis power feed as well. For carbide cutters whats the best aprox rpm and feed rates. Thanks again to all that helped out with solid advise.

Don

Speed depends on the cutter diameter/material, and the material you are cutting. Learn to calculate SFM (surface feet/minute) and what numbers are reasonable for what materials. There is no one speed to use, which is why all mills have more than one speed!

Mike

Run your carbide tooling the same as HSS. Don't listen to people that say "it's carbide so you have to rum 10.,000 RPM". Quality High Speed Steel cutters are still a viable choice for most things.

That mill is a good choice. Make sure to tram the head in and indicate the vise in before you start cutting. You need a dial test indicator for that.

You will never regret spending the money for the DRO. It is much harder to do accurate work without it. I was running Bridgeports for a living before there was such a thing as DRO. I was really happy when those came along!

Digital readouts and an X axis power feed are the only way to go. As has been said, the Z axis can be taken care of with a good DTI. A Bridgeport is so freekin much fun to have in your shop. The uses are almost endless.

Pat

A better way to go would probably be 220v single phase in and 220v 3 phase out. That's what I'm doing with my 2 full size CNCs and it works very well. They came from the factory with VFDs for that very setup. I'm working full time at home and can't get 220 3 phase to the home shop. You will draw a lot less amps from the 220 in config. which should lower the electric bill and put a lot less stress on the wiring.

Edited by Toolguy