Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer for .22 Rifle?

tobydog

Our club recently went to using .22 rifle for steel challenge as well as pistols. Our problem is the timers won't consistantly pick up the shots from saome rifles. We require non-subsonic ammo. We're using Pact Club Timer 3 timers, also tried some old Speed-timer 3000 timers we found in the shed at the range. None seemed consistant. What are others using for rifle? We finally discovered if we put the timer on a lathe stick, activated it and held it out under the barrel of the rifles, it would pick up the shots. Shooters said that didn't bother them as long as it was below eye-sight and not moving around. The most inconsistant rifle was one Remington 597, yet another one seemed OK. Tried different ammo as well, same results. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

At our ruger Rimfire matches we have to adjust the sensitivity on the timers to the most sensitive. Then as long as the the receiver from the timer is facing the end of the barrel and the timer is in front of the shooters body it works fine. Its a great excuse to get a comp like John Allchin sells. The comp makes the gun louder and looks cool.

Our club uses Pocket Pro II's. The guys I usually squad with use a personal one adjusted to the max sensitivity. The rimfire handguns are never a problem. The rifles....you definitly have to pay more attention to the timer position. About the same height (or a tad lower) as the ejection port and out of the shooer's way seems to work. I put a comp on my Nordic Precision AR upper (.22 rimfire) to make the report a little louder. I run a TacSol 2211 comp on that gun.

We actually did a test comparing with and without the comp. We can stand 3 foot further away using the comp than we can without it. Not that we DO stand farther away it just seems the timer is more forgiving when the comp is used. We tried this test with CC Mini-Mags and Blazers. We were very deliberate teasting this and I'm convinced it does help.

This years State Steel Match I shot a 10/22 factory barrel in Iron division and a tricked out 10/22 in Open division. Both have no comp's and never had to reshoot a string because the timer didn't pick up.

Keith

• 1 month later...

If The RO faces the timer towards the ejection port and stay as close as possible w/o interferring with the shooter you will pick up all of the shots. We use the CED blue timers mostly and this works fine

I should say that I also have the sensitivity turned up max on that CED timer. This worked fine at a match yesterday. Only problem is an ejected shell hitting the timer after the last shot will add time

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Position the timer over the rifle's ejection port. I hold the timer over the head of the shooter out of their line of sight and right over the ejection port. Seems to work okay for us. Also, as stated above, increase the sensitivity of the timer if possible.