Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xdm 5.25 9mm vs. .45 for IDPA/USPSA

Medicaptain

New here, first post. I have been bitten by the competition shooting bug again. I have been away from it for over 8 years in another state.

I bought the XDM Comp in 9mm and shot in the Cactus League at Ben Avery here in North Phoenix last week, Production. My goal was to go slow, NOT DQ and at least hit most of my targets. Up to 15 yards I was satisfied with my shots but I wasted the longer targets with WAY low and left rounds and completely boned up the 2 steel stars in one stage...boned em badly!

I bought an XDM Comp in .45 this week...(on the very cheap on BP.com) and took both to the range today to work on the adjustable sights. 9mm was low and left to low and WAY left regardless of the adjustments I made so I am guessing its my fundamentals. Took the .45 out not really knowing what to expect and shot very tight groupings after one adjustment to the sight......I LOVE the .45

I have zero formal training, read very little but have always been a pretty decent shot in the past. The 9 just isn't working for me right now and am confused as to how to move forward in competitions...stick with the higher cost of .45 and go to Major or keep working the niner for cost reasons until it "works"?

Ok forum...light me up, make comments or give suggestions to the newbie....thanks everyone

Low left is very common for people who are new to the XD/m line of guns. Work on the basic trigger pull fundamentals and it will come around, another solution is the have a trigger job done. A trigger job will short up all of the movements of the trigger, the factory trigger is just too long. Has the 45 had any work done to it?

Rich

"major" scoring doesn't matter in production as everyone is scored "minor". So XDm Comp in 9mm versus 45acp for USPSA Production - in theory as you pointed out, lower cost, also less recoil and hopefully faster follow-up. But if you shoot them side by side with the clock and you're getting better/faster hits with the 45 and you don't mind the cost aspect go with that - especially if you're relatively new, it's not like you're at the ragged edge of your potential. Either way you go you'll continue to improve as you practice and shoot more matches.

Regardless, I would work your dry fire, work your fundamentals, and see if you can get that 9mm hitting spot on. Low left might very well be a little bit of trigger slap.

~Mitch

I had the same problem shooting 9mm's vs. .45's. I shot the .45's way better. For me, shooting the .45 was masking fundemental problems. Once I started taking my shooting serious and started not only shooting a match every weekend, but lots of range time and dry fire practice, my shooting improved by 10 fold. Then my 9's became the "go to" guns and the .45's now reside in the safe. Not only does the reduced recoil help with follow up shots, but the price of 9mm reloading components is a heck of a lot cheaper as well. I have since changed from my Glock 34's to a XDM 5.25 in 9mm and couldn't be happier! I love this gun. I had Daniel at Powder River Precision do his competition 2.5# trigger and it is like night and day from stock. I have had a great experience with everyone at PRP. Also changed the front sight to a slimmer .100" Dawson FO front sight. SS guide rod, 16# recoil spring and some grip tape. PRP does great work. I have also heard nothing but great things about Rich at Canyon Creek and Scott at Springer Precision as well. All Top notch guys with great customer service. Good luck and practice,practice and practice!

All excellent advice guys...sending gun to local gunsmith for trigger job (retains all stock parts, I shot another match partners today.....it IS VERY different). Good thing is, I really like the challenge of improving my skills....

Practicing as we speak/type.

I don't know if this will help or not. I have a 45 tactical that came from Canyon Creek and shot it in limited uspsa and 3 gun. When the 5.25 came out I got a nine strictly for 3 gun. I made the mistake of putting a carver mount and dot on it and struggled. Near the end of last year I dumped the dot and put back in a slightly taller Dawson front sight. From what I have seen so far I like the 9 better. If I shoot that one in uspsa for fun when I'm not at a 3 gun I will probably use it with the 28 round mags regardless of putting me in open and minor as well I think.

Maybe for the time being shoot which one you like and shoot better and don't sweat about the division it puts you in until you get more comfortable.

I'm never gong to win the match and be a sponsored shooter so I shoot what I like and division be damned.

I also have the 5.25 in .45. Love this gun. Dropped in the Powder River trigger, added grip tape and made a few other changes as well. You can see the videos on my YouTube channel: http://www.bigdawgbeav.com

I shoot IDPA CDP and I plan on using the .45 in ESP as well. If I can drop my 200gr. velocity down to 650 ft/sec then I would think I could compete with any 9mm.

thanks guys...and BIGDAWG....cool youtube page bigdog and I really like your train of thought KentG...I too will never be sponsored, just wanna hit the A setion as often as possible.

I pumped another 350 rounds through today....tried different grips, tension, trigger pulls etc....still left and way left. I had my old S&W 669 in a box in my car (selling it today....maybe) and loaded it up and was SPOT on...fired another 100 through the 669 with very good results.

I gotta get a trigger job on the XDM...I did notice when I went back to it the pull seemed LONG and inconsistent. Unfortunately, if I had a match tonight....I would use the 669 which is a bummer

Edited by Medicaptain

thanks guys...and BIGDAWG....cool youtube page bigdog and I really like your train of thought KentG...I too will never be sponsored, just wanna hit the A setion as often as possible.

I pumped another 350 rounds through today....tried different grips, tension, trigger pulls etc....still left and way left. I had my old S&W 669 in a box in my car (selling it today....maybe) and loaded it up and was SPOT on...fired another 100 through the 669 with very good results.

I gotta get a trigger job on the XDM...I did notice when I went back to it the pull seemed LONG and inconsistent. Unfortunately, if I had a match tonight....I would use the 669 which is a bummer

The drop in trigger from PRP is excellent and requires no fitting. You can go with one of their other ones but it requires minor fitting mostly with the overtravel stop. Low and left is a common problem with polymer guns. Sometimes it is a grip and "getting used to it" sort of thing. I had some of that. Luckily the rear sight on the 5.25 is adjustable!

I'm with many out there in probably never having a sponsor, but I'm not a professional, so it makes sense.

• 2 months later...

I've got a 4.5 .45 I run in cdp and just recently picked up a 5.25 9mm for esp. I've gotten pretty surgical with the xdm platform, both on stock triggers.

here's the kicker, I've shot so much with my xdms that I couldn't shoot with my sti Spartan. all shots left of aim. the trigger in that was nice too.

op - with enough dry fire you'll get used to the reset of the xdm. keep at it.

I bought the XDM Comp in 9mm but I wasted the longer targets with WAY low and left rounds

I bought an XDM Comp in .45 this week and shot very tight groupings after one adjustment to the sight......I LOVE the .45

One possibility is that your 9mm is sighted in improperly.

If you can hit the bullseye with your XDM .45, I can't think of a single reason you can't hit

the target with your XDM 9mm - same gun, same trigger.

I'd suggest setting up a target at 20 yards, hunker down onto a bench of some sort,

and fire Very Slowly, a 15 shot group. See if that gets closer to the bullseye.

If NOT, I'd move the sights, and try it again. If gun is shooting to the left, then I'd move

the rear sight to the right.

Other possibility is to change ammo - lighter or heavier bullet - slower or faster bullet.

It could walk the POI into the bullseye as well.

Good luck. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I have a XDm comp in 45 and my plan is to shoot it in IDPA CDP and eventually in USPSA Limited-10

My thought process was that CDP is the only div in IDPA that requires a 45 so that's a no brainer. You can also shoot it in ESP though and the only difference will be loading 2 extra rounds in a mag.

And as fantastic as it is that the 45 XDs hold 13 rounds the extended base plates only add 3 which puts it at 16+1 which isn't really competitive in Limited. You get no advantage for shooting 45 in Production, so to me Limited 10 makes the most sense, the mag thing isn't a problem and you get major scoring. If you can shoot the 45 faster than you can shoot the 9mm then this is really a no brainer for you.

The only down side to the 45 is finding a magwell that is IDPA legal that works. Watch BigDawgBeav's videos to see what I mean.

The Canyon Creek base pad kit will get the capacity up to 18+1, they also have a mag well for the .45 frame.

Rich

Hmm interesting. Researching now. Is the Canyon Creek mag well IDPA legal? Will it fit in the box?

Will the Canyon Creek mag extensions work with the Pistol Gear mag well?

Edited by JesseM

I have the XD ACP magwell on my XDM .45 5.25. It's permanent but its awesome! It also works with stock mags as long as you have a slam pad.

http://www.shop.canyoncreekcustom.com/product.sc?productId=24&categoryId=14

I also have my Canyon Creek magazines on the way.

http://www.shop.canyoncreekcustom.com/product.sc?productId=36&categoryId=13

XDMampXDS_zpse9fe8b08.jpg

Edited by ChuckB