Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classic vs Modified division

It's basically an open gun that has to fit into a IPSC Standard box. Major had to be .40 or higher, you could shoot 9mm but it would score as minor but would give you a couple of extra rounds in the magazine. They were difficult guns to shoot well.

Edited by BritinUSA

Several pistol makers (S&W M&P CORE, FN, etc.) are coming out with guns set up for optics out of the factory but not with compensators. I also see more and more folks moving towards a dot sight on their guns for open carry, nightstand, etc. Also given some of the current political junk where a dot sight is OK but a threaded barrel is not this idea makes sense.

I need to think about this a bit, but if you could shoot modified division with a 9mm scoring major it would have no effect on the 40 limited guns and it could make gunsmiths and vendors very happy and it would also give 9 major another place to play besides full blown open. Maybe we should look into this..

Edited by Rick88

It was a pretty unpopular division in IPSC. The guns are a handful to shoot and can get very expensive. Like make an Open gun look cheap expensive. Originally it was meant to be a division for reasonable open guns. Same size as Standard but you could add comps and Optics if you could fit them in the box. It never came to the US because we don't have a standard box and at least in my opinion it was a silly arbitrary standard to determine legality and practicality by the ability to stuff it in a box. I'd be willing to bet that most of the people who want modified back have either never fired a modified gun or have one they built and can't sell. Just a guess though.

I'd love to see modified return in IPSC, with one change. A maximum lens size of 27mm so it would be a division for just the small optics (Deltapoint, RMR, CTS, etc).

The demise of modified division came at the same time as the acceptation of these smaller dot sights on non competition guns, I never really understood the timing. The fact that it was "in the air" that IPSC wanted to get rid of modified division for several years didn't help get new shooters in, as why would you want to make a big investment if the future was not certain?

I'd be willing to bet that most of the people who want modified back have either never fired a modified gun ...

Guilty. But I don't see how a comped 40 cal with a dot sight and *thumb rest [generic]* on it would be any more difficult to shoot than a standard 40 limited gun without comp and optic and *thumb rest [generic]*. If there is something else going on here I cannot understand without shooting one that makes it so difficult, please enlighten me. I mean, I have put A LOT of 310gr 44 Magnum downrange with very accurate results and never found it particularly difficult.

I friend of mine who had some time behind one once opined on how Modified fits between Limited/Standard (has to 40 and 170 PF) and Open (comp and optic), "its the wost of both divisions".

I think they are really cool looking guns but maybe thats because I haven't shot one and don't own one.