Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clearing House for New Division Ideas

beltjones

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So for. 22 we need to have 4 new divisions, and we scratch the V?

1) revo. 22

2) L-10 .22

3) Lim .22

4) open .22

The logistics of adding RF are just too great. I don't get a special lane to drive 90mph to work in, I have to shlep along with everyone else.

I can see some marriage of SS and L10.

Long time proponent of a .22 division. Never heard an argument that couldn't be solved with a little thought. Iron sight/optic sight is all that's necessary as far as dividing it up. Some thought would have to go into steel, but not much. Maybe a little in capacity, but again fairly easy to overcome.

I shot with a jr shooter one time and everyone let him use his optic sighted .22. What a day that young man had. Smiles, smiles, smiles. Convert for life.

Never understood the naysayers. Yes there are games for the .22, but none as adrenaline pumping as uspsa IMHO, you'd get shooters for life.

So you're willin g to give up the Vis in DVC. What's next? Knockdown steel, movement, movers, stages longer than ten rounds? There are solid reasons why this is a centerfire game.....

Our club has a match held 9-10 months a year especially for .22s The guys running it have gone out and built their own steel that is specific to .22s. They run using a somewhat modified set of USPSA rules. The Safety Rules are followed 100%, the mods have to do with not using holsters, everyone limited to 10 rounds, magazines stages through the stage.

The run 4 divisions, Pistol and Rifle/Carbine, Iron and Optic. They get about 35-40 people out, some cross over from USPSA to Rimfire Action, others cross over to USPSA from Rimfire.

It is a great program and it compliments USPSA, but it is NOT USPSA and cannot be run concurrently with a USPSA match. To many differences.

Our club has a match held 9-10 months a year especially for .22s The guys running it have gone out and built their own steel that is specific to .22s. They run using a somewhat modified set of USPSA rules. The Safety Rules are followed 100%, the mods have to do with not using holsters, everyone limited to 10 rounds, magazines stages through the stage.

The run 4 divisions, Pistol and Rifle/Carbine, Iron and Optic. They get about 35-40 people out, some cross over from USPSA to Rimfire Action, others cross over to USPSA from Rimfire.

It is a great program and it compliments USPSA, but it is NOT USPSA and cannot be run concurrently with a USPSA match. To many differences.

If that were to be formally created, I'd have no problem with USPSA acquiring or creating it under their corporate umbrella.....

I'd think it would fit in with the brand, while promoting cross over appeal....

Mpolans. Do you know how the SRTS works? how the modification is done? I would have agreed with you as well till I figured out how it was done.

I don't know the internals, but have seen how it works. I think there's even a video in the CZ forum that shows it. It's a bit of a misnomer as it removes virtually all of the pre-travel for single-action shots more than actually change the reset.

Regardless, for all but the first shot, when the gun is in battery, a CZ with the SRTS mod is visibly different than one with out the mod...the trigger visibly further to the rear due to the removed pre-travel.

If D4, 21.1 were to apply only for the first shot or before the start signal, I wouldn't think this would be a problem. However, D4, 21.1 contains no such limiting language. It's worth noting that other parts of the rule do contain such limiting language, so it only makes sense that D4, 21.1 is not supposed to be limited to the first shot or prior to the start signal.

Firstly, I do not have an SRTS on my CZ.

Secondly, the level of precision of the handbook just is not sufficient, thus, leaves much room for interpretation. One can argue that the handbook-stated, visible/external modification is only applied when the firearm is in its static position. Or, when the magazine is not inserted into an SRTS-CZ, you'd never see any visible change even when the trigger is pulled as the gun will never go into single action. My point being there is ample room for a "fair" interpretation of the rule.

Thirdly, in the spirit of fair competition, I just don't think SRTS makes a meaningful difference. Ergo, leave it be.

Finally, please start a different thread, in a different forum to discuss the legality of SRTS.

Edited by justaute

I'd like to throw out an entirely different idea for a new division that I've been wanting to see for a while: One that would allow lasers and weapon-mounted lights.

Practical shooting competition has a history of being somewhat of a proving ground for what works and what doesn't. Well, these things have been around for quite a while now and some people really swear by them. I'd kind of like to see how they do relative to others. I know they wouldn't exactly be in their element during the day when most matches are shot, but I still reckon we should let them try, even if it had to be their own division.

Also, I have to agree with those opposed to a rimfire division. In other shooting sports, great. But USPSA is supposed to be about speed, power, and accuracy in roughly equal measures. I think a .22 division would make make it not-at-all about power.

I think USPSA has most things covered without overly favoring one or two manufacturers like a JM Browning division would. Still like the idea of a "do anything you want as long as it fits in a box" division like Modified.

How about Modified with no single action first shot? This might help make it a development playground for future duty weapons. Maybe reconsider the dimensions of the box to better explore the trade-offs of mag capacity vs. red dot vs. comp. Or (maybe in addition to), include an overall weight limit. I'd love to see what solutions manufacturers and gunsmiths could come up with.

I'd like to throw out an entirely different idea for a new division that I've been wanting to see for a while: One that would allow lasers and weapon-mounted lights.

We already have that division, it is called Open. The green lasers are DL visible moreso than the red. Try it, it is a hoot!

One of the clubs where I shoot a monthly USPSA match also has a Rimfire match run exactly like the one Jim Norman posted above. They have a turn out almost equal to the USPSA match. Also quite a few women shooting it that do not cross over.

I disagree that USPSA is equally balanced. The speed factor out weighs power and accuracy by a great deal.

1 Allow 15 rounds in production.

2 If you really want to grow revolver have a speedloader division because there are tons of 38 revolvers out there that people can start with without having to have a 625 or 610 to be competive.

3 Lump Single Stack and L10 together. Maybe with the 8 major 10 minor staying because there is no advantage (real or precived) to shooting L10 minor now.

Here are my thoughts based on this and other threads Ive read recently:

1. NO .22 in USPSA. There are other sports to play with your rimfire.

2. Let other single stack pistols play in single stack. I get that 1911's are the coolest, but why not let Sig P220's and SW 4506's play along?

3. I like the idea of a "Modified-esque" division. I dont carry with an optic, but Ive given it some thought. I know you can shoot it in Open, but a 19 with an RMR would not be terribly competitive. Lets have a division where you can shoot your carry gun with an optic, and maybe some stippling under the trigger guard. Ohhh. Scary. Sounds fun to me.

4. Make revolver 8 shot friendly. I know. I know. There is a thread for that, but I dont want to get into it over there.

Here is my great idea for a division change. Let's have a Classic Division. We would do away with Single Stack and instead, in Classic Division, you could run either a 1911 or a Browning Hi-Power. The 1911s in 40 and 45 would score major, 9mm would score minor. Same magazine rules as currently apply in SS. The Hi-Powers in 9mm would score minor, the 40s would score major. BHP in 9mm limited to 10 rounds in mag, those in 40 limited to 8 rounds in mag. We would need a weight limit for the BHP and we could still use the same box as is currently used in SS.

I think a lot of people (such as myself) would love to run their BHPs in USPSA. I have done it once or twice just for the heck in limited 10, but it would be so much more fun to run them in a division dedicated to JMBs classics.

The best thing about a Classic division is that it really would not take anything away from the 1911 in terms of its competitiveness in the game and would just bring another old warhorse back out to the course.

That is all.

Edited by lawboy

I think, anyone who shows up at a match with a gun they don't think will be competitive in any of the 6 divisions, should be able to create their own division. Then they can feel good about winning their division. Does it matter they were the only person in the Taurus Judge division?

I think, anyone who shows up at a match with a gun they don't think will be competitive in any of the 6 divisions, should be able to create their own division. Then they can feel good about winning their division. Does it matter they were the only person in the Taurus Judge division?

Now that is funny. I will give you that. :goof: