Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

If it's the same one I looked up it has an R8 spindle. You would want an R8 shank and SEHT 43 inserts.

The R8 spindle is the best choice for a small mill up to Bridgeport size. I have R8 on my 2 full size CNC mills and they do everything I need running a full time professional home shop. The R8 taper has an amazing array of different tooling available for cheap.

Edited by Toolguy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL I HAVE A BIG LIST OF STUFF TO ADD TO THIS PURCHASE TODAY

End Mills and Dove Tail cutters

An AirSpring Kit

A Belt Drive upgrade.

Is there a way to put a Tach on the Harbor Freight? And will it be ok to not have the DROs at first? (that question is irrelevant since I can not afford those right now)

You can do it without DRO's but it is a lot more mental effort. You will need to try and work in one direction to try and eliminate backlash induced error. If budget is a concern you might look at the igaging scales some folks have pretty good luck with those. I would try one of the cheap laser tachometers http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Laser-Tachometer-RPM-Meter-Non-Contact-Motor-Speed-Gauge-Revolution-Spin-/360860530815?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5404f6b87f

I'd love to get in to this too, but I'm sure the wife would wait until I built my first gun and then execute me with it lol.

Fun to read and learn though, thanks guys

Edited by Vanniek71

Just dropped the money on the Harbor Freight Mini Mill.

$475 shipped with the 25% coupon only good for today

Ok why did I have to see this post...... :sick: Now time to do research on this unit. I have been wanting something to just do a little slide lightening or maybe finish a 80% lower. I know really nothing about the CNC process but have messed with CAD a lot. Would you guys say these unit would be ok to use for just like this? The two speed is what worries me that is a huge gap in RPM there