Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use acetone. Sounds like you have just about everything you need to get started. I bought a one pound spool of stainless steel lock wire from harbor freight. I use this for hanging the parts. My gun also came from harbor freight. Cost 34 bucks with regulator. I never stocked up on parts because the gun was so cheep. I have sprayed at leaast ten guns and a ton of parts and the gun sprays excellent.

Also get some cone filters to strain the material as your pouring it into the spray gun. You can get them at harbor as well. Good luck and post lots of pics. Oh one more thing. The metal colors and blacks go on nice and thin. The reds,purples,pinks etc go on thicker.Burnt bronze goes on nice and thin as well.

Edited by donnyglock

So....really you have 2 ways color. Cover finishes and finishes that penetrate the metal. Correct? Of course I assume the penitrating finishes are costly.

Yup and not necessarily. Nitriding is on the inexpensive side and PVD would be on the more expensive side. Nitriding a 1911 at the one gun price from my guy is $85. But being able to do my own Cerakote I figure $10 in materials.

Almost finished with this bad boy. Took for a test fire today and it rocked it! Still need to finish the blending of the slide and flush cut and crown the barrel. I sure love having that blast cabinet! The mag button is a place holder, I thought I ordered it but I guess not ...

finwell.jpg

shooter.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

I just scrolled through about 20 pages reading this awesome thread. I spent the early part of my professional life as a process engineer writing code for high-volume machining processes. There's some impressive stuff going on here!

• 2 weeks later...