Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is AWESOME, I would like to try that one day...... can you do engraving with it..?

Sure can. You can either use an engraving bit or you can make a piggy back mount and mount the engraver/dremel to the mill head. For this project the next addition will be the 4th axis then the engraver.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

I think that is AWESOME, I would like to try that one day...... can you do engraving with it..?

Sure can. You can either use an engraving bit or you can make a piggy back mount and mount the engraver/dremel to the mill head. For this project the next addition will be the 4th axis then the engraver.

VERY COOL set up.......... we may have to talk .

VERY COOL set up.......... we may have to talk .

Anytime!

Great job!! And thank you very much for the photo documentation. If you don't mind me asking how would you rate the difficulty of setting up/ using cnc from a techie standpoint. By that I mean using the software and programming the machine.

By trade I'm a mechanic, and we have a manual Bridgeport at work that we use for small jobs. I am NOT a machinist by trade but have some basic understanding of it. I think like a lot of people it"s the computer side of the CNC stuff that scares me. For instance I know what Linux is, but I've never used it. I don't even know anybody that does.

So for someone with a good mechanical background, but not as computer savvy, how tough is this? I've been saving my pennies and shopping around for a mill at home, and now you've got me seriously interested in CNC.

Thanks, and beautiful work. Both on setting it up and your slide!

Kevin

Great job!! And thank you very much for the photo documentation. If you don't mind me asking how would you rate the difficulty of setting up/ using cnc from a techie standpoint. By that I mean using the software and programming the machine.

By trade I'm a mechanic, and we have a manual Bridgeport at work that we use for small jobs. I am NOT a machinist by trade but have some basic understanding of it. I think like a lot of people it"s the computer side of the CNC stuff that scares me. For instance I know what Linux is, but I've never used it. I don't even know anybody that does.

So for someone with a good mechanical background, but not as computer savvy, how tough is this? I've been saving my pennies and shopping around for a mill at home, and now you've got me seriously interested in CNC.

Thanks, and beautiful work. Both on setting it up and your slide!

Kevin

Thanks!

The software is part of the challenge. I chose to go the Open source route because it is free but with free there are challenges like no support. Support for open source applications and OS's comes from user forums and google. You can go the windows route and use Mach3 control software instead of LinuxCNC. The control software is pretty straight forward the CAD/CAM applications, on the other hand, have a fairly steep learning curve. I have been a geek for a long time so it came easy for me. But once you dig around a little you start to get the concepts and the learning comes easier. I think with a little effort you should have no problem with the software. Most companies offer a trial of their software so you can try it before you decide to jump in.

Edit: I had never used any CAD/CAM applications outside of Google Sketchup (CAD) and it took me about 15days of messing around to get to the point of attempting the 1911 lower.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Won a 45 slide at the Area 2's a few years ago and thought it was time to do something with it before I start cutting a 1911 frame again. So started with the French cut tonight and will do the top serrations this week. The slide was already flat topped and cut for a Novak. This was done using the mill manually.

frenchcut1.jpg

frenchcut2.jpg

Math is hard! :-P I made a few errors but I improvised and it came out great, although not quite how I intended. All in all, not bad for a first effort.

top1.jpg

top2.jpg

How long did that take to do....? I takes me from set up to done about 2 hours....to do the same cut. If I use my multi cuter and run them off the end less then a hour..

How long did that take to do....? I takes me from set up to done about 2 hours....to do the same cut. If I use my multi cuter and run them off the end less then a hour..

Since this was my first one I had the calculator in my hands the whole time so I am about 3.5 hours into this. I was being VERY anal about getting this right but I figure the next one should put me at about 2 hours. I did this manually, not using any GCODE. Once I write a program to do this I figure it might knock off 30 mins.

A quick estimate looks like around 8 mins of cutting time at 10 IPM (15 lines at 5" long). Add in some rapids and other movement and you are at 10-12 mins. If you use a fixture in a vise looks like a 15 min job.

Edited by jid2