Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

Really nice. What's your background skill set ect? just curious. That's one clean garage, you could eat off that floor.

I have been shooting practical since I was 15 with a long break starting at around 22. I spent 16-20 in a friends gunsmithing shop learning and hacking up my own guns. I am the type of soul that must always be leaning and most of the time self taught. Currently I am a Sales Engineer for an internet company (read NERD).

Since I have not done any machining in my past I looked to the internet and found on MIT's site, since MIT has made their core curriculum available online for free, a prototyping/machining course. Took that to get the basics down and then dove in head first. I find, for me, the learning experience must be about trial and error but if you spend time really thinking about the process before taking action you can eliminate a great number of errors.

The floor! LOL We just moved into this house in June and the floor was brand new. I will be working diligently to remove its luster over time. :-)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, one of my goals is to get a small lathe and a mill to work on revolvers. I have seen some of MIT's tutorials on the lathe, there pretty good. Toolguy is a great machinist, I go over there when I can. That's inspirational thanks.

Crap... I was wondering if I was ever going to find something to cut into my shooting time. Thanks for the new hobby, OG.

As a fellow geek, this type of thing is right up my alley. Honestly, can't wait until I can get down into this. Depletion of Income Tax Refund in 3... 2...

Mac

Crap... I was wondering if I was ever going to find something to cut into my shooting time. Thanks for the new hobby, OG.

As a fellow geek, this type of thing is right up my alley. Honestly, can't wait until I can get down into this. Depletion of Income Tax Refund in 3... 2...

Mac

It's my pleasure! :devil:

If you want to get into machining, without having to build it yourself, check out Tormach. I'm sure it is more money than a do it yourself project, but it is a whole lot less than a Haas or Okuma, and it shows up ready to run.

If you want to get into machining, without having to build it yourself, check out Tormach. I'm sure it is more money than a do it yourself project, but it is a whole lot less than a Haas or Okuma, and it shows up ready to run.

I covet the 1100 with all the bells and whistles (about 15k). Once I really max out my LMS that will be my next stop.

I have the red version of that mill with lots of mods (belt drive, shumatec dro, etc) and find it is fine for most 1911 work... I use it to lighten stainless slides, fit barrels, etc with no drama. The only thing I am not sure I could do would be cut a frame for a w/n barrel because of the z axis limit.

I have been thinking about getting a cnc fusion kit for years now but I worry that it will make doing quick little seat of the pants projects with no plans a lot harder.

How well does the pendant work for something like, say, lowering the barrel bed in a 1911? I did that the other night in about 10 mins most of which was dialing in the 1911.

What are you using for cad? I use solidworks at work and find every thing I have tried for cheap/free at home disappointing and frustrating. ..

I have the red version of that mill with lots of mods (belt drive, shumatec dro, etc) and find it is fine for most 1911 work... I use it to lighten stainless slides, fit barrels, etc with no drama. The only thing I am not sure I could do would be cut a frame for a w/n barrel because of the z axis limit.

I have been thinking about getting a cnc fusion kit for years now but I worry that it will make doing quick little seat of the pants projects with no plans a lot harder.

How well does the pendant work for something like, say, lowering the barrel bed in a 1911? I did that the other night in about 10 mins most of which was dialing in the 1911.

What are you using for cad? I use solidworks at work and find every thing I have tried for cheap/free at home disappointing and frustrating. ..

The Z axis is just barley enough on the LMS. It will be a challenge but I think I have a plan for that. The pendant works great! I started cutting flutes in my 41 last night using it. Once the piece is setup it is a piece of cake. Depending on how you program the pendant you can do all kinds of cool stuff. I have also seen, on the web, people making hand wheels that attach to the Stepper motors so you can still use the mill traditionally.

As far as CAD I am usign HeeksCAD, FreeCAD & Sketchup. I am really liking HeeKsCAD because it has a CAM plugin and it is FREE!!! I have not used solidworks (won't pony up the cash) but I hear it is the shiznit.

Sweet. Machining in the garage is a good way to blow through money!

I too built a CNC mill in the garage for having fun and building stuff. I started with a larger machine, and it's taken about 2 years to do the complete conversion including the belt drive, high speed spindle, and power drawbar. But now that it is done, is has a work area the same as a Tormach 1100, but in a much smaller garage footprint, and with a fair amount more spindle speed, power, and servos instead of steppers. I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

IMG_3433.jpg

20121204_230001.jpg

Added some holes to my current gun.

20130101_133907.jpg

IMG_3435.jpg

Building another gun.

20130203_152552.jpg

20130204_212053.jpg

I too built a CNC mill in the garage for having fun and building stuff. I started with a larger machine, and it's taken about 2 years to do the complete conversion including the belt drive, high speed spindle, and power drawbar. But now that it is done, is has a work area the same as a Tormach 1100, but in a much smaller garage footprint, and with a fair amount more spindle speed, power, and servos instead of steppers. I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

You were one of my insperations! I saw your build thread (on another forum). It was your enclosure that inspired mine! I knew you had to be a member here!

CM5000 Love it!

Edited by StraightUp_OG

You were one of my insperations! I saw your build thread (on another forum). It was your enclouser that inspired mine! I knew you had to be a member here!

CM5000 Love it!

Can you point me in that direction?? Very interested

You were one of my insperations! I saw your build thread (on another forum). It was your enclouser that inspired mine! I knew you had to be a member here!

CM5000 Love it!

Can you point me in that direction?? Very interested

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/122462-pm-45_cnc_conversion_rf45-46.html

Since I have not done any machining in my past I looked to the internet and found on MIT's site, since MIT has made their core curriculum available online for free, a prototyping/machining course. Took that to get the basics down and then dove in head first. I find, for me, the learning experience must be about trial and error but if you spend time really thinking about the process before taking action you can eliminate a great number of errors.

Do you happen to have the link for the MIT course?