Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 full day of prep. Two rounds of degreasing, two rounds of etching, dry overnight.

thanks for that info. it helps to know what people in the real world do. I find the paint manufacturers seem to always underestimate the mount of prep actually needed for decent results.

I didn't do any degreasing, just went straight into using first the acid powder mix, then into using hydrochloric acid to etch it and used a pressure washer to blast stuff off it. mine was probably still a full day or more of prep too. takes a long time to dry and make sure ALL the moisture is out of the slab.

OG: the latest gun looks awesome too.

it has me thinking, with all the cool 1911s and 2011 limited type guns you've done will there be a 2011 open build in the future? I'd love to see your take on a modern 2011 open gun. :)

I just got in a G17L slide from LW I'm thinking of maybe chasing the factory serrations with a ball mill. Just curious how it would look.

I have used my mill to mount SJC mounts and my striker work. It has been a great help. My DRO set the X axis head went out already so fixing that :-/.

Is there a way to help with back lash? When I lock my head in place it moves at LEAST a full thou

Thinking about trying geomagic for 3d modeling, any input?

Geomagic works great. It is a very advanced program for the cost. It is designed much like the high end modeling software. Very user friendly. Shoot me a PM if you have any further questions.

Thinking about trying geomagic for 3d modeling, any input?

Geomagic works great. It is a very advanced program for the cost. It is designed much like the high end modeling software. Very user friendly. Shoot me a PM if you have any further questions.

Thank you

Here is the latest build from DK Custom Triggers. I used a LoneWolf G17L slide and chased the factory serrations with a ball end mill. Added the DK CUSTOM TRIGGER trigger kit, DK Custom Triggers Aggressive stipple job, Carver Customs Light AL mag well, 10lb recoil spring w/ stainless un captured guide rod, and factory extended mag release. Next decision is if I want to cut for a Bomar rear or go with the standard cut sights.

post-26133-0-51143900-1408672024_thumb.jpost-26133-0-92233600-1408672035_thumb.jpost-26133-0-92130800-1408672049_thumb.jpost-26133-0-14418500-1408672073_thumb.jpost-26133-0-06757300-1408672125_thumb.j

Very nice man! I love it!

I think you can do a bomar. Get a scrap piece of 6061 T6 and practice it. The aluminum will save your tools while you practice. Once you got it, slow down the S&F and cut the slide.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

OG: the latest gun looks awesome too.

it has me thinking, with all the cool 1911s and 2011 limited type guns you've done will there be a 2011 open build in the future? I'd love to see your take on a modern 2011 open gun. :)

I was just reading back and I missed this post.

I have done this one and it's in the thread somewhere LOL. But I realized that I did not add any images post Cerakote.

I tried to do a take on a tri-tone and mixed up some custom colors. The pics don't really show it well and I still need to do something with the RTS...

open1.jpg

open2.jpg

open3.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Nope! But after going back to where I bought the cutter it says to do that with a 1/4 end mill the finish with the dovetail cutter at no more than 700rpm. The instructional I found and read said to do it at 1100 rpm and no relief cut.