Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home built CNC Mill - Gonna make a 1911

StraightUp_OG

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is really nice! Is it going to be your carry gun? Can you post a pic of you shooting it at night? I have enjoyed your topic!

Thanks! I have a LCP as a car gun and this will replace a 5" I have been carrying for all other occasions. I will try to get a night pic of it in action, I will find a dark spot after a Tuesday night steel.

The Grizzly g0704 is the current hotness for benchtop cnc conversions and is what I would get if starting from scratch.

Yeah I think if I had it to do it over I would go the BF20 route as well. But it is more expensive for the base machine and CNC conversion. One could buy more tooling and parts but I still think the BF20 might be the way to go.

G0704 here

For all you G0704/BF20 guys, why? And why not the SuperX3/G0619? I've read some threads on cncfusion, spent some time on Hoss's site g0704.com, but wouldn't mind hearing some benoverse opinion on the two. Was it the cost, the weight of the machine, a design issue?

ETA I kinda dig the ability of the SX3 head to rotate 90deg. I've got a manual Bridgeport at work and I've used that feature before. I've found the need to tilt the head in the X and the Y on occasion. Really came in handy, not often, but when I wanted it was glad it would do it.

Edited by kevinj308

That fix looks better than any of the photoshop options you posted. Great job!

Thanks! I am very happy with this. I did mis-speak earlier in the thread. I said she would go bang now and that turns out not to be the case. I went to tune the extractor and realized that it was a short chamber SO Clymer just delivered my finish chamber reamer and by Saturday she will be a shooter. :-)

That fix looks better than any of the photoshop options you posted. Great job!

Thanks! I am very happy with this. I did mis-speak earlier in the thread. I said she would go bang now and that turns out not to be the case. I went to tune the extractor and realized that it was a short chamber SO Clymer just delivered my finish chamber reamer and by Saturday she will be a shooter. :-)
Edited by poison123

The Grizzly g0704 is the current hotness for benchtop cnc conversions and is what I would get if starting from scratch.

Yeah I think if I had it to do it over I would go the BF20 route as well. But it is more expensive for the base machine and CNC conversion. One could buy more tooling and parts but I still think the BF20 might be the way to go.

G0704 here

For all you G0704/BF20 guys, why? And why not the SuperX3/G0619? I've read some threads on cncfusion, spent some time on Hoss's site g0704.com, but wouldn't mind hearing some benoverse opinion on the two. Was it the cost, the weight of the machine, a design issue?

ETA I kinda dig the ability of the SX3 head to rotate 90deg. I've got a manual Bridgeport at work and I've used that feature before. I've found the need to tilt the head in the X and the Y on occasion. Really came in handy, not often, but when I wanted it was glad it would do it.

Edited by BrianATL

So what's wrong with the little machine shop hi torque

Not a thing! It is an amazing little mill that can do much!!!! It is just the Jones'er in me that will always want bigger, faster, badder. It will be a very long time before I upgrade my mill.

Little Machine Shop shows tha High Torque with the solid column out of stock. They have the one with the tilting head, but I've read that that model is not as good because of movement in the head.I emailed them to inquire when the solid coulumn model would be back in stock, but haven't heard back from them. It appears the GG0704 has the tilt head also.

Melvin

Someday in the future I'll run across the right Bridgeport used and slowly enter the milling machine waters. When I do I hope you'll still be here to share your insights and experience. This has been a very fun topic to follow along. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished here!

What's next a 3D printer??? :) :) :)