Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting 9 major out of a 38sc gun ?

sandrooney

There are people doing this and there are differing opinions on the effects if any on the gun. Many believe it is safe to do - however it may or may not cause some cumulative damage to your gun.

My analysis (please critique): Both 9mm and 38SC head space from the case mouth. 38SC case length maximum (SAAMI) is 0.900" where 9mm is 0.754" giving a theoretical possible difference of 0.146" in head space. The potential problem is two fold: one - since the shorter 9mm round is only held in the chamber by the extractor (since the case is too short to hit the datum reference), it could theoretically slip past the extractor into the chamber. This could result in the low side problem of a round not cambering (slide not closing) or not extracting, to the worst case (and probably pretty unlikely) out of battery detonation (bad).

Another potential problem I see is that the round could slid forward but still stay in the extractor - upon detonation the round slams back into the breech face at a greater force than with the 38SC (since it can potentially travel further forward - then further back) giving a slide hammer effect on the primer in the case. I'm not sure on the reality of this however.

There is also the possibility of case stretching but that is also unlikely in a pistol case - unlike what would happen in a rifle case.

*I* am starting to believe that neither of the potential problems are very serious or very likely. Of course I have yet to fire 9major out of my 38SC so I haven't put my gun where my keyboard is (to mix some metaphors).

One of the questions that I have relates to head spacing - since chambers are cut (I believe) to allow for the maximum SAAMI spec case length, yet manufacturing variances mean that many (most) cases are below this maximum length - wouldn't 38SC cases also generally stop short of hitting the datum reference and thus also be held in place by the extractor as well?

I have often wondered this. as I'm building a new gun, I was thinking 9 because I can always throat it to SC if I can't develop a load I really like. Am I that safe to run 9 in an SC chamber for 10's of thousands of rounds? If this is the case, how come more people aren't doing it? I really want to get to the bottom of this. thank you

I have often wondered this. as I'm building a new gun, I was thinking 9 because I can always throat it to SC if I can't develop a load I really like. Am I that safe to run 9 in an SC chamber for 10's of thousands of rounds? If this is the case, how come more people aren't doing it? I really want to get to the bottom of this. thank you

Re-chambering from 9mm to 38SC is not a good idea, as the 9mm chamber has bigger diameter at the throat. Yes, it seems to be totally safe... as far as why people don't do it - I think out of fear of the unknown.

A search is not providing any answers on this topic. Thanks

There have been many threads on this in the past. Search feature will provide the answers you are seeking.

Searching, is not providing any answers.....

Anyone have the load they have been using?

Edited by a matt

Isnt the rim of a 9mm the same size of a 38 super (which is larger than 38sc)? If so it would seem to me that you could run 9mm out of a 38 super better than 38sc

no the rim of the .38super is bigger than the rim of the 9mm or the .38sc, 9mm and .38sc also use the same extractor, the .38super has it's own extractor.

I think you'll find enough variance between different Mfrs and even different lots of cases from the same Mfrs that you can't say with certainty which rim may be bigger. SAAMI has specs but everything doesn't always follow those closely and even a lot of the specs show a plus/minus amount.

I spoke with a gunsmith today, he says it is not as easy as some say. I'm sure I may not be exact, but he commented that 38S & 38SC case headspaces in the barrel (I think) & that a 9mm being a shorter case will headspace on the extractor. He seemed to be saying that it is a disaster waiting to happen. And when I spoke of a 10mm pistol shooting 40s&w, he said its the same as the 38/9 thing.. If it were as easy as just shooting one thru the other, nobody would be re-barreling their pistols to shoot the other cartridge in it. I sure wish some gunsmiths would chime in here..

I have run about 5 k 9mm through a Kimber 38 super single stack with no problems. I have seated the 147 gr. bullet to same OAL as the super, though. It's one the most accurate handguns i have with that combo. I did not have to change the extractor but YMMV. I do run the 9mm brass through 38 super plates on my Case Pro. Depending on how tight your chamber is on your 38 s/sc, you may have seating problems with the 9mm since it is a tapered case and the others are not. Nominal dimension at the head in 9mm is .0391 and the supers are .0384. Not a lot of difference but still there. As to head spacing on the case mouth, all you have to do is mike a bunch of cases from different makers. There goes that theory.

I spoke with a gunsmith today, he says it is not as easy as some say. I'm sure I may not be exact, but he commented that 38S & 38SC case headspaces in the barrel (I think) & that a 9mm being a shorter case will headspace on the extractor. He seemed to be saying that it is a disaster waiting to happen. And when I spoke of a 10mm pistol shooting 40s&w, he said its the same as the 38/9 thing.. If it were as easy as just shooting one thru the other, nobody would be re-barreling their pistols to shoot the other cartridge in it.

Most people re-barrel simply because the idea of using the same barrel does not cross their mind. Most people follow the traditional routes. As far as not being "as easy" - those who do it on a routine basis, will disagree. It is as easy as loading your gun.

And with so many people shooting such combinations day in and day out, we are still waiting for that "disaster" to happen. So far, the guns doing so, have proven to be every bit as reliable as those in their "original" caliber. I have not heard yet about a single broken extractor.

So, on one hand we have a huge collective experience of many people doing this for years.

On the other - concerns not confirmed by any experience.

BTW - my gunsmith did not have any issue with that.

Edited by Foxbat