Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer question

Wildcanine

I am reloading 9mm to shoot in USPSA production we shoot a XDM5,25 a sig x-5 all around and a beretta 92f currently I am using Remington small pistol primers and due to avalabilty I was told I could use Remington small rifle primers is there any truth to this and if so has anyone used them. I haven't been reloading for very long so I hope this isn't a dumb one thanks jeff

I am reloading 9mm to shoot in USPSA production we shoot a XDM5,25 a sig x-5 all around and a beretta 92f currently I am using Remington small pistol primers and due to avalabilty I was told I could use Remington small rifle primers is there any truth to this and if so has anyone used them. I haven't been reloading for very long so I hope this isn't a dumb one thanks jeff

Wildecanine,

I just shot some 9mm today at the range using small rifle primers in my 92F, 25% of the rounds did not fire.

The common element to ignition or not with SR primers is whether the gun is striker fired or firing pin fired. Guns with exposed hammers like the 1911/2011 guns tend to hit the primer harder than those that rely on strikers like Glocks and XDs.

CCI small rifle has about a 25% ignition failure in my Glock and maybe 0.01% failure in my 2011.

Listen to Poppa.

I shoot SVs and have never had an issue with SP or SR or with Match or Magnum primers. I also do NOT see any variations in my velocities. The biggest factor in velocity variations (IMO) is brass. I have about seven years worth of Chrono records aligning with National and A2 chrono results.

I sold my XD which was sensitive to various primers.

I only use CCI rifle for my .223 reloads.

Shoot Small Rifle primers in my 38 Supers 2011 for a long time over 20 years no problems using Winchester Primers.

I try and stick with Winchester Primers but have run into some lots that have a few oval primers which will jam in the primer filler and the press. I try to use Winchester in my Auto Pistols haven't had problems in 1911/2011 or Glock pistols using Winchester Small Pistol Primers. Shooting tunes S@W Revolvers or Gloocks with light springs use Federal Primers they take the lightest hit to ignite, Winchester second and CCI third. Haven't tried others.

I know all are getting hard to find, going to be tough for a few months.