Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using 11lb recoil spring in TS

G34 CORDY

Wanted to see what recoil spring weight you guys are using in your Tactical Sport for .40 major. I have been thinking about using a 11lb spring but is that to light? I like a lighter spring in my guns but will this cause damage?

I've tried a 12lb spring in mine. I didn't like the 12. It had too much vertical dispersion. Shay at Akai Custom Guns recommended I use a 13lb spring. It worked pretty good, but I went ahead and used a 14lb spring. I can't tell a difference in the gun using the 14 versus the 13. The 14lb spring should last a little longer. It's probably a good idea to change the spring out every 3-4 thousand rounds to keep some stress off the slide stop.

I've shot my TS with an 11# and didn't like it, you can feel the slide bog down while stripping the next round out of the mag. I don't have a spring tester, but I came back around to the stock spring which I think is 14#? I know it's lighter than 18# because I bought one of those.

I ran a 10# recoil spring for a little bit with a stainless steel guide rod and found that I really wasn't enjoying the way it handled. I switched to a 14# and I find it's easier for me on follow up shots. I'd like to add this is without any cuts on the slide and using extremely light reloaded ammunition.

1) Over the years I've found the following technique to be useful: Take a well-aimed sight picture and fire the first round of a double tap. The second shot is fired as quickly as possible with little concern for the sight picture. If the second rounds are consistently low...use a lighter spring. If they are consistently high...use a heavier spring. Don't worry about the pounds.

2) If battering the frame is a great concern then (for sure) use a polymer guide...and/or use a buffer and slowly reduce the spring a quarter of coil at a time till no problems with short-stroking are present. Also, using a progressive spring should help.

The above was done primarily using STI/SVA frame pistols and the 1911 lock up system...but it's worked for my CzechMate and for my TS. Right now, I use an 11-pound spring in both. I'm thinking about a 10-pound spring in the CzechMate.

A-G

Edited by All-Gator

I did the same type of testing with my G34 a few years ago and liked how the 11lb ISMI spring felt and tracked better than the 13lb but after a few months of shooting with it everyone told me it could fire out of battery with a recoil spring that low (striker fired is different I know) so I went back to a 13lb spring. I will order springs down to 11 and see which one I like. My TS will be going to CZ Custom as soon as some parts come back in stock.

I tried an 11 pound spring and went back to the factory one which I am guessing is 14? I find that even with the factory spring the gun ejects cases quite far, so the slide speed is good and the gun seems to snap back on target pretty Quick. I am shooting a cast 180 gr bullet with 5.4 gr of WSF. Haven't shot the gun much, but with major ammo the gun didn't feel right to me with the lighter spring. Has anyone tried any of the recoil reducer guide rods in their TS?

Has anyone tried any of the recoil reducer guide rods in their TS?

I tried the Sprinco and sent it back; it changed the recoil feel only slightly, and what change I felt I didn't like. The secondary spring only engages at the last bit of the stroke, even less with the buffer installed, and created a sort of bounce at the end of the recoil impulse.

I really wanted to love the Sprinco, I shot 200 rounds trying six different recoil springs, but in the end decided even if I did grow used to the new feel, it's not worth the price of admission.