Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which is Harder - Overcoming Gobbling or Making GM?

Esther

Donovan - Yeah, I've pretty much decided to save up for the reload press. In retrospect, was the primary value of the reload press in ammo savings (thus allowing you to shoot more) or in customized loads?

Today's thankful item:

2) running 4 easy miles and squeezing in 20 min of dry-fire even though I had a super busy day

More about the cost for me. I'm not sure the moly/plated bullets I'm shooting now were as accurate as the jacketed factory ammo I was shooting, and I didn't really mind the extra boom, but it is much cheaper.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of Taylor Swift on repeat while I dry-fire. :)

Tonight's shooting-related thankful items:

1) Bo sending me a super helpful email about instruction, what he would do to develop a new shooter to be as good as possible, and the importance of maintaining and getting a proper grip ALWAYS in dry-fire practice.

3) setting my par timer to .8 and seeing how close I could get to a mag change. I can get my spare mag to (or almost to) the lip of my mag well in perfect or near perfect alignment.

I notice that when I push the pace past what I can currently change a mag in, I stop looking the mag into the well. I am not sure if that is good or bad. I think I unconsciously hesitate when confirming alignment with my vision, so when I am trying to go as fast as I can, I just trust my body to get the motion done as quickly as possible. Ideally, seeing my hands in alignment shouldn't take any more time than slamming them into alignment, just like seeing my sights in alignment as I press the trigger shouldn't take any longer than just pressing the trigger.

Edited by Esther

Paul Buchheit (the creator of Gmail) has a way of saying things that I've heard elsewhere in ways that make sense to me. Here he writes:

"Many of our weaknesses are actually strengths once we learn how to use them, and our greatest gifts are often buried beneath our greatest insecurities."

That's hard to see and believe, sometimes, when one is alone and crying after the nth thousandth late night gobble. I look around sometimes and see so many people who don't gobble or sabotage themselves. It's tempting for me to think, "They should be the ones who dream of being artists and GMs, not me." But maybe one day looking back, these struggles will enable me to say and do things that I wouldn't have otherwise.

But it sucks sometimes.

(This is in agreement) We all need our dreams, and failing (or falling) isn't the end, it is only the end if we let it be. We get up dust ourselves off and try again...

(.8 reload... Awesome! and it sounds like you are right there... :D )

Esther,

Chris is absolutely right. You must always see the magwell. Every single time. That's one reason I don't recommend practicing a full reload outside of another drill that requires it, especially for newbs.

When you're warmed up and hot you could do it blindfolded, sure. But that's not a repeatable skill, reliable under every circumstance.

But I'm more interested in this:

"I look around sometimes and see so many people who don't gobble or sabotage themselves. It's tempting for me to think, "They should be the ones who dream of being artists and GMs, not me"

Hey Esther, I have come to believe that everyone on this planet has major issues and spends most of their life scared to death of something. (or a bunch of somethings that turn into an everything)

Most won't admit, even fewer have the courage to discuss it... let alone post it on a public forum for a bunch of strangers to read.

But sometimes it feels better to get it out there... kind of a letting go.

And by the way, how do you know "they" don't gobble or sabotage themselves?

It's easy to assume everyone else's life is perfect compared to yours, but that's just not true...

And a shooting tip: Think more about the weak hand. She is frequently a limiting factor. :)

GuildSF4 - I can't do a .8 reload yet. A full reload would be sights on target, drop mag, insert fresh mag, gun back on target, sights (almost) settled. But I can do more in .8 than I thought I could. :)

Chris - Thanks for the tip! I will look my mag into the well every time.

Steve - Thank you for the wise words. You're a good instructor in more than just shooting. :)

I've been reading Lanny's book and Steve's second book, and one idea that struck me is that your conscious mind only holds one image at a time, which your subconscious then musters/recruits all of its resources to deliver. So if you think, "Don't miss," the image you see is yourself missing, and you become more likely to miss.

I think to myself many times a day, "Don't gobble." Of course what I think of is gobbling.

I've tried to think of things to do instead, but that doesn't quite work. Maybe because writing/painting/cleaning guns/calling a friend are means to an end, not the end itself. Imagining myself putting $5 in the jar isn't helpful either, because it feels like an extrinsic reward not the real goal. (Analogously, I bet it helps some athletes to imagine receiving the gold medal on the podium. But I need an intrinsic performance goal, like Steve's image of two alphas on every target.)

Tonight I am going to try an experiment. I am going to imagine myself waking up clean and clear and slightly hungry for breakfast.

Edited by Esther

GuildSF4 - I can't do a .8 reload yet. A full reload would be sights on target, drop mag, insert fresh mag, gun back on target, sights (almost) settled. But I can do more in .8 than I thought I could. :)

Operative word 'yet' , you are however close... I have been working on the shotgun Quadload... I can't do 8 rounds in 3.5 seconds, (yet), I have gotten to 4 rounds in 3.5 seconds on and unmodified 930 Mossberg though, huge improvement from 8 to 10 seconds for 4 rounds. (doing shuffle load)

Like Steve I was commenting on the dreams comment,everyone needs and has dreams and you would be surprised how many are nothing like what you think they are and what they are fighting in their life. I believe that the first part of fixing a problem is realizing that it exists. (True for machines also... ;) )

Mortals are all flawed and have failed, in one way or another.

OK, so I removed the track references, because the odds are slim that they'd make sense to you.

And this is stuff covered in Enos' book, The Bible (in a fashion), Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance, and probably other places I'm not familiar with.

All you can do is be aware of your situation, at the present time, and decide to act, and remain focused on the present.

Edited by Aglifter

I shot SHO and WHO at 25 yds for the first time today. My strong-hand groups were only a little bit off of my freestyle groups, and my weak-hand groups were only a little bit off of those.

I was feeling exhausted physically and emotionally, though, so I packed up early and went home instead of throwing money downrange and burning in bad shots.

Today's shooting-related thankful item:

3) making plans to go to the action pistol practice in Richmond on Saturday. And, Jon offering to let me shoot his single stack .45 and use his gear until I get my own competition gun and gear. OMG!

Edited by Esther

Esther, I read that you were going to an action pistol practice. Is that Bianchi action pistol? If so the Bianchi shooters would love to have you as a member. The Bianchi Cup has really turned it's focus to new production class shooters. Any practice you do for Action Pistol will be good practice for USPSA. Many of the best women shooters in the world will be at the Cup every year and would love to talk to you.

http://competitions....mpionships.aspx

http://www.shootingu...10training.html

http://www.jessieduf...ccomplishments/

http://verakoo.com/site/home/

Edited by toothguy

I feel gobbly and am imagining myself waking up clean and clear and slightly hungry in the morning...

I did my budget tonight and freaked out a bit over how much my shooting expenses are. I am shooting about 150-200 rounds of new 9mm's and several hundred .22's each week, plus lane fees and shooting resources (like Ben's excellent book on technique). And I haven't gotten my competition gun and gear yet...

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.

Tonight's thankful items:

2) doing hard weights, running 5 miles (3 miles increasing pace, 2 miles easy), and stretching a ton.

3) paying special attention to my grip during dry-fire. I realized that I get lazy in reacquiring my grip after a mag change, but that having the proper grip helps me to get my sights back on target and know they are in alignment.

4) reading Ben Stoeger's excellent book on technique

Edited by Esther

Here's to hoping you don't gobble. :cheers:

Shooting isn't cheap. I decided I get more from matches, both enjoyment- & learning-wise & am reserving my ammo, time, & dinero for those. My goals are different from yours, though, so YMMV.

diehli - Thanks! I love the rooting faces! :)

Tim - That was my original plan, but now I'd rather shoot a gun that doesn't have DA/SA.

When I was in elementary school and just learning to add numbers, the thought of doing algebra terrified me. I couldn't imagine solving problems with scary things called "variables," and factoring was a foreign concept.

My dad said, "Don't worry, no one's asking you to do something really hard, like invent algebra. You can learn anything as long as you do it step by step."

He was right. By the time I got to algebra, it felt no harder than learning to add for the first time.

I mention this because I feel overwhelmed. I went to a USPSA practice in Richmond, and even the B and C shooters seemed really fast and good compared to what I can currently do. I felt like my elementary school self watching local shooters blaze by doing logarithms and multivariable calculus. I also finished reading Ben's technique book, and some of the stuff he talks about - like position entry and exit - I only have the faintest idea of, the way that I barely knew what variables meant when I was six.

Tonight's thankful items:

1) Jon letting me borrow his single stack .45, mag pouches, and holster, and letting me shoot his ammo!

2) shooting a USPSA practice stage for the first time! I was nervous at first, but I asked Kevin if he would walk through the stage with me and give me feedback on how I did. He is a pediatrician and has a very calming and reassuring manner. Kevin gave the range commands for me and talked me through the course: "Take a deep breath." "Your gun is dry." (I was shooting Jon's 8-round mags and shooting a course for the first time, so I totally forgot to reload when moving between positions!)

The second time I ran the stage, my goal was to reload between every position and never let my gun run dry. I did that. I hit all alphas and every popper with one shot, except the swinger which I hit one alpha and missed once.

Things I need to work on: 1) my draw, 2) maintaining my grip in between shots and after reloads, 3) analyzing stages and planning my reloads, and 4) shooting on the move. Some of the better shooters were doing this as they backed away from the first target array; I want to be able to do that too!

3) meeting a lot of nice and friendly shooters: Kevin (kevin c), Alex (digby7), Sebastian, Byron, Lily, Jessica, Manuel, and others whose names I forgot.

Edited by Esther

You actually shot quite well, Esther. You were accurate on the steel, and also got nearly all A's on the paper targets. Missing one shot out of four in your very first two runs on a swinger is superb - most beginners miss swingers altogether. Remember also that you were using unfamiliar equipment - a single stack major PF .45 at that.

Of course you are slower than the others; they've been riding their bikes for some time now, maybe years, whereas you were taking your very first ride with the training wheels still on. But, again, you were accurate, and that is a fundamental that many lose sight of as they try to go fast. They speed will come with practice. Just like riding a bike, you are doing everything that is important and necessary to the task at hand for the first time, and, since it is unfamiliar, you are conscious of it all. That awareness, the need to think as you do unfamiliar things, slows you down. As your technique becomes ingrained and automatic, and especially if you have learned effective techniques, you will be much faster.

Congratulations on your success at your first practice. Welcome to the fun!

Edited by kevin c

You can still shoot your CZ in Limited and IDPA ESP in the single-action only mode; that's what I'll be doing with mine eventually. Are you thinking of trading it in for a 1911? I love my .45, and the 9mm 1911's are great shooters, from what I hear.

I wouldn't let the "female" thing worry you. The only significant issue I can think of is finding a gun which fits your hands well.

Otherwise, there are plenty of lady powerlifters, etc, who are stronger than most male shooters, including the GMs - even at the most petite weight classes.

Have you ever tried yoga? I've become quite a fan of it. It might help, both with something to focus on, when you require a distraction, and with developing strength and flexibility to stay stable in awkward positions while shooting, etc.

Kevin - Thanks! Having you follow me through the stage was super helpful. :)

Tim - Thanks for the info. And, I do like the single stack 1911's a lot!

Aglifter - Nod. I think that's probably true of female rock climbers too. I have not tried yoga but may give it a try.

Tonight's shooting-related thankful item:

5) cleaning and putting back together my CZ magazine. I'd been running around the house dropping it on the floor, and today one of them came apart with the spring and everything...

I mention this because I feel overwhelmed. I went to a USPSA practice in Richmond, and even the B and C shooters seemed really fast and good compared to what I can currently do. I felt like my elementary school self watching local shooters blaze by doing logarithms and multivariable calculus. I also finished reading Ben's technique book, and some of the stuff he talks about - like position entry and exit - I only have the faintest idea of, the way that I barely knew what variables meant when I was six.

I've seen so many new shooters over the years and this sentiment was common amongst many of them. A competition can be overwhelming, so much happening at the same time and happening at seemingly impossible speeds. Its very much like driving a car, after a few months of driving it becomes almost sub-conscious, but at first it seems so complex; So many different things to remember and many of them happening at the same time.

Performing slowly for a few months is not a problem, its normal. As you gain confidence and skills your speed will increase but you may not be aware of it when it starts to happen. You'll be breaking down stages and performing reloads without thinking, just as you use the turn signals on your car without consciously thinking of it.

If you can drive a car safely, smoothly and efficiently then you can drive a gun in the same manner. Its just a matter of time...

I echo Kevin's comments as I was watching (from closer than you may have realized) on both runs. You were safe and you were accurate. There are no more important objectives for a beginner for their first time. Yes there are many things to learn in addition to simply how to align sights and pull the trigger. Perhaps it is this one factor that keeps people interested in this shooting sport - one never stops learning.

In my opinion, you are on the right track because you are:

• signed up for the safety class
  • reading good instructional material
  • asking lots of questions of many people to get different viewpoints
  • practicing as much you can (dry / live fire)
  • paying attention to related details i.e. financing the habit, physical fitness, etc...
  • taking your time with gear and equipment purchases

I feel your next big steps will be:

• USPSA membership
  • selecting a division
  • shooting a few matches

I know you mentioned an XDM and saving your holster money for that but now that you have mag carriers that fit your CZ mags (they did fit yes?), you might want to find an inexpensive generic holster so that you can try shooting your CZ the next time. If you want a dedicated CZ holster, Blade Tech and DAA (you used the DAA yesterday) both make one for about $60 through Shooter's Connection with the BEnos member discount.

If, after shooting the CZ for awhile, you decide you'd rather shoot something else, the generic holster will probably be a lost expense. However, it is quite likely that you could sell a name brand holster and recover some of that cost. Additionally, a little time with the Blade Tech (or the DAA) will allow you to form an opinion about whether or not you'd like that type of holster for the gun you will eventually purchase.