Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rounds not seating all the way in 625

shuey134

I have a 625-2 that I can't for the life of me get my reloads to go all the way into the cylinder. They fit the case gauge just fine so I don't think it's the rounds. Sometimes I will get a clip to go in, other times it will stick out about a quarter of an inch. Is it possible one of the holes is not the right size?

I've found the following two issues to cause moonclips to not drop in cleanly into my 625-3:

1) slightly bent moonclip

2) bit of extra bullet lube on the outside of the bullet or the brass

It's usually easy to spot the bad moonclips; if they won't lay totally flat on a hard, flat surface

The moon clips are good I think. None look bent, I have some new Wilson Combats and some new ranch products; same problem. The rounds drop freely into the cylinder without the moon clips.

Up until now I've been loading a few dummy rounds to practice reloading. I was using some "MFS" headstamp brass. They seem a bit wider at the base. I'm going to work up a few more using federal brass to see what happens.

I have a 625-2 that I can't for the life of me get my reloads to go all the way into the cylinder. They fit the case gauge just fine so I don't think it's the rounds. Sometimes I will get a clip to go in, other times it will stick out about a quarter of an inch. Is it possible one of the holes is not the right size?

It's possible all the holes are undersized. Has the cylinder been reamed? I recently acquired a 625pc as a back-up gun and had the same problem. Factory FMJ dropped fine, reloads were about 50%. Took it to bosshoss on this forum, had it reamed (and chamfered) and now everything drops in fine. If you don't have anyone close to do revo work, I think bosshoss is taking business from guys just sending the cylinder to him for that work. Hope you get it ironed out- it's frustrating!

Edited by sbcman

As a -2, it's probably not a case of tight chambers. I'd lean towards bulged brass. Do what BlueOval said, drop in raw rounds and see if they bottom out. If I don't feel a "thunk!" when I drop in a clip, I check the brass, change the clip, etc. I want to feel them slam into place with no resistance.

So I loaded some new rounds with different brass (federal and some other mixed). They all work fine. One thing I did notice is the MFS brass that wouldn't go in was also very difficult to put into the moon clips. Everything else was easier.

Thanks

One thing I did notice is the MFS brass that wouldn't go in was also very difficult to put into the moon clips. Everything else was easier.

Thanks

Bet you that brass will fit in a scrap bucket just fine.

One thing I did notice is the MFS brass that wouldn't go in was also very difficult to put into the moon clips. Everything else was easier.

Thanks

Bet you that brass will fit in a scrap bucket just fine.

Already there.

There's a brand of .45acp cases called Top Brass I used a few years ago. They did the same thing almost to the point that you could not get 6 of them in a moonclip. They would act the same as yours did. I could get away with 1 or 2, if not side by side, but never more.

I sorted them out and used them as match cases, they had been bought new, and am gradually whitling them down.

As you surmised it was due to a larger web, the case and rim were ok.

Edited by pskys2

I've had the same issue. Things I've learned to check:

1. Check the crimp after you load a few rounds, I've had some not crimp correctly.

2. If loading with lead bullets, make sure there's not to much excess lead around the crimp area.

3. Keep your cylinder clean, just a small amount of build up where the round seats in the cylinder will cause this issue.

4. Buy a cylinder and moon check tools if you haven't already, these have helped out a lot.

Unfortunately, that was one of the known problems with the original 625-2 "Model of 1988" variation. The chambers were notoriously tight on those guns. They fixed it very early in the 625-3 run, and then the tight chambers reappeared early in the 625-8 variation. I recommend reaming the chambers to correct SAAMI specification. Anybody who works on competition revolvers should be able to handle this--otherwise, the reamer is available from Brownell's.

It's possible all the holes are undersized. Has the cylinder been reamed? I recently acquired a 625pc as a back-up gun and had the same problem. Factory FMJ dropped fine, reloads were about 50%. Took it to bosshoss on this forum, had it reamed (and chamfered) and now everything drops in fine. If you don't have anyone close to do revo work, I think bosshoss is taking business from guys just sending the cylinder to him for that work. Hope you get it ironed out- it's frustrating!

I sent a 686 and 625 cylinder to bosshoss and he did a fantasic job. Reamed the cylinders as needed, chamfured, and even trued on of the extractor rods. I strongly recommend his work.