Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom Quad Load

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm jamming on the second round also. The jam happens if the front crimp rim of second round rides over and gets caught on the back rim of the first round. The second round hits the top (actually underside of the shotgun since loading orientation is with shotgun upside down) of the loading port and the back rim of the first round that's in the tube wouldn't let the second round slide down to go into the tube no matter how hard I push on the back of second round. Have to release presssure and find a free finger to snap the front of the second round down. Can't seem to always be able to make sure the second round is allways following directly behind and not with the crimp above the first round. Is there a trick to that?

Since I have an 11-87 and the top of the loading port is pretty flat and blunt, I decided to grind a nice chamfer there to see if that'll help guide the second round down over the back rim of the first round. Since I was grinding, I thought why stop there, a chamfer down each side should help. It wasn't helping with the second shell jamming much so I grinded some more. What a mistake. First I got to a point where if the back of the round went in high, which is most of the time since that is being pushed up by the carrier, the back rim of the shell would jam in the freshly ground larger port which apparently now has a slight keyhole or hour glass shape. Had to fix that by grinding the sides more to get rid of the hour glass. Then I got sporadic failure for the shell to get released since with a larger port, the shell can move around side to side more. Had to grind a little from the shell release (hopfully not too much) to fix that but that created sharp edges on the shell release that would cut into and catch the base of the shells preventing the release from retracting fully. Polish that. 11-87 finally running 100% again but the grinding I did didn't really help with the second round jamming problem. Maybe time for 930JM Pro if I can ever find one.

I've found that staggering the shells about 1/8" eliminated any jamming issues I was getting.....that way the round closest to my thumb on the first set to go in the gun already has the crimped end past the rim of the first shell in the second set.

On my Quad Loads, I first tried a small bolt in the area below the shells and didnt care for that....then used a heat gun to bend up the plastic piece and that worked okay, but was a pain to do and too too much time. I now use a piece of extra strength double sided tape on the bottom flat surface of the caddy, and attach a piece of kydex to it. It elevates the 2nd set of shells just the right amount for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a dedicated shotgun range session in and was able to put the quadload on a timer with live fire. Average times for shoot 1 load 8 shoot 1 were running 5.2 seconds to 5.6 seconds. Best time was a 4.8 and I had a few flubs that ran into the 6.5 to 7.0 second range. Also did several of Keith Garcia's load 12 drills with times of 9.86, 10.42, 10.81, 9.49, and the last one really came together at 8.99 seconds. Targets were 4" knock down plates at 10 yards. So far I'm really liking this system. I'm hoping there'll be some serious shotgun loading at the INMG match tomorrow so I can see how it works out in a match.

Finally got a dedicated shotgun range session in and was able to put the quadload on a timer with live fire. Average times for shoot 1 load 8 shoot 1 were running 5.2 seconds to 5.6 seconds. Best time was a 4.8 and I had a few flubs that ran into the 6.5 to 7.0 second range. Also did several of Keith Garcia's load 12 drills with times of 9.86, 10.42, 10.81, 9.49, and the last one really came together at 8.99 seconds. Targets were 4" knock down plates at 10 yards. So far I'm really liking this system. I'm hoping there'll be some serious shotgun loading at the INMG match tomorrow so I can see how it works out in a match.

I'm envious of the times.

I'm having a hard time with the concept and was ready to just revert to the load 2. This thread has helped settle me down a bit & I'll have to revisit it some more.

I was at the Benelli Shotgun Championship this weekend and got some AWESOME feed back from the shooters as well as some tips!!

In the past couple of months.....I'd get phone calls about the clips being too tight, or too loose.....pretty much a 50/50 split, so I took this as (from a manufacturing standpoint) of pretty much nailing the tension down and the end user just needs to adjust the tension to their liking. Sounds fair.

And then I found a particular tip that makes these QUALOAD's SOOOOOO easy to rip the shells out that even people with smal hands will be able to take advantage of!! And I am one of those that fall into the small hand catagorey.

On the grab.....of course, wrap your 4 fingers over and around the 4 shells. Your thumb should be placed on the first column that will be stuffed into your shotgun. Now.....here is the tip.....instead of pulling straight out from the holder, tip the shells out from the top clip, and allow the shells to roll out of the bottom clip. Bascially, you are 'flicking' your wrist a little bit. The shells pop out of the top clips with ease....EVEN IF YOU HAVE THEM EXTRA TIGHT (so they wouldn't fall out when you are running). I've noticed also that this technique keeps the shells together upon retreival and they do not 'break' apart in the middle.

Another tip (and take it for what it's worth) In talking with some of the pro's this weekend....the concensus has been to load weak hand, the feeling is that lowering the buttstock and rotating the shotgun, then trapping it between your arm and side allows for better control of the weapon...you don't change any grip, your trigger finger almost seems to be forced out of the trigger guard (safe!!!) and re-shouldering to get back in to a shooting position seems to be very fast. Also, you get so actually see you loading port is you want to look.

I saw some superman fast reloads this weekend with this technique.....so did others.....I got wiped out of QUALOAD's and am making more starting today.

I ran my quad loads at the noveske match in Colorado this weekend. They worked great in the all shotgun stage and helped me overcome missing too many targets to still get a decent time.

I have 2 quad loads on my belt, and four on my chest rig. I think I'll be picking up two more for my belt before a match like Ozarks with its massive round counts......and possibly more if it looks like I wont have enough room with that setup.

Yeah.....I finally mastered and felt comfortable with the DUALOAD set up this weekend in match settings. So now I have to get the QUALOAD's made for 20 gauge, then I can take advantage of superman load times!!!

Here is a smoking 2.6 second reload of 8 rounds by my oldest son. Kind of fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwRqw9sCtoA

I know we haven't seen this reload out in the wild yet, but this seems to be a big argument for the strong hand reload so far.

However until we see this at a match, what you might have seen as most effective at a match might be the best technique for now.

Seeing both ways done at the Benelli match......the guys loading strong hand are nailing it well. And of course, what ever way works best for you IS the best way to load. The talk was that if you are already doing a 4 up loading with traditional caddies, that it is an easy transition to use the weak hand for QUALOAD.

We've seen this sport evolve for sure and what works today, may not be the best tomorrow.

Nathan is doing an awesome job with the strong hand.

Two of the Benelli guys are hitting consitant 3.4 second 8 shot reloads in match settings doing the weak hand load. I've seen a few guys loading 2 up strong hand, but not too many doing the quad with a strong hand at the match (yet). It does seem that the majority of people are loading weak hand from what i've seen so far.

Tim

I was at the Benelli Shotgun Championship this weekend and got some AWESOME feed back from the shooters as well as some tips!!

In the past couple of months.....I'd get phone calls about the clips being too tight, or too loose.....pretty much a 50/50 split, so I took this as (from a manufacturing standpoint) of pretty much nailing the tension down and the end user just needs to adjust the tension to their liking. Sounds fair.

And then I found a particular tip that makes these QUALOAD's SOOOOOO easy to rip the shells out that even people with smal hands will be able to take advantage of!! And I am one of those that fall into the small hand catagorey.

On the grab.....of course, wrap your 4 fingers over and around the 4 shells. Your thumb should be placed on the first column that will be stuffed into your shotgun. Now.....here is the tip.....instead of pulling straight out from the holder, tip the shells out from the top clip, and allow the shells to roll out of the bottom clip. Bascially, you are 'flicking' your wrist a little bit. The shells pop out of the top clips with ease....EVEN IF YOU HAVE THEM EXTRA TIGHT (so they wouldn't fall out when you are running). I've noticed also that this technique keeps the shells together upon retreival and they do not 'break' apart in the middle.

Another tip (and take it for what it's worth) In talking with some of the pro's this weekend....the concensus has been to load weak hand, the feeling is that lowering the buttstock and rotating the shotgun, then trapping it between your arm and side allows for better control of the weapon...you don't change any grip, your trigger finger almost seems to be forced out of the trigger guard (safe!!!) and re-shouldering to get back in to a shooting position seems to be very fast. Also, you get so actually see you loading port is you want to look.

I saw some superman fast reloads this weekend with this technique.....so did others.....I got wiped out of QUALOAD's and am making more starting today.

It's amazing what a difference a slight nuance can make. After just a few times the "wrist flip" move cut about a quarter second off my load 8 times and significantly reduced the flub factor. Thanks Tim

Tim, I am looking to try that wrist-flick maneuver myself---if only I had talked to you before the end of the match! Anyway, I was very happy with the Qualoads and, even loading strong hand, I got a lot of compliments from my squad mates and ROs on my loading this weekend. My best stage of the match was Stage 12---26 rounds of bird, limited movement space, and a lot of emphasis on the reloading. With the Qualoads, I pulled out a top-10 stage finish, which if the best stage I have ever had at a national match up against competition like this.

Thanks so much, and keep up the good work!

I am just posting with an apology to Tim Ubl and anyone else I may have offended. I have been calling these carriers QUADLOADS this whole time and actually the name is QUALOAD. My deepest apology. Carry on.

Better doing that than calling the wife by the wrong name! Plus I bet she hits harder than Tim

I'm convinced that the dropping deuces or Quadload method is the way to go. Here is my first night seriously practicing with the TACCOM Quadload. I can consistently load 12 rounds under 6 seconds with the dropping deuces method. I figure the Quads should give me 1-1.5 second faster loads on 12 rounds once I get consistent.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo5NB6P03cw

I am just posting with an apology to Tim Ubl and anyone else I may have offended. I have been calling these carriers QUADLOADS this whole time and actually the name is QUALOAD. My deepest apology. Carry on.

One person that should NEVER have to apologize to me or the company is Mr. Brian Payne.....what's a "D" amongst friends.

One person that should is that Jesse guy in the above video!!......next time you try to load, spit the gum out!!! :goof: Please....don't try walking yet!! Actually, you are getting them out of the holders fine....it's the 'in the gun part' that takes the practice. it's actually good to see the honest effort AND the dedication to practice!! GOOD JOB JESSE!!! You probably already have it nailed down.....lets see the updated video when you do!!

Tim

Better doing that than calling the wife by the wrong name! Plus I bet she hits harder than Tim

Permanent marker....write name on forehead

Permanent marker....write name on forehead

Your wife lets you use permanent marker? :surprise:

Oh mercy no.....I simplified it, I've only dated women with the same first name. Makes it easy to remember.

Changed things up a little and have improved a little....as usual, once I turn the camera on, things just "happen" that dont seem to happen when practicing or in a match.

Here is last Friday (April 19th) with a 4 sec par time and loading strong hand. Note the QUALOADS mounted in pairs and at an angle, and how much I'm throwing my elbow out.

Here is today (April 22nd) with a 3.5 sec par time and loading strong hand. Focusing on keeping my elbow in, and I aligned all the QUALOADS at the same height, but with added space between each pair in case I wanted to go close first with extra room.

I've beat the 3.5 sec par time several times, but not on camera.....so of course it doesnt count.

Here are a few things that have helped me:

-lean forward just like I do when shooting, when standing up straight it doesnt seem to work for me.

-keep my elbow in, when I don't i seem to add time flying my elbow up and out

-angling the shells into pairs caused the inner QUALOAD to dig into my stomach when prone and did nothing to increase speed

-pull primers first, not crimp first

-make sure Benelli bolt is all the way forward or you jam the crap out of your thumb when the lifter bottoms out

-put the bolt forward prior to starting practice, the lifter does NOT move with the bolt locked back....it makes you look STUPID on video, therefore I deleted those videos. ha

Edited by EaZeNuTZ33