Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ICORE Limited Buy Once/Cry Once Setup Recommendation

Background: I've been shooting every match I can for the last few months with a semiauto. USPSA, Outlaw, and our monthly ICORE.

Well I'm gonna shoot the auto for the other matches but now I want to get a revo strictly for ICORE. I've picked up a little knowledge shooting and I got an idea of what I want but I want the specifics from y'all on Brianenos.

They told me limited is the division with the most people and a 627 is gonna be the most-used gun. I want 38 super but I realize that's gonna be hard to come by. What I think I'll do is get a 38/357 and get it converted to 38super.

Tell me the setup to get for a buy-once/cry-once revolver

Background: I've been shooting every match I can for the last few months with a semiauto. USPSA, Outlaw, and our monthly ICORE.

Well I'm gonna shoot the auto for the other matches but now I want to get a revo strictly for ICORE. I've picked up a little knowledge shooting and I got an idea of what I want but I want the specifics from y'all on Brianenos.

They told me limited is the division with the most people and a 627 is gonna be the most-used gun. I want 38 super but I realize that's gonna be hard to come by. What I think I'll do is get a 38/357 and get it converted to 38super.

Tell me the setup to get for a buy-once/cry-once revolver

a 5" 627 in 357/38 is by far the most common...

you can run 38 short colt, 38 long colt, 38 spec, or 38 clayton welch custom length brass, or whatever you want....

http://www.guns.com/...del-627-v-comp/

The 627-v-comp has a removable cap or compensator if you wanted to go to open later. Get set up to run short colt with 9mm load data and get 20 Hearthco moons to start. Check with Toolguy at Protocol Design (vendor here) for a fiber optic front sight to fit the factory dove tail, he also sells a fiber optic rear sight. Protocol Design has a Universal Holster that's worth looking at. The Performance Center 627 will still need a good trigger job, Carmonized ect.

Edited by toothguy

38 short colt, 38 long colt, 38 spec, or 38 clayton welch custom length brass, or whatever you want....

short colt with 9mm load data

On this issue I have been reading constantly, here and countless other forums, and I have yet to decipher the multi-caliber usage.

If I buy a 357, I can shoot the 38 brass at any length I want, to help with loading and unloading. My question is about the bullets. Is it best to use .357 bullets or will I be able to notice any effects on accuracy if I use the same .355/.356 as I shoot out of my 9mm semiauto? Most say to swage the barrel to see what it should like cause they aren't all perfectly to spec, but what is the general consensus?

Also, I've read that you can get the cylinder machined to shoot just about everything close to 38 caliber, so is it feasible for it to be machined to shoot regular 9x19 so I could shoot the same load as my production rig? As I understand, the extra length inside the cylinder that the bullet has to travel before it gets to the barrel throat is undesirable, but is it that bad?

Basically, I like the idea of having as many interchangeable components between my production rig and my ICORE rig as possible. Yall that know please enlighten...

Edited by ClaytonWelch

You can have the 627 38/357 converted to 38 super for $275.00 by TK Custom. I have an original Performance Center 627 38 Super and TK Custom is converting my PC 627 V-Comp 38/357 so I only have to load one bullet. In addition to the one i just sent to be converted I have a brand new PC 627 38/357 that I think I am going to send to be converted also.

WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE OF .38 SUPER OVER THE SPECIAL, SHORT COLT, AND LONG COLT?

+1, There are so many load variations for the .357, it seems like it would be less versatile in 38 Super. Also the barrel and cylinder chambers are sized for .357 so if you shoot .355 or .356 bullets, accuracy will suffer. You can load .357 bullets in a 38 Super case, but that's really the same as 38 long colt.

Edited by toothguy

+1, There are so many load variations for the .357, it seems like it would be less versatile in 38 Super. Also the barrel and cylinder chambers are sized for .357 so if you shoot .355 or .356 bullets, accuracy will suffer. You can load .357 bullets in a 38 Super case, but that's really the same as 38 long colt.

I really don't know why I didn't think of this. Is it a good idea get the 38/357 machined in 9mm and then load .357 bullets in the 9x19 cases for better accuracy in the 627? Tell me if thinking stupidly, I'm just trying to keep my reloading setup to a minimum since all my autos are 9mm already, plus I can just pick up a few hundred new brass every week no problem, which doesn't happen as easy with 38, special or super.

WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE OF .38 SUPER OVER THE SPECIAL, SHORT COLT, AND LONG COLT?

Check this thread out http://www.brianenos...57#entry1542130 ;rdd

That thread doesn't have that much info in it; all it really does is make me wish I had been wanting to start shooting ICORE when S&W made 38 Super 627's :angry2: .

Since I really don't see myself being able to pry a factory 38 Super out of anyones hands, I wanted some direction on how to go about it the best way with a 38/357 when I have a xl650 setup to go with 9x19. I don't mind getting new dies and I'm thinking I'm going to have to get different brass, but of course the less I have to change the better. If I could pop my 9x19 loads in some moon clips and be ready to rock, we that would just be nuckin futs.

The 627 is a pretty good set up the way it comes. Seems like what you would spend on converting the cylinder would go a long way in paying for a Quick change tool head, caliber conversion, dies and brass to taylor fit a load to the 627.

Edited by toothguy

The 627 is a pretty good set up the way it comes. Seems like what you would spend on converting the cylinder would go a long way in paying for a Quick change tool head, caliber conversion, dies and brass to taylor fit a load to the 627.

That's a very good point there. That $300 would cover the tool head, dies and a good bit of brass to get me started. You're full of good ideas that I haven't thought of, and I thank you. Guess that's what forums are for, the ones that know to help the ones that don't. That is definitely probably one of the easiest options I have heard so far.

It wouldn't be that inconvenient to buy .357 bullets along with .355. I guess I was thinking it would just be easy to load up the same load for both guns, but then accuracy would probably suffer. I've been in contact with Tom at TK Custom and he definitely says you need .357 bullets in a .357 barrel if you want any accuracy. So it looks like I would be buying two different calibers anyway since it's not very likely I can get a hold of a factory 38 super.

Toothguy, your way is sounding best. Just get the caliber conversion for my 650 and shoot some shortened custom 38 brass with .357 bullets and be done with it.

One other thing to consider is that 38/357 are rimmed cartridges, the 38 super is semi rimmed, but the 9mm is rimless. So it matters how the cylinder is cut. I have a friend that had his 627 chambered for the 9mm. He had a constant problem with misfires. It was our thought that the cylinder would allow the 9mm cass to go farther down the cylinder increasing the distance for the firing pin to travel before striking the primer. He had no problems with the 38 or super just the 9mm. The cylinder was cut away where the moonclip would touch so that point became headspace for the 9mm cartridge. Just a thought. later rdd

+1, FWIW, if you were shopping for a 627 38 super to also shoot your .355/.356 9 x 19 ammo, my .38 super really doesn't like .355's or .356's. I shoot a .358 billy bullet lead load I got from a friendly forum member. (thanks bubber.)

+1, FWIW, if you were shopping for a 627 38 super to also shoot your .355/.356 9 x 19 ammo, my .38 super really doesn't like .355's or .356's. I shoot a .358 billy bullet lead load I got from a friendly forum member. (thanks bubber.)

Yeah that is something I have been reading. Looks like even the ones that came from the factory as 38 supers still have a .357 barrel in them. So either way I went if I wanted any kind of decent accuracy I would need to load .357 or as you say a .358 caliber bullet anyway. I am thinking I'll take the most logical approach and get some 38 short colt or some 38 special and trim to my own length, get a caliber conversion for the 650, and just buy .357/.358 bullets whenever I order some .355.

My opinion...and I am currently shooting a 627-4 38Super.

The super clips no where near perform as well as heartho clips in starline 38SC,LC,Special brass. My 38super Hearthco's (Purchased throughTK moonclips) were as loose as stamped ranch clips. I told TK my conserns and he then sent me more clips that were either too tight to get brass in or that had one of the 8 slots so oversized a single round fell out through gravity. My 38Special Hearthco clips preform reloads 4-6 tenths faster. I did also run short colts in my .38 super gun for several months. This worked amazingly well except for the fact that returning the short colt brass shot in a super chamber back to a size that would again chamber in my special cylinder was more work than it was worth. I eventually settled on loosy goosy hearthco super clips in my super gun. My wife now shoots Long Colts in a Titanium .38special cylinder in her 27-7. I just picked up one of thise JM627 6.5" slab side 627's. I may just park my 627 in super to play with that one soon.

In conclustion. I have several cool 8 shot limited guns and would still today pick the 627 in .38special, simply because the hearthco moon clips preform better in the starline .38 special clips than, starlines in .38 super clip.

To be fair. I think TK Customs is cutting clips using the hearthco name? Not sure, but I can tell you the .38 special clips I got directly from Dave far out preform the super clips I got from TK custom even though they are all called Hearthco's.

Well I actually was notified by a friend that mikey357 posted his 38 Super on the classifieds so it looks like I am gonna get a super instead of a special. I ordered 500 remington 38super brass this morning. What kind of moons hold rem brass tightly?

Well I actually was notified by a friend that mikey357 posted his 38 Super on the classifieds so it looks like I am gonna get a super instead of a special. I ordered 500 remington 38super brass this morning. What kind of moons hold rem brass tightly?

hearthco moonclips are the best. You can get them at moonclips.com or tkcustom.com

If you need a holster, call Chris Stewart (Ready Tactical) and have him build you a custom DOH that you will love! Tell him Chris S Sent you

hearthco moonclips are the best. You can get them at moonclips.com or tkcustom.com

If you need a holster, call Chris Stewart (Ready Tactical) and have him build you a custom DOH that you will love! Tell him Chris S Sent you

Well Mikey is including a holster but if he didn't I would make my own, been doin that for a few people around here including myself

• 1 year later...

38 short colt, 38 long colt, 38 spec, or 38 clayton welch custom length brass, or whatever you want....

short colt with 9mm load data

On this issue I have been reading constantly, here and countless other forums, and I have yet to decipher the multi-caliber usage.

If I buy a 357, I can shoot the 38 brass at any length I want, to help with loading and unloading. My question is about the bullets. Is it best to use .357 bullets or will I be able to notice any effects on accuracy if I use the same .355/.356 as I shoot out of my 9mm semiauto? Most say to swage the barrel to see what it should like cause they aren't all perfectly to spec, but what is the general consensus?

Also, I've read that you can get the cylinder machined to shoot just about everything close to 38 caliber, so is it feasible for it to be machined to shoot regular 9x19 so I could shoot the same load as my production rig? As I understand, the extra length inside the cylinder that the bullet has to travel before it gets to the barrel throat is undesirable, but is it that bad?

Basically, I like the idea of having as many interchangeable components between my production rig and my ICORE rig as possible. Yall that know please enlighten...

On my 627 I've loaded both .355 and .358 bullets. The .355 bullets will take you out to 15-20 yards, but after that groups open up considerably but will work if you just need some bullets for a close in match.

The .358s will go as far as you need. With Bayou Bullet 160's loaded into short colts they'll X ring a 30 yard target all day long. I've also been able to semi consistently hit a gopher target at 100 yards and a IDPA paper target at 200 yards (with about 3 feet of elevation adjustment!). Have no idea why you'd need to do that, but it's a great "hold my beer and watch this" moment for your rifle shooting buddies.

No doubt the Super will be very nice.

I almost opted for a Super, but finally opted for a M627 .357. I bought 2000 pieces of Starline .38 Short Colt brass and Hearthco moon clips - and have NOT looked back at all. (Only wish I had bought 3000 Short Colt cases.)

Had the M929 9mm been available back then, I might have (probably would have) seriously considered that, but am very happy with the M627.

The only other "maybe" would be to buy Long Colt brass and cut down to "Mid Colt" length. But again, am very happy with the M627 and Short Colt.