Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40S&W bullet weights

Dr Mitch

I've only shot 180gr bullets so far in .40S&W, and was thinking of trying something new with the next bunch of projectiles. A lighter bullet, actually. Any thoughts? Right now I'm running 5.1gr WST with 180gr Bayou Bullets at 1.185"OAL, and it's a good load. I've just made it to where I can compete at the M level, am running low on projectiles, and feel like switching things up.

Dr Mitch,

You might want to look at 200gr 40 bullets. I use both Montana Gold and Zero.

It gives you a little more push in the hand, but less muzzle flip. I've tried

180's and I prefer 200's. Just some food for thought.

Ron V

The general consensus is 135, 155, 165 gr bullets are more snappy in the hand where as 170, 175, 180 and up are more of a push. I use 180s but have been looking at trying a small lot of 200s to see how they feel.

If you like that load, why switch? Are 180s hard to come by for you now?

Edited by PKT1106

if you're competing at the M level, yer not doin' it wrong, eh?

I shot 165's (because there were no 180's available when I first ordered in bulk) for a year, and just recently switched to 180's. You can go so much lighter on powder on the 180's that for a c/b shooter it makes a measurable difference in splits (bill drills and so forth). That may not apply to a more skilled and experienced shooter.

The load I use is OK, and maybe I'm looking for something that isn't there. I did most of my skill-building shooting limited minor with a G17, based on a more serious interest in 3-Gun. Which I still have, because 3-Gun is three times the fun. But I knew at some point I'd move to a 2011, so I did it early, a little too early. I feel like a snappy .40S&W would handle like a 9mm load, but am fishing for someone to confirm such a thing.

The 165 gr bullet in 40 is snappier. I use both the 165 and 180 bullets. My preference is the 180 in my Brazos 5" gun. I have the 165s left from when I tried a 6" Limited gun. The 180 gr load is more of a push to the hand rather than the sharp snappy 165 gr. recoil impulse.

I would try 165's then and see. Sounds like you're running a 5" gun. You'll need about .4 or .5 grains more powder with a 165 grain bullet for a comparable pf.

165's do seem to work best with my light 6". A little more snap in the hand compared to 180's, but the quick recoil impulse seems to match the lightened top end of my gun. My old 180 gr. 5" loads just didnt feel right with the new gun...

• 2 weeks later...

It is a 5" gun, full-length dust cover, generic Edge-type gun. I ordered 170s, so we'll see how that goes. Maybe I should have considered just lightening the slide or moving to a bushing gun with a short dustcover, but I don't have time for that right now.

• 2 months later...

I've shot maybe 600 rounds of the 170 grain bullets, and they're fantastic, especially with the FLGR and 14# recoil spring. Only hang-up at all was having to adjust my seating die due to the different bullet profile and coating, which I did not expect. Very big difference between the Bayou truncated cone and the Precision round-nose.

I run 155gr. Berry Plated HBRN with 5.0gr. of Titegroup, and small magnum pistol primers from a 5" bushing barrel limited. Snappy but accurate and quick return of front sight. Did use 180gr. round shoulder flat point, less muzzle flip and more push. Still like the 155gr. Round nose feeds better. Might want to try hollow points.

• 4 months later...

MG 165gn JHP are a great bullet to experiment with and can be crazy accurate with multiple powders. Not so light as to be super snappy, but you'll notice a difference. I've been working up major loads with the MG JHP155s lately and while exciting, I think the 165s are just a better round. The entire shooting sequence happens so much faster that when you get back to 180s, it'll feel like you're shooting in slow motion.

I like the 185 Precisions under 4.9 WST @ 1.200 OAL. Gives me 174 PF. (170 PF on very hot days)

But, after being in the same Squad with Robert Vogel recently who shoots a 200 grain in his Limited gun (Glock), I'm going to take a look at the 200 grain bullets myself.

Dr. Mitch- Congratulations on making Master, its a great achievement that requires a lot of dedication.

I meant that I can shoot at that level sometimes. Haven't got an M-card yet, but thanks for the positivity.