Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grrl okay after surgery

Vicodin is a good thing, nuff said  :wub:

I was sitting up and asking for coffee and a cigarette about 15 mins after he finished.

Cool! ;)

B) Although I assume you had never even heard of those these three substances before the surgery!

-Chet

Stick to the PT and if you can, do extra! I busted up a foot pretty bad about 12 years ago. I still don't have about 30% of the mobility. And getting that much back was a tough slog. Keep at it. You'll be glad later.

Glad everything is going fine so far.

Joel

And that proves it again - woman can take more pain and handle it better than men! I would have killed the doctor only for sending me such a response...they are supposed to heal you <_<<_<

Hope you get well soon and back into the full swing of things... :rolleyes:

OK, so what do I do so that I never have to have that freaking operation from hell like Kath's. Just thinking about it makes me want to zuke.

Reminds me all too well of shin splints during my heavy running days. I had to break up the scar tissue with my thumbs - and could feel the sickening pops and crunching as I did it. I could manage it for a few minutes, then I'd always have to stop before I threw up.

I would have killed the doctor only for sending me such a response...they are supposed to heal you <_<<_<

MY Doctor did not send me that explanation! Thankfully, our own John Dunn is an Ortho and was able to tell me the truth about the procedure - I asked him to be honest with me, I do much better knowing exactly what I'm about to face!

That's exactly the diagnosis my wife has. She's been taking the long slow PT route, so your opinion of this procedure a month down the road would be appreciated.

I hope you have a speedy and complete recovery!

Kevin

Hey Kevin - I DID do the long slow PT route also! 4 months, 3 x's a week, with marked improvement... for awhile :) It took 4 months to get relatively pain free and able to move, but within 3 months the pain was so bad I went in and ASKED for surgery! However, you should know that I do have a spur - not just the "frozen shoulder" and my Dr decided to try the non-invasive procedure first. I will probably still have to have the spur removed, our hope though is not for a looong time :)

Today, I am completely pain free - without drugs :) I do have to go to torture at 9am though!

MY Doctor did not send me that explanation! Thankfully, our own John Dunn is an Ortho and was able to tell me the truth about the procedure - I asked him to be honest with me, I do much better knowing exactly what I'm about to face!

I'm for, in this case, knowing my shoulder is shot and something can be done. Sure tell me that they will bend me a bit and that it will hurt afterwards. Then put me down, wake me up and tell me it was a success. After the pain is gone you may tell me the gory details...until then - I don't wanna know....

I'm a big sissie when it comes to doctors - they keep practicing.... :rolleyes:

"...Sometimes it takes a heck of a lot of force, most time you can hear the adhesions around the joint capsule as they tear..."

Excuse me, I think I'm going to be ill.....

Me too. Where's that air-sick bag I've been saving for a time like this.

Wussies...try being in an OR during open heart surgery (triple bypass if I remember right) or worse, knee surgery?

Get better soon Kath

I was awake for my hip replacement. They made a lot of weird noises... including sawing off my old hip and grinding out the old socket, then pounding in the replacement steel shaft, etc., etc., etc. I heard it all. :wacko::rolleyes:

The one thing worse than pain is hearing the pain and not feeling it...could make anyone sick :blink:

I was awake for my hip replacement. They made a lot of weird noises... including sawing off my old hip and grinding out the old socket, then pounding in the replacement steel shaft, etc., etc., etc. I heard it all. :wacko::rolleyes:

....and you didn't ask them to rig a mirror so you could watch? I wanted to be awake for my appendectomy ---- but they feared complications and put me under....

One of the things you sign off on when having special surgeries is an OK to admit film crews documenting procedures for educational purposes. My remark to them just before they shot me full of numbness was, "...What? No film crew today?" There was no film crew. Shucks. :P

Nope, no mirrors. You're pretty much veiled from the waist up because there's a lot of flying debris in this kind of procedure. The medical team all wear full (what they affectionately call) "space suits"... full coverage haz-mat kinda things. It's messy.

Meanwhile, I have visions of archeologists digging us all up someday way in the future (if the planet lasts that long) and finding gobs of metallic objects in place of bones... Weird artifacts... :rolleyes:

Since we're talking about gross things, how 'bout a gross photo.

http://users.adelphia.net/~leslieclutterha...ecystectomy.jpg

These are shots from my innards during the operation to have my gallbladder removed (a procedure called a cholecystectomy). It was done laproscopically and the most visible scar looks like I was shot in the gut.

Top left is a photo of them cutting into the gallbladder and the bile spewing forth. :D The top right and bottom left are photos of tools from what I can tell. The bottom right is all that remains after the op. I don't know if that's a suction device or the shunt that was wrapped around it and felt REALLY weird when it was pulled out.

I was in and out of the hospital in less than 12 hours... pretty awesome turn around time (gunsmiths take heed). The meal that I ate in the hospital was AWESOME... best Salisbury steak I've ever had. Going to the ER the Wednesday after because the muscles in my ribs were spasming and I couldn't breathe sucked ass, however. Sucked even more sitting there for 3+ hours barely able to breathe knowing that all they would do would be to give me muscle relaxants and pain killers and telling them as much and still having them go through all the bullshit (taking an X-ray, etc.). BTW, they had me on three different painkillers because they all gave me headaches (Vicodin, Tylenol w/ codeine, and one other). That sucked. Not crapping for 4 days sucked, too, as did not being able to get up without some sort of upper body support.

That all being said, none of it sucked nearly as much as my one and only gallbladder "attack." I can deal with injuries. You can usually find a position that doesn't hurt as much and gives you some temporary relief. When you've got a little sack of muscle squeezing something really hard (gargantuan gallstone), however, there's no relief. Sometimes it sucks being fat. ;)