Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Better magazines for STI Edge

Pistolskytte

Hi all.

I recently bought an STI Edge in 9mm, and I sincerely love the gun!

However...

My stainless steel mags get slightly rust stained. Nothing serious, just enough to annoy me. I do realize that stainless steel comes in different qualities, but still - rust on MY EDGE?!?

Also, the mag followers annoy me. Occasionally the slide locks back with one round still left, and loading the first round frequently annoys me too, as the follower binds.

I kinda decided to buy the Grahms mag follower kit, but before I do:

Does anybody know of a perfect magazine for my 9mm Edge? Are the SPS magazines any better, and do they fit my STI?

Yours truly,

Fast Fumble

(www.uckfup.dk)

Although I initially had the same slide locking problem with the last round still in the mag (solved by grinding the follower tab that raises the slide stop), I have never experienced rust or other problems with my 126mm SVI tubes.

I own then since 4 years now, have puth some 45 k rounds through my gun, and they work perfectly.

It could also be your sweat. Do you have any other stainless guns?

I know that my perspiration is very acidic. I can put rust on just about anything. I have two stainless guns and if I don't wipe them down after each use they will start to rust.

As a bass player, I am often breaking strings and corroding bridges for the same reason.

-Chet

Guest Larry Cazes

I had the same slidelock problem with 1 left in the mag with the new grams followers as well. Either trim the enggagement surface on your slidestop or trim the surface on the followers. In my case, this would only happen during live fire and was caused by the follower bouncing under recoil.

My old STI mags have a matte finish. If yours are like that too, polishing them to a mirror finish will minimize corrosion problems and will also make them slide easier.

A much easier and better solution would be to have them hard chromed or NP3d.

My pistol was locking open prematurely and my smith fixed that pretty easy.

Basically added a divet to the back edge of the slide stop.

Basically, the divet was for the plunger to add a little resistance. It added just enough that my premature slide lock problems went away.

His explaination had to do with the rounds bumping the slide stop as they were being fed upwards. Basically, as I understood it, the problem was born of running long ammo in a doublestack mag in a pistol originally designed as a singlestack.

Whatever,,,,it fixed my problem and I don't have to mess with every new mag or follower I get. :D

H4444

My pistol was locking open prematurely and my smith fixed that pretty easy.

Basically added a divet to the back edge of the slide stop.

Basically, the divet was for the plunger to add a little resistance. It added just enough that my premature slide lock problems went away.

His explaination had to do with the rounds bumping the slide stop as they were being fed upwards. Basically, as I understood it, the problem was born of running long ammo in a doublestack mag in a pistol originally designed as a singlestack.

Whatever,,,,it fixed my problem and I don't have to mess with every new mag or follower I get. :D

H4444

Damn, you guys are good!

The knowledge accumulated in this forum is just awesome!

I think I'll be going for the Grahms kit, hardchromed magbody and if nescessary a bit of mag-follower tuning. Shipping the gun to Grahms is not an option, as I live in Denmark :-)

Thanks for the advice all!

Fast Fumble, Denmark

Did the same with my pistol as h4444.

This also solved the problem I experienced with different length slide stops. That 0.5mm shorter slide stop bounced enough to lock the slide prematurely. I had a longer slide stop lock pin made up - by about .4mm - and added dimples to all my slide stops. Now I can pop in any make (with or without dimple) and be sure at least one problem will not occur again. :P

Detent drill

This is what you need to drill deeper dimples in the back of the slide stop. Take out the plunger and put in the stop and push the stop down. One end of the drill slides into the plunger tube and cuts the dimple where it needs to be. Take out the stop and use the other end of the drill to cut the dimple deeper. It's all done by hand, no special drills are needed. I did this on 3 different guns to fix the same problem.

Good luck.