Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Wrench & Lock Nut

Has anyone else had an issue with the Dillon Wrench rounding off the edges on the lock nuts? When i went to go tighten my DIES down the wrench was rounding off the edges on the nuts. This was really annoying! Not sure if the wrench is a POS, or if the lock nuts are

If it is the stamped wrench with the hex opening on the other end for the powder bar, it is marginal at best. A cheap-o adjustable works much better. The nuts are good, just use another wrench.

You are correct in your opinion of the Dillon wrench. It is indeed a POS cheap wrench. When mine starts to show signs of spreading I just hold it on edge on the garage floor and tap it with a hammer until it's tight again. Works great. Combine that with soft nuts and you get rounded edges. I keep quite a few on hand and when I get a few rounded off bad enough I replace them and call Dillon for resupply.

Had you eaten your veggies you would know this already.

Throw the Dillon wrench in the trash. The best thing you'll ever find to tighten your lock nuts is a 1" deep-well SOCKET!!!! :) Nothing beats that. I'm not a big fan of adjustable wrenches. They always seem to loosen / tighten up up at the worst possible time.

Throw the Dillon wrench in the trash. The best thing you'll ever find to tighten your lock nuts is a 1" deep-well SOCKET!!!! :) Nothing beats that. I'm not a big fan of adjustable wrenches. They always seem to loosen / tighten up up at the worst possible time.

You know Chris. I was waiting for your suggestion to get thrown out there. How do you get over the assorted clips etc on top of the dies with a socket? Am I missing something?

My sizing die kept loosening up on me when I was loading 38 Super, and it used to irritate me something awful. Until I started using the deep-well socket and a 3/8" Craftsman ratchet on that bad boy! Now it obeys like nobody's business! ;)

I must be fortunate. I've only loaded 15-20k rounds so far on my 550 but with only moderate torque my dies seem to stay put and the rounding isn't bad. I bought a few extra $2 rings just in case but since I'm using toolheads I don't anticipate taking them off too often.

Edited by Dirty Rod

Unbelievable that a company priding itself on "precision" would ship such a poorly-fitting wrench! I was dumbfounded when I received mine and found how poorly it fit... I liked the concept of the tool tray, but the wrench just had to go.

Roger

Wandering around in my fav hock shop one day and I stumbled upon a 24MM (1 inch) cast box end wrench like they put in motorcycle/4 wheeler toolkits. A boxend with a handle and nothing on the other end--perfect. Lets ya do what ya need to do without interference/damage to anything. Cost a buck and worth five!

I purchased a wrench off of ebay a couple years ago. It was made of aluminum and produced on a CNC machine. It was great until it broke. Now I notice someone is making the same wrench in steel...but it is about $28 bucks plus freight! Still it did work nice. Below is a picture of wrench currently on one of the auction sites, "I have no dog in this race".

post-18732-0-24294900-1358517341_thumb.j

My sizing die kept loosening up on me when I was loading 38 Super, and it used to irritate me something awful. Until I started using the deep-well socket and a 3/8" Craftsman ratchet on that bad boy! Now it obeys like nobody's business! ;)

I use a 1/2" drive socket - You won't lossen it unless you use the socket.