Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SNL base pads on 140mm STI tubes

Ultimo-Hombre

Have searched a lot of info on SNL base pads fitting the gauge. The threads all seem to drift off to guys talking about thier other tubes capacities setups etc. my question is this: how many of you fit the gauge with new Sti tubes running the SNL bases. I know just buying the gauge would tell me but am pretty tight on my budget here. Only looking for responses from guys who have personally checked the setup and KNOW its GTG. I understand there are slight differences from tube to tube, what have you seen?

Thanks!

I think a bigger question would be if you manage to acquire a tube that puts you over what can you do to make it fit the gauge? All of my tubes pass because i bought the completed mags from Brazos. If I buy new tubes what can I do to modify them if they turn out to be long?

I've seen a lot of people sand down a small portion of the rear edge of the base pad to fit the gauge. I'd ask around at your local club and see if someone has one you could put your mags through. Where are you located?

I'm in the same position btw. I just got some SNL base pads to try to fit some more rounds. Luckily I know a couple people who have gauges locally.

You won't get the answer you are looking for. I probably have 20+ STI mags in my shop right now. Most with SNL's. It was probably 50/50 that would make the gauge. On mine it only took a few passes with a file on the back of the feed lips to make them good to go. The tubes really do vary that much.

Edited by Shadyscott999

I've seen a lot of people sand down a small portion of the rear edge of the base pad to fit the gauge. I'd ask around at your local club and see if someone has one you could put your mags through. Where are you located?

I'm in the same position btw. I just got some SNL base pads to try to fit some more rounds. Luckily I know a couple people who have gauges locally.

As a club we plan to purchase both an official box and mag gauge in the next month so that everyone can check their guns and mags.

I have my own gauge and I also have 4 SV mags and 4 STI mags. The SV mags all gauged okay with the SNL pads but none of my STI mags would fit with SNL pads without some filing at the basepad or feedlips so I just went with the +1 pads for the STI mags.

Fabricated my own gauge at the rule length 142.25 or whatever it is can't remember now. I know it is not official but it looks like none of my sti mags are gonna pass with the SNL's.

crapola! Given that mags are scarce now I don't really want to file the mags and foul em up.

Anyone out there want to trade some new unopened SNL's for some new standard Dawson's? ( red )

I feel the "SNL" tag is all marketing. The 12 STI tubes, each with the bases, ALL fit into the official gauge. I was asked once by a Range Master/Match director who was running my squad, if my mags were legal. It was mentioned in jest, but I was worried. Next match, with gauge in hand, I went directly to the gentlemen and showed the results.

Once the gauge was seen, mags were appearing out of belts and trunks... Zero failures on SNL pads that DID NOT HAVE the Dawson tape. Several skateboard taped pads had to be squeezed into the gauge. Which I could imaging some persons claiming they were not legal due to not resting on the "gauge pad".

I have 2 and they both work great, but won't fit the gauge IF I have the Dawson Mag Number Decal on the heel, I have to cut and peel that off the back third to make them fit, they're that close.

If you don't have a gauge, know someone who does or just can't gain access, I'd not try it. Unless you commit to filing off an eighth inch of the Pad at the rear corner.

I'd just stick with a +1 and know you're good. With the right springs, follower I'm able to easily get 19 and have a couple that will go 20 with them.

I have one Bolen set up that will go 21.

All the 20/21 mags are really tight fully loaded also.

I had a set of 5 STI tubes that would not fit the gauge with SNLs. I have a set of 5 SV tubes that do fit. I have another 5 STI tubes that I haven't tried.

I also have 2 SV 170 tubes that do not fit the gauge with SNLs. I tried shaving one down to make it fit, and I cut all the way through to the inside before it was even close.

• 3 weeks later...