Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken basepads... now what?!?!

Sharyn

OK, I've managed to break two Gram's basepads and today I broke a second Dawson +2 basepad. Yeah, that's four total in less than 5 months... <_<

Are there any "Sharyn-proof" basepads available? :blink:

Actually, I think the real cause of breakage is the frequency in which they're dropped on concrete. I shoot an indoor match nearly every week and my mags take a beating.

Are the basepads with the lil push-innie star thingie on the bottom made by STI? Maybe those kind would work for me? At least they're less expensive to replace... ???

Please help.

:(

Thanks Eric! What are the drawbacks to using the STIs? (the disassembly is not too difficult ;) ) I will use the Dawson +2s primarily, but I need something that will take the concrete punishment better. Do you think the STIs would fit the bill?

I don't see how I could break them... but somehow I always find a way. :lol:

Sniper,

My STI basepads give me identical capacity to my high-zoot Dawson basepads, but I spend my time practicing reloads in lieu of tweaking magazines, so I'm not the right person to ask about capacity issues. I get 19 reloadable rounds w/my STI pad with no brain strain on my part.

Thanks everyone!

Eric, I'm not concerned with the capacity on these. The only reason I'll resort back to my Dawson +2s is because they're all pretty covered in sparkles n' stuff and they match my guns n' gear. ;)

My big stick was "confiscated" by someone who cares about my shooting. He said he wants me to practice more reloads. I whined a little (ok, a lot) when my "security blanket" was taken away... and I still whine when I have to do TWO reloads on a stage in OPEN division! :o but, it will make me a better competitor. :D I borrowed a basepad tonight (the one with the star - STI) and I could still fit 22+1 in there but I load to 21. I only shoot to about 18 anyhow though, so no sense in pushing the reliability.

So, anyhow, I'm practicing more reloads and beating the crap out of my basepads in the process. My big stick has the STI basepad on it and before it was "confiscated" I pretty much used it exclusively and it never broke. That's why I was thinking of trying some of those... then I saw the price tag too! :D Sounds like they'll work for me then... ???

Thanks for the help everyone!

:D

Nice Vince!! ;)

I've had the same Grams for over a year now. I've even used them on indoor concrete ranges without breakage. I think the key is to NOT pre-stress the pad by NOT forcing the retaining u-pin in. Since all your mags are slightly different, and the dimensions of the pads are slightly different (.005" maybe) you should install all of your pads on every one of your mags to see which combination allows the u-pin to be inserted with the least amount of resistance.

TD

I've heard Beven say that if the base of the mag is too wide, it'll cause a break everytime. So a few swipes of a file or sending your mags to Beven for his tuning package will take care of this problem while retaining capacity.

With regard to capacity. My Beven tuned .40 mags (with his spring, follower & base pad) get 20 rounds (seatable without godzilla strength) vs. 18 rounds in my mags with Beven's spring Follower & factory STI base pad.

OMG, Vince Pinto!!! That's hilarious!!! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! Thanks!!! :lol:

Once again the awesome people that frequent this forum have helped me solve a problem. Thanks for all your great suggestions and advice!!!

:D

Bevin will replace the broken pad.. for a while i used rtv to glue a pice of soft rubber to the basepad. and it does help and the rtv will peel off and you have no mess on your pads.. since then i have started letting the mag i drop on concrete

hit my other hand as i am briging the new mag from my pouch, yes it cost a little time, but no more broken pads...

One of my mags has an annoying habit of dissassembling when it hits the concrete floor just the right way. I have learned to ignore it during the COF but sometimes it takes a while to find all the components. Shooting at an indoor range is rough on magazines.

I'll have to try the bumpers on the bottom to see if it will help.

dj

Bit of a drift...my mags never fall on the base pads, always the ammo and feeding lips kiss ground first :angry:

DB:

I'm trying to understand how your mags manage to take headers all the time.

Do you flick out the mag with a wrist rotation, making it spin in the air? Do they drop free, or do you need to pull them out? My mags always seem to go straight out out the magwell unless I am trying to shake the mag out.

:unsure:

Yes, I've got a bit of a flip thing going. My mags land about 1.5 to 2m left of me (no its not that far, I'm 1.9m tall :P ). My base pads are CR Speed Al and when there are only a couple of rounds left in the mag it is quite top heavy...thus the nose first action. So far the Para mags have take the punishment with no ill effects :D

I think the key is to NOT pre-stress the pad by NOT forcing the retaining u-pin in. Since all your mags are slightly different, and the dimensions of the pads are slightly different (.005" maybe) you should install all of your pads on every one of your mags to see which combination allows the u-pin to be inserted with the least amount of resistance.

TD

I spoke to da man himself on this one. He told me that each upper and lower portion of a basepad are a unique pair, with the U-pin holes drilled with each set mated so they match perfectly w/o stress. Any other combo of parts runs some risk of stress from variance in the hole alignment just from even the slight CNC tolerances of his mill. That is why he asks for the unbroken part of a pad when you ask for a replacement - so that he can used the unbroken part as a guide to drill a new mate, instead of just mailing you a unmatched part from stock on hand.

I could not find your other thread, Try the Bill Drill , but make the splits perfectly even,

the draw does not count , make the splits all at 0.20 or less . , then combine a good draw 1.00 with good controled splits at 0.20 or less and you have a bill Drill in control that looks and feels great.

Remember , Shoot fast and Look Good.

Does this mean that you will stop using my only big stick that I have working.

*gasp* SHHHH!!! You're going to get me in trouble for using a big stick!!! :o And, you're kinda lucky that it still works after I used it. I had ya worried when I took it apart and couldn't get it back together, didn't I? :lol:

Hey Dave,... can I borrow your basepads again? :P