Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder storage

tires2burn

I have heard it said that powder can absorb moisture if it is not kept in an airtight container. Whether this actually makes a difference performancewise I do not know. At least, here in low humidity California, I haven't appreciated any changes in my loads using Vihtavouri powder when leaving the powder in the hopper. As TS mentioned, many powders can stain the hopper to the point where you can't really see inside, so I've gotten into the habit of emptying the hopper when I'm done (it also reinforces the recommended recheck of the throw weight before starting another loading session).

A week shouldn't be a problem especially if you are not in a really humid environment. I normally empty the measure after each session but I've left powder in the measure for several weeks a couple times with no adverse effects.

On my bench powder is left in what ever the machine is setup for. Which means powder is in the hopper for months at a time although contents are cycled as I produce ammo. It only gets emptied when I do a change over and the toolhead is stored. BTW, machine is covered when not in use.

I keep powder in hoppers on both my LNL presses for weeks at a time. The powder gets cycled through as I load ammo, but they aren't normally emptied. Presses are in the garage in humid central Florida. No problems for me. I often leave primers in there too. YMMV.

I always load a stack of ammo and chrono before a major match and have never noticed any fluctuations or problems.

Jugs of powder and primers are stored in an interior closet.

I keep powder in hoppers on both my LNL presses for weeks at a time. The powder gets cycled through as I load ammo, but they aren't normally emptied. Presses are in the garage in humid central Florida. No problems for me. I often leave primers in there too. YMMV.

I always load a stack of ammo and chrono before a major match and have never noticed any fluctuations or problems.

Jugs of powder and primers are stored in an interior closet.

Same here. I'm in north central Florida, and it sometimes stays in the hopper for months. I do take a brass rod before each loading session and mix up the powder in the hopper to make sure there aren't any lumps or clumps. Never found any yet.

I have heard it said that powder can absorb moisture if it is not kept in an airtight container.

Well, people say lots of things, but that one is incorrect. Smokeless powder is designed to be nearly entirely non-hygroscopic.

Now, Gold Bond Powder, that's another matter altogether...... ;-)

Wasn't there a story of one of the powder manufacturers storing a 'lab standard' batch of powder in water over the years? Then small amounts would be dried and tested as needed. Can't attest to the validity of the story.

• 2 weeks later...

If you do leave it in the hopper, make sure to come up with a good way to mark it, so if you're away for a while, you don't have to try to remember what powder it was. I never leave powder in the hopper when I stop a reloading session.

Wasn't there a story of one of the powder manufacturers storing a 'lab standard' batch of powder in water over the years? Then small amounts would be dried and tested as needed. Can't attest to the validity of the story.

Absolutely true. It was Hercules and Bullseye. Assuming Alliant still has it at their factory, that original sample batch is now 100 years old!

I learned this during the deposition of a retired Hercules product manager who said, "Hell, I was there!" (or words to that effect).