Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning brass with Nufinish

Nimitz

Finally used up my bottle of Dillon brass cleaner and was looking for a cheaper alternative. Thought I rememberd folks saying they made a homemade verion with Nufinish & mineral spirts. did a quick search and only found refrences to using plain Nufinish. Do i need to mix with anything or can it be used straight out of the bottle? Thx

I think it's a little too thick to spread around personally. I use an old Dawn dishwashing liquid bottle with about 50/50 NF and mineral spirits. Lasts forever this way too. I only put more polish in bowl about every 5th load of brass or so.

Been using about 2 table spoon fulls (straight) in my small tumbler for about 20 years. Brass comes out beautiful every time. Just make sure to run the tumble with only the media and nufinish (no brass) until it disperses. I actually like to put it in, run the tumble about 10 mins, then let it sit over night. I typically add more wax about every 3 or 4 months.

I mix Nufinish and regular case polish together in an old case polish bottle. Nufinish does a good job by itself but combined with regular case polish you get a better shine that last longer. I mix in about 70% Nufinish with a about 30% Cabela's case polish. Of course, my brass is soaked and cleaned in a vinegar solution 1st. Everyone I've talked to says that my process elimates the need for case lube. A little mineral spirits, probably a teaspoon or less, will add just a little more slickness to the cases. But, I really don't like fooling with mineral spirits, so usually leave it out of the process.

There are a lot of Q-Tips involved, too, but most folks think that's wierd, so I won't mention it.

I'll bite, what are the q tips for?

After I rinse the brass in a spagetti strainer, I go to the living room, turn on the TV, put in my favorite match video, plop down on the floor with my back against the couch, put a small towel in my lap, poor the brass on the towel, and then clean the inside of the cases with Q-Tips. Let'm dry and then tumble with the majic Nufinish/Cabella's formula. Now, damn it, I don't want to hear a word. This is Chris' world and I like it . :goof:

Getting the primer pockets clean. Dosen't everybody do that before they load?

Hmm, If I wanted to get anal I would do that, but I'm not anal, of course!

"Thought to self, man that's an idea..cleaning the primer pockets.......new idea, new idea, new idea. Nobody will ever know, and I won't tell them. Keeep it to yourself, keep it to yourself"

I save brass all summer and polish everything in December.

2 cap fulls of Nu Finish and 2 tablespoons of Mineral spirits with each or every other load of brass (depends on how clean the brass comes out).

Sometimes the media appears wet, but the spirits will evaporate. Since the brass comes out like new, media gets dirty faster. I changed the walnut media (which is actually parrot bird litter, english walnut, bought at pet store) every 10,000 rounds or so, whenever it gets pretty dirty. Add the stuff in the tumbler and run it and stir it with an old long screw driver PRIOR to adding brass. 3-4 hours later (sometimes 6 -8 overnight) the shiney brass will blind you. Do not keep a tight lid on this mixture. The mineral spirits will evaporate. I think I cracked my tumbler bowl one year cause I left this in the bowl all summer long in the hot garage with a tight lid on it. By the way, I tumble my loaded rounds for about one hour with ONLY Nu Finish and corn cob media for the ultimate shine. (It gets the Hornady One Shot case lube off). I know that I have a "shiney sickness". My reloads look AwESOME though!

walnut-pet-bird-litter.jpg

Do you know what the approx. mesh size is fine, medium, course? Is it 100% walnut, or are there other ingredients added? Thanks for the tip

It is a bag of Parrot litter. It does not state size or courseness. It states that it is ground up walnut shells. It shines my brass and it is cheaper than buying "walnut brass polishing media"! That's all that matters to me. I bought it at Petsmart. 25 lbs for $20.

Yep.......after your post I called Pet Smart and they said they had it and at the same price as you have now stated.

Does it have an artificial odor to it, like something has been added to it?

Thanks.

Yep.......after your post I called Pet Smart and they said they had it and at the same price as you have now stated.

Does it have an artificial odor to it, like something has been added to it?

Thanks.

No odor to speak of. No fake color added either. No filler. Just crushed walnut shells.

Edited by Red Ryder

• 5 weeks later...

I save brass all summer and polish everything in December.

2 cap fulls of Nu Finish and 2 tablespoons of Mineral spirits with each or every other load of brass (depends on how clean the brass comes out).

Sometimes the media appears wet, but the spirits will evaporate. Since the brass comes out like new, media gets dirty faster. I changed the walnut media (which is actually parrot bird litter, english walnut, bought at pet store) every 10,000 rounds or so, whenever it gets pretty dirty. Add the stuff in the tumbler and run it and stir it with an old long screw driver PRIOR to adding brass. 3-4 hours later (sometimes 6 -8 overnight) the shiney brass will blind you. Do not keep a tight lid on this mixture. The mineral spirits will evaporate. I think I cracked my tumbler bowl one year cause I left this in the bowl all summer long in the hot garage with a tight lid on it. By the way, I tumble my loaded rounds for about one hour with ONLY Nu Finish and corn cob media for the ultimate shine. (It gets the Hornady One Shot case lube off). I know that I have a "shiney sickness". My reloads look AwESOME though!

I use this method also.I use about a 1/2 capful of the low odor mineral spirits

http://www.drillspot.com/products/499763/econoline_526020g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

I buy my media here:

I built a Tumbler that will do 1,100-1,200 9mm at a time with 10lbs of SS. I use to pride myself with the best looking brass at the match... I thought my brass was shinny until i started using SS. Now IT IS the best looking brass!!! Inside and out. Save your money that your spending on meadia corn/walnut/wax, and buy SS one time. I clened of .223's for a buddy and he had some "new" brass that did not look as good. I would post a pic or two (if i knew how?)

I like this nufinish idea. I'm just getting started with reloading and I cleaned a couple of batches of casings using Cabela's 400 series tumbler and their included polish. When that runs out I'll give nufinish a try. Thanks for the info guys.