Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 for USPSA and IDPA

johnhhuber

I am looking to buy a 9mm 1911 for competition in both USPSA and IDPA. I have a Wilson Combat 1911 that I have used for both competitions but I would like to save money on ammo. I figure if I can practice more, the switch from major to minor will negate itself. I have looked into Dan Wesson and Springfield pistols. My top two choices are a Dan Wesson Guardian and a Springfield Government sized with a Robar set up, both are used. Would either of these be legal for both sports or are there any other pistols I should look at.

I know this is a common post but I would appreciate anyones recommendations as I love the 1911 style pistol but with ammo being what it is these days I cannot afford to practice as much as I need.

Merry Christmas!

I like my Trojan in 9mm, shoot it more than other pistols I own Limited and Open STI just a fun little gun.

Might take a few parts and a little tuning to get any brand you pick up to competition status. These little nines are fun and cheaper to shoot.

I just picked up Dan Wesson PM9 that I am going to shoot minor in the Western States Classic in January, usually shoot .45 but have been looking for this guy for a long time and it popped up just in time, I have been running some loads tonight with Vit 320 under a 124g MG JHP, what a nice soft shooting 1911 and very accurate, I am going to have fun with this one...love it so far!

BTW; bought all Wilson ETM mags, so the mags (and Pm9) ran flawless after 500 rounds...

I have a Dan Wesson Pm-9 Great pistol. The springfield NM1911 (usa made) 9mm is a good gun also but is not a Dan Wesson. It does everything it needs to do for USPSA though.

If I didn't own the DW I would be looking to get an STI trojan. A couple of guys at the club have them and they are very nice.

So IMO go with a DW PM-9 or a STI Trojan, which ever you can get your hands on (probably the STI)

Run a 9mm spartan here and got it fully race ready for less than the cost of a trojan with magwell grips new trigger parts and trigger job and a solid front sight. It runs great with the tripp for 10 round and "springfield" mags for 9 round

If you can get your hits your good and the extra 2 rounds makes a nice advantage sometimes

Edited by EkuJustice

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input everyone! I just settled with the Dan Wesson Guardian and have decided to use it as my primary IDPA ESP pistol as well as my daily carry. For USPSA I will use it some (mainly as training for an upcoming IDPA match) but will primarily stick with my Wilson X-Tac.

my daily carry.

There have been a few articles on the difficulty of getting 1911's in 9mm to feed hollowpoints with consistency.

I read one and figured the guy was wrong. Went through a bunch of different factory loads and finally lost interest.

My first choice is the Dan Wesson PM-9 although the STI Troijan would be acceptable. I had a Springfield Target 9mm which was very reliable but would not "group" better than ca. 5 inches at 25 yards. I sold it and purchased a DW PM-9 - 1 inch groups at that same distance. A fellow shooter has a STI Trojan which is slightly less accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

my daily carry.

There have been a few articles on the difficulty of getting 1911's in 9mm to feed hollowpoints with consistency.

I read one and figured the guy was wrong. Went through a bunch of different factory loads and finally lost interest.

I've fired everything from golden sabers to critical duty in my 9mm STI guardian. No feed issues with any of them. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones.

My first choice is the Dan Wesson PM-9 although the STI Troijan would be acceptable. I had a Springfield Target 9mm which was very reliable but would not "group" better than ca. 5 inches at 25 yards. I sold it and purchased a DW PM-9 - 1 inch groups at that same distance. A fellow shooter has a STI Trojan which is slightly less accurate.

Have a Springfield Loaded Target 9mm Stainless and shoots 1.5" groups at 25 yds. both with reloads and WWB. Reloads115gr. & 124 gr MG CMJ and still get 1.2~1.5" groups at 25 yds. Only thing done to the gun was a trigger job - 3lbs. 9,000+ rounds down the tube and only one FTE and that was shooter caused (thumb touching slide). Gun is cleaned and lubed after every outing.