Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Reloader here and some questions

mississaugagunnut

Okay so I started reloading 9mm on my XL 650 and I have a couple of quesitons. I am using 4.3g of Bullseye powder with Winchester primers and 124g fmj rn bullets.

1. Out of the approximately 200rds of my reloads fired so far in my well used CZ Shadow I had 2 or 3 light primer strikes. I pulled the trigger a second time and the round ignited. My primers are flush with the case. Is there a known issue with Winchester primers? Do you suggest another make. My CZ has never had this issue with factory ammo so I am confident it is not the firearm.

2. Do any of you have a favorite recipe for the components mentioned above? I would use them for IPSC or 3 Gun.

Thanks

Yes give the handle a solid push on the up stroke. Primers should seat at around .003 below flush. If they are seated flush it is possible for the firing pin/ striker to seat it that remaining .003 and lose enough momentum that it will fail to ignite the primer. It will work fine if you strike it a second time because the primer is now full seated.

Yes give the handle a solid push on the up stroke. Primers should seat at around .003 below flush. If they are seated flush it is possible for the firing pin/ striker to seat it that remaining .003 and lose enough momentum that it will fail to ignite the primer. It will work fine if you strike it a second time because the primer is now full seated.

+1 Winchester have been the best primer i have used.

I agree with everyone who is saying push harder on the upstroke. Primer depth is likely the problem if they fire on a second strike. If you do have lightened springs though I would suggest trying Federal primers. I get about a one in a thousand failure rate with Winchester primers in some of my guns, but have never had a Federal primer not go off.

I've also seen high primers when I didn't fully swage / ream crimped primer pockets. I use edge of my vernier calipers (ie straight edge) to "feel" high primers. I usually set those off to the side for plinking.

Thanks Shooter, I will look at that. I did something really dumb yesterday. I was loading 45acp and on the downstroke I felt a lot of resistance. Well being the dolt I am I just pulled harder on the handle, Snap! I broke the indexing ring. It turns out that the spent primers had jammed up under the plate and were preventing it from indexing. How lucky am I that the previous owner of the press had a spare in his parts kit. You really get to know your press and it's inner workings after a while.

Also on the 650, make sure your shell plate is properly adjusted. If it is a little loose, it will give a little on the upstroke, and occasionally not seat a primer fully.

+1 to the loose shell plate

I had similar problem before. Of 1000 rds reloaded, I might have at least 20 rds of no-fire scenario. A second pull (DA) of the trigger ignites the round. I am thinking of a bad batch considering I am already using an extended firing pin on my CZ 85C. I will be switching to Federal SPP after stock of about 900 rds re-loaded and another 800 WSPPs.

Okay so I started reloading 9mm on my XL 650 and I have a couple of quesitons. I am using 4.3g of Bullseye powder with Winchester primers and 124g fmj rn bullets.

1. Out of the approximately 200rds of my reloads fired so far in my well used CZ Shadow I had 2 or 3 light primer strikes. I pulled the trigger a second time and the round ignited. My primers are flush with the case. Is there a known issue with Winchester primers? Do you suggest another make. My CZ has never had this issue with factory ammo so I am confident it is not the firearm.

2. Do any of you have a favorite recipe for the components mentioned above? I would use them for IPSC or 3 Gun.

Thanks

Edited by bugsy

I had similar problem before. Of 1000 rds reloaded, I might have at least 20 rds of no-fire scenario. A second pull (DA) of the trigger ignites the round. I am thinking of a bad batch considering I am already using an extended firing pin on my CZ 85C. I will be switching to Federal SPP after stock of about 900 rds re-loaded and another 800 WSPPs.

What you are describing, sounds more like high primers, rather than bad primers.

What you are describing, sounds more like high primers, rather than bad primers.

I agree. An extended firing pin wouldn't make any difference with a high primer....

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the delayed reply. With "high primers", do you mean primers are not seated properly? Those no-fire reloads all came from the same package of 100-pcs primer tray. Never had another one after that batch.

I agree. An extended firing pin wouldn't make any difference with a high primer....

I always make sure to seat mine with enough pressure to slightly flatten them for maximum sensitivity. If I loose concentration and don't do that with CCI's I will get ammo that won't fire the first time. A slight crush on CCI's makes them a lot more sensitive and reliable.