Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA limited, 140mm length legal magazines

AznDragon533

Hello,

Dumb question but....

If i need extra capacity for USPSA limited, 140mm length legal

Gun: GLock 34

Would I get a

A. Glock 17 , 17 Round magazine with Arredondo Extended Magazine Base Pad +5 for a total of 22 rounds

or

B. Glock 19, 15 round magazine with Arredondo Extended Magazine Base Pad +5 for a total of 20 rounds?

thanks

Edited by AznDragon533

Stupid questions as I know nothing about Glocks.....Why is it more desirable to use G17 mags instead of the G34 mags for USPSA competition?

Is it because if you buy the extended base pads for the G34 mags then they will be too long?

Another question, does this apply to gen 4 G34 mags too?

Also, I heard gen 3 mags will not work in a gen 4 gun, is this true?

Last question, So If I wanted to compete in USPSA I should be looking for the G17 mags instead of G34 mags and then buy the extended base pads for extra capacity for the G17 mags if my above assumption is correct?

Thanks for your patience and my eagerness to learn.

Mike

There is absolutely no difference between g17 mags and g34 mags. They hold 17 rounds and are identical.

Gen 3 mags work in a gen 4 as long as you have not switched the mag release to the right side of the gun. Gen 4 mags have mag catch cutouts on both sides of the mag while gen 3 mags have cut out on the left side only.

Edited by Shokr21

I got the idea from the first question as the poster listed the Gun as Glock 34 but was asking about using Glock 17 mags vs. Glock 19 in what I assumed the Glock 34 gun. Sorry for the confusion but it led me to think there is something different about them and that is what I wanted to find out, as I may get a Glock 34 and would want to use for USPSA events so it was important to know if I needed to get G17 mags as extras vs. buying G34 mags.

Can you see where I got confused?

Thanks for helping me.

Mike

Well the gun I would be shopping for would be for my 12yr & 15 yr old sons to shoot in steel and maybe try a USPSA match later this year, so I am looking at the 9mm for less recoil and cheaper ammo.

How many mag's should be enough for most matches? 1 in the gun and 3 on the belt? Would look into the Dawson extended mag base pads as mentioned above.

Thanks for the help,

Mike

I would get 6 mags for production or 4 for limited. If you are going to use a glock for limited you might want to look into the dawson precision crp pistols. Then you get a magwell and a couple of mag extensions and some of the best iron sights on the market

• 3 weeks later...

I have been running Talyor Freelance 140mm extensions at plus 6 in 9mm and plus 5 in 40S&W. They never dis-assemble themselves, but take a little more effort to pop apart them Arrendondos or Dawsons. The difference in Glock mags is not model based, but frame based. Full size is a G17 which fits the G34/G17L. G19 is midsized, G26 is compact, but a G17 mag will fit both. And uppers can be changed common to a G17/G22/G34/G35/G17L/G24/G31 because the frames are all identical except for the ejector and extractor, 9mm and 40S&W mags are the same external/internal dimensions except for the feed lips. G17 upper will not fit a G19.

You also want to have spares on hand too, with the mags getting thrown around, dropped, beat up, and with reload practice they can get chewed up..

And nothing worse than being at a match and having a mag fail, especially in production..