Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Original or EZ trigger?

Smokecloud

Still looking at triggers for my new 3gun build. I think I have decided to go with a JP original, but wanted to know what you guys think. What are the pro's and cons of the original vs the EZ, I will be installing it myself and know my way around these rifles pretty well. I will be going with the full JP system either way. I don't have any experience with the JP triggers though, other than shooting a friends once. I handled a Giessele 3g trigger a couple of days ago and thought it was nice, but it wasnt quite as crisp as the JP I tried.

Even if you get the Original you are still going to want anti walk pins. If you call JP they are going to try and sell you an easy kit (that was my experience any way). If you have some skills and the tools I am sure you can do it yourself (lots of good videos from JP on the topic). I know they give a discount on parts if you mess up.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

I have the ez and love it. However, everything I have read, people who have both say the original, installed by JP is markedly better. When I go for another JP trigger I'm going to go for the original, send the lower to them and let them put it in.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

I have had both a JP installed trigger and one I did myself. I'm glad I did the first one myself because I learned a lot about how it all works but the one that JP did is better. Their lower - their trigger.

If you want a good trigger then I say give it a go. The JP Original will give you what you want but if you want a great trigger, let a gunsmith who does these over and over put it in for you.

My new CTR-02 lower came with an easy trigger installed by JP and it's great. I've installed the originals in a couple lowers and could never get them as nice as JP's installed. I just put a ez-kit in a Stag lower and it's as good as the JP installed one. The ez kit is the way to go. I'm replacing the factory installed original type JP trigger in my DPMS LR-308 with a ez kit. The DPMS install left a lot to be desired, as it has a lot of creep and a less than crisp break. The ez kit takes a lot of the installation variables out of the process and really work.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the orginal because if you put in the time of fitting the disconnector you end up with a trigger that has no take, breaks clean, and has very short reset. True you can go lighter with the Giessele, or the RRA Varmint. I just put both in and they gave pulls around 2.5#, JP stays in the 3 to 3.25# range. If you do what I call driving the shot, which means driving the reticle to center of the target and breaking the shot just before you get centered, the JP works better because of the no take up. It just breaks now!

I just got done install an old JP trigger I had sitting on the shelf for the last ten years (waiting for a 3 gun build). After using drop in of other brands I can honestly say that I much prefer the original JP. Took some time to install but JP's videos are good and make the installation a snap.

The EZ trigger saves some of the fitting time plus eliminated the potential for disconnector fitting error, but for some reasons, the feel of the original JP trigger after a good fitting job just can't be beat.

BTW, the best trigger to date is still the JP Modular Trigger (maybe 2003-2004 production?) ! Mine has approx 5k rounds down range and it is still sweet as day one.

The original is not beyond the average Joe but it's not without some "issues" either. You really have to read the instructions and watch the videos several times and have the right punches on hand. It's really fussy work. It also really helps to have a vice and a lower receiver vice block as well.

I installed the JP Original trigger myself just this week. I had never done anything like that (trigger fitting) but it was easy. I did have all the proper tools so I am sure that helps out. Trigger feels great, probably in the 3-3.5lbs range. I havent felt an EZ Trigger so I cant comment. The way I see it is, if I can do it having never worked on an AR trigger before, then anyone can lol

Like already said, watch the videos several times. You need to be familiar with the relationship between the parts and the adjustments in order to really do a good job and have a safe trigger.

The EZ kit is a great trigger kit.... you will like it and it is really easy to install.... short of having a qualified and experienced person do a very refined trigger install.... you will probably have one of the best triggers you can install....chances are, you would not notice the difference between the EZ kit and the original (properly installed) when doing any real shooting drills.