Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting Load for 147gr Zero FMJ

hlpressley

Looking for a good soft shooting load for my M&P Pro 5" 9mm. I have recently purchased a new Dillon 550B and have been loading 3.9gr of Win 231 under a Zero 147gr FMJ. This load shoots great but I really think I could soften the shot a little.

Advice and or suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Edited by hlpressley

Maybe I should rephrase what I am looking for a bit better. I am just looking for a decent starting load for competitive shooting so the main concern after normal accuracy would be to reduce the recovery time and muzzle flip. With that said I am open to any load using any powder, primer, or bullet. This is all new to me so I am not "married" to any certain brand etc.

Thanks again for the help.

I use VV N320 and Tite group with Xtreme 147 plated bullets. I prefer the VV N320 it is noticeably softer and has less of a pop than tite group.The tite group is a little dirtier but not any worse than the Federal and WWB is used to shoot.

The VV does cost more but to me it's worth it.

3.4 grains WSF works very well for me with 147 bullets, although your 231 load isn't that far off from the recoil aspect. I have played with 3.5 231, but you're not talking a big difference in recoil.

• 1 month later...

I use VV N320 and Tite group with Xtreme 147 plated bullets. I prefer the VV N320 it is noticeably softer and has less of a pop than tite group.The tite group is a little dirtier but not any worse than the Federal and WWB is used to shoot.

The VV does cost more but to me it's worth it.

Lowleft,

How many grains are you using and OAL??

I am using 3.4 vvn320 and 3.2 tite group. My OAL is 1.55 + - .003. Out of a glock 34 the n320 chronos at low of around 900 fps and a high of around 950 which keeps me safely above the pf. If I go down just .1 grain my lowest gets down around 860 fps. Which is a little too close for me and I can't tell much difference in the recoil.