Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting back into USPSA - Sp-01 vs Shadow vs Custom ?

tortuga

Hiya Guys; looking to start 2013 with a return to USPSA after a long layoff. 20 years ago I was shooting EAA pistols, basically gold/silver team configurations. I have always had a CZ75 clone or two but want to go factory CZ and compete in production for the first year.

Back in the day I was a B class shooter. OK fast on the trigger and target to target transitions from the same box, issue was slow reloads, draw and changes from box to box. I am 6'4" and tend to lumber around. Always did better on stage with small target out far rather than big up close. I also shot NRA hunter pistol and tend to be more of a precision shooter than spray and pray.

So - after a lot of research I am committing to a SP-01 platform in stock, shadow or custom form. I am trying to figure out bang-for-the-buck between them. If I have it right, the SP-01 is a good service pistol. Shadow has some cool stuff like the FO sight, comp rear, better trigger system and spring rates. Custom is the sh&*(t. Custom Target is Custom + adjustable rear from what I can tell.

I don't want to spend money on a feature that would only matter to Masters, but don't want to miss out on a good package deal and end up paying more down the road for something I should have done up front.

Forgot to mention I am in California. SP-01s are like unicorns; you hear about them but can't find one. CZ Custom guns are non-existent, and have to go through the SSE process as they are not on the approved roster.

Also have to gear up for belt, holster, mags, etc. so that's why I'm posting this. Your feedback welcome.

Edited by tortuga

I may be biased but I'd go with a Shadow from CZC then have Stuart do his thing with it. I did this for my first CZ and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. It's worth every penny and Stuart made it quick and easy.

Edited by DRobson

Remember, you don't have to pick a 'package', you can just start with a shadow and have czcustom make the mods you want. Forget about the base sp01. the upgrades you would want to make it competitive would end up costing more than the shadow and it would still have the firing-pin-block.

I've have two SP01's that Matt Mink did the work on and they are fantastic. Every person that feels the DA trigger can not believe how smooth and easy the pull is. The SA is like a dream. Any way you go, you'll come out fine. My backup SPO1 I got for $475 and spent $385 on the competition hammer, sights, and trigger job. It was well worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

go with any of the custom shadow angus offer. they worth each extra dollard . i love mine,did the trigger and swaped some springs only.

if you go production then the custom model is for you ; however, you could get a stock unit and gets the trigger done only, but angus 's guns are so finely tuned...not talking about the fact that angus and rob stands behind their work. great customer service.