Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon on Ebay

KentG

This is my feelings exactly, and yet I have a few friends who never fail to find things for incredible bargains on eBay. It never ceases to amaze me that they can always find a bargain, but they do. Whatever, I often wonder if they are just flat out lying or hallucinting, cause I just get pi$$ed off on that thing.

In the last 10 years I have bought over 600 items for the shop on Ebay. Most were pennies on the dollar. That's the only way I can afford to do it. There are lots of items I'd like to get but the price is too high. So I cherry pick and only get the one here and there that no one was watching or was interested in that time around. You have to be able to let a lot of things go on by, and only bid on the ones that are way less than they are really worth. It's a numbers game. With tens of thousands of things going continuously a few are bound to fall through the cracks. Those are the ones I get.

Edited by Toolguy

In the last 10 years I have bought over 600 items for the shop on Ebay. Most were pennies on the dollar. That's the only way I can afford to do it. There are lots of items I'd like to get but the price is too high. So I cherry pick and only get the one here and there that no one was watching or was interested in that time around. You have to be able to let a lot of things go on by, and only bid on the ones that are way less than they are really worth. It's a numbers game. With tens of thousands of things going continuously a few are bound to fall therough the cracks. Those are the ones I get.

And your luck gambling?

This is my feelings exactly, and yet I have a few friends who never fail to find things for incredible bargains on eBay. It never ceases to amaze me that they can always find a bargain, but they do. Whatever, I often wonder if they are just flat out lying or hallucinting, cause I just get pi$$ed off on that thing.

Or, perhaps they're just more patient? Because really, it takes patience, diligence in searching daily or every other day, and discipline in only bidding what you're willing to actually pay. I succeed in buying stuff on e-bay because I'll track desired items for days, sometimes weeks. If the price shoots past what I'm willing to pay, I delete the item from my watch list. If it doesn't I make my best offer (what I'm realistically willing to pay) in the last three seconds of the auction.

For example if an item I want has been bid up to $41, but I'm willing to spend $125 to acquire that item, I'll place my bid of $125 in the last three seconds --- often that will drive the price way up, to say $86, because others had bid that as their max. Still an OK deal for me. Occasionally I wind up paying much closer to my max bid, sometimes my max bid isn't enough, and the item sells to someone else for stupid money. Sometime I get the item for a dollar or two more than the $41 it had been up to....

And yes, I consider shipping charges in deciding what I'm comfortable paying...

I agree. I think people get caught up in the bidding frenzy and lose sight of the retail price on things.

I have a friend that bought a used tumbler for about 1 1/2 times msrp. He knew it too, but didn't want to swallow his pride and let someone beat him in a auction.

Edited by bigfish

I agree. I think people get caught up in the bidding frenzy and lose sight of the retail price on things.

I have a friend that bought a used tumbler for about 1 1/2 times msrp. He knew it too, but didn't want to swallow his pride and let someone beat him in a auction.

As an occasional seller, I love those people.....

Nowadays a lot of people are using a sniping service (Google eBay sniper) to win auctions. It's virtually impossible for a common man to beat the sniper. Certain items, like iPhones the day they come out, get bid up by people overseas that can't get them. This may be the case for Dillon products. I've considered selling some Dillon stuff on eBay but it just kills me to pay them their exorbitant fees. BUT, if I can get well over retail for a new powder measure..... :devil:

I may have to move this to what I like. Small victory for me. Scored a 650 toolhead and stand for $33.99 delivered. It is used and the stand is one of the older wooden ones but I just need it for a 223 sizeing die and 1200 trimmer. Of course now someone will link me to a better deal.