Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Everything you need for 3 Gun - What's on your list?

Trying to get into 3-Gun. Taking the slow route. (Meaning I get to buy things as the wife lets me.) All I have so far is a handgun and a rifle. I know which shotty I want but I feel like there's SO much more to get. You COULD get airsoft guns to practice, .22lr conversions tp save ammo costs, Spotting Scopes, Chronographs, Speed Belts/Holster systems, Extra Magazines, Ways to tote around all your stuff, Tools for gunsmithing, Books, DVDs, Gun club memberships, steel targets, extra parts for guns etc.

So, what's on your list? I don't care if your essentials list, or your dream list. Basically I just need to know what to get. If it's prioritized, even better. I thought this would be a fun way to share how people prepare for matches. Heck some people even use strollers to lug their stuff around.

Someone needs to make a check list. I'll be googling that as soon as I press send...

So, what's on YOUR list?

If you are reloading for your rifle and pistol and don't have a chrono I would highly recommend getting one for load development/checking loads. Personally, I consider it to be as necessary as a powder scale, so I would put that down as a high priority item.

AKAI Open Gun in 9 major = $5000 JP-CTRC with Optic = $5000 FireBird AKDAL Custom = $2000, then mags ammo and accessories $20,000. Divorce and Second Mortgage?

Ok now I got your attention it depends on what division you are shooting. But I do have to admit its a lot of fun, and you can get your feet wet for less, just prudent selection.

I'm in the same boat. After a month of looking I just found a Mossberg JM Pro it will be here today. I looked at all the shotguns but shooting on a budget that was the best choice for me. With the extra money I saved I ordered a Nordic XL cap, Briley extended LM choke and a Chameleon Load two Belt and I'm going to send the lifter to C-Rums.

The rest of my needs are pistol and rifle related. I want a new trigger for my AR. I am going to send my XDM 5.25 out for a trigger job, new front sight. After this is done I'm going to get some kind of belt system probably the ELS set-up. Right now I'm ok with running with the XDM gear and sticking AR mags in my back pocket. Hell last match I shot my buddy's shotgun and reloaded shells out of my front pockets.

There are other things I want but after shooting and practicing this year I felt the changes to the rifle and pistol could help me the most. Now that I finally have all 3 guns I plan on getting out and shooting more matches. That way I can see what other equipment people are running and see what would be best for me.

Swedge, I envy you. I'm not that...I don't know the word. Brave? I feel like I have to have all my ducks in a row before I sign up for a match. (Which I know is the wrong approach, I shouuld just be going out to have fun at my skill level.) I just like that feeling of knowing I'm set. I just don't really know what "set" is. (Hence the thread.) I never would have ever thought to bring extra gun parts. Makes me wonder what else I haven't thought of...

My advice to to get just enough gear to start shooting, then decide what you really need. I had all my guns and reloading equipment when i started. I bought a Wildermness pistol belt, Blade Tech holster and mag pouches, some Choate 6 round shell holders, and an extra rifle mag in my back pocket. . I put the shell carriers on a seperate belt so I could take them off when not needed.

I added a cart because carring everything from stage to stage sucked, and an Otto vest cause I can load two faster than loading four weakhand or stronghand.

3 guns that run a holster for your pistol someway to hold your shot shells use a load 2 vest here. Rifle mag pouches are nice but not really needed. I use a mag big enough for the stage and just chuck a spare in the back pocket. Shooters are usually more than willing to let you try out different gear and see how ya like it. A race holster isn't really needed or desired in 3 gun. If the safari land ALS is available for your gun I would recommend that. If not a blade tech retention is key for 3 gun

Edited by EkuJustice

Greg dont get me wrong I was very nervous and felt very out of place. I quickly found out that this sport is full of good people very willing to help you out. I had several people in my squad offer their shell caddie's etc etc. I had avoided several matches because I felt I wasn't ready and didn't have the right equipment but after shooting that first one I wish I had started sooner. The best advice I can give is get out there and shoot a match. You will find thats the only way to see the equipment in action. You will find a great group of people willing to help you out. Its the only way to really find out what you need plus its a rush you won't forget. The first time that shot timer went off was awesome!

Greg dont get me wrong I was very nervous and felt very out of place. I quickly found out that this sport is full of good people very willing to help you out. I had several people in my squad offer their shell caddie's etc etc. I had avoided several matches because I felt I wasn't ready and didn't have the right equipment but after shooting that first one I wish I had started sooner. The best advice I can give is get out there and shoot a match. You will find thats the only way to see the equipment in action. You will find a great group of people willing to help you out. Its the only way to really find out what you need plus its a rush you won't forget. The first time that shot timer went off was awesome!

Had the same experience at my 1st 2 gun match. (didn't have my rifle yet) I went and didn't really have a way to reload other than side saddles. One guy leant me a forearm bandoleer, and another leant me 2 shell caddies. I have since purchased my own gear, and now I carry extras in case anyone needs something, or a friend decides to come with and shoot.

One thing that was nice was being able to try the gear before I bought it. Was able to try the 4 shell, and 6 shell caddies, and a guy let me use his load 2 belt for a couple of stages. I ended up with the 6 shell caddies. With the way the matches are set up at my club, the 6 shell caddies just worked out better for me.

1st time I shot USPSA pistol I was the same way, I had spare mags in my pockets.

Edited by Tuflehundon

Swedge, I envy you. I'm not that...I don't know the word. Brave? I feel like I have to have all my ducks in a row before I sign up for a match. (Which I know is the wrong approach, I shouuld just be going out to have fun at my skill level.) I just like that feeling of knowing I'm set. I just don't really know what "set" is. (Hence the thread.) I never would have ever thought to bring extra gun parts. Makes me wonder what else I haven't thought of...

Greg, I don't think that you will ever really be "set". The Multigun bug bit me in 2011 and I can't get enough of it. Since then, there have been so many new products that have come onto the scene and there are always news things that i would like to try. The end of the day, unless money is no object you need to start off with what you can afford. Try and get to as many local matches as you can to meet people and see what they are using depending on what division you are shooting. The multigun shooters that i have met have been so friendly and helpful and have been wiling to part with knowledge and gear to help.

When i shot my first match i had the basics:

3 guns that were stock and ran realibly, 3gun bag and range bag, spare mags, shotgun caddies, mag pouch for pistol and holster. Belt and inner and a pair of old shooting glasses and hearing protection. Hope this helps

Best advice, find the local 3 Gun match and go check it out. Then, find the closest major 3Gun match and volunteer to RO. You will learn more working a major than shooting several locals.

I shudder realizing what I shot at my first 3Gun match (G22, 870 pump, Marlin Camp 9), but I did not waste a lot of time and money getting set-up prior to learning. Also, the game is very different today than it was 5 or 10 years ago.

SIgn up for the Noveske Match. If you tell your squad you are new, they will help you. You will suck-be slow at your first three gun match. But it will be fun. This is a quote from Pat Kelley, who guided me through my first three gun match, " First you will shoot everything consciously aware, then you will shoot everything unconsciously aware, then you will shoot unconsciously". He and Denise Johnson helped me plan every stage and I was hyper aware to put safeties on, follow the instructions, and get into position before shooting. As Mark said, you just kind of have to do it. When you start practicing a lot you will buy cases of slugs, cases of ammo, and realize why so many people use Benelli's. I started with a stock M4 with an ACOG, a Remington 1100 Tac 4, and a Glock 34. The first time I started shooting unconsciously it was amazing, putting just one shot each on 5 yd targets on a rifle run. I didn't realize it until I was done, but I knew they were all alphas. Often, physical limitations are a bigger impediment than gear. But Ive shot with James Gill, a Marine who has one eye and one leg and he is awesomely fast. Practice is the key. Get a range however you can. Gas guns shoot great, they just get dirty as hell and really take a lot of time to clean when you running a thousand rounds through them in practice. You need some shell carriers-like 3 Choate 6's or 4 4 shell carriers, 2 or three pistol mags, and a rifle mag carrier helps a lot, but back pocket is ok, too. DVC

+1 what Mark said. You will learn more at your first local match than reading every entry in this forum. Then when you get to a big match, you will learn that much again. Especially if you work it and get to see things like stage designs, learn how to RO and then get to see 300 major competitors role though. It's good to be prepared for your first match with a basic set up, but were you to follow anyone's list, you will end up buying stuff 2 or 3 times. Everyone's list is different and will be different from yours.

As a minimum to get started at a local match level you should probably have:

All 3 guns

Pistol holster

Plastic double mag pouch (I still use my old, cheap, uncle mike's)

Rifle mag pouch

3 Calicomp or Mark Otto shell caddies (or enough Carbon Arms pin wheels for 12 shells if you prefer load 2... I have and use both)

3 Hi-cap mags for your pistol

3 rifle mags

Sturdy belt (CR speed or similar would be cheap and make things easy)

Beyond that, my list won't be the same as your list, or the same as Mark's list, or the same a Garcia's or anyone elses list.

I just put everything together to get a start, other than a magnified optic.

I built an AR for about $800. $250 Gieselle trigger, MK12 barrel, everything else pretty standard with a rifle length FF tube and JP adj. gas block. MOA to 200 so far. I caught a ridiculous deal on the Bushnell TRS-25 dot, $45, and it works beautifully, though I'm putting an EoTech on to look cool.

Shotgun I bought a 930 before the JMs were out, Nordic +6 extension, clamp, and bolt handle. I had my brother weld a slug of metal onto the lifter then dremeled it down and dremeled open the port. Cheap HiViz fiber sights on the rib so I can have a good picture for slugs.

Pistol I'm using my Limited G35, already had the full setup.

On the belt it's two FSL 8s, one 4x4, one AR pouch, holster, and double mag pouch for pistol.

Mag wise I bought two Nordic extensions, 46 rounds and so far completely reliable, plus a box of PMAGs.

So that's $800 and $550 and $300 on the belt, then $100 in mags. Not too bad. I haven't been able to blame my equipment yet.

Starting to shoot matches is far more important in the grand scheme of things over having all your gear/ideal setup. Just like the old adage "It's the Indian, not the arrow" thing. Getting a few matches under your belt will be more valuable in the sense of knowing what you really need vs, what you think you want. Plus, getting over the hurdle of learning to shoot "On the clock". It's one thing to go to the range or up in the hills and rattle off a few hundred rounds. all that goes out the window as soon as the timer goes off.

I see you are down in Wilsonville. There are 3 local monthly matches within 45 minutes of you. Go shoot one.

2nd Sunday of the month is down at Albany Rifle and Pistol club off exit 228. 3rd Saturday is at Tri County Gun Club in Sherwood. 4th Sunday is at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club in Boring. (Douglas Ridge is the best for shooters new to the sport). I try to make it to all three each month and am more than happy to shoot with you and help you out. Just message me here.

The next Douglas Ridge match is Sunday the 30th 9 AM. I will be there. I hear-by invite you to this match, offer to pay your $10 fee and let you use all my gear. All you have to do is show up and bring some ammo.

:cheers: For Beers78n9. If you decide to shoot the Noveske match in April, let me know and your meal tickets will be on the house.

Thanks for the offer Mark. but unfortunately I will not be able to shoot the Noveske match this year. I am still fairly new to the sport (2 years). I don't feel my skill level is where it should be to start traveling too far. I am going to stick to WA, OR and ID for matches (NWMGC, Iron Man, Ephrata, Tri Cities and Area 1) and dedicating 2013 to practice with the goal of adding traveling to CO, NM and AZ in 2014. But thanks again for the offer. It's greatly appreciated.

Edited by Beers78n9

The most important piece of gear is a gun that runs reliabily. If the gun doesnt run, you wont be having fun.

The next most important is ammo that runs in your gun. Dont try "new" ammo the day of the match; you're bound to have problems.

You tend to figure out the rest of the gear as you shoot more matches.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to a local match and run what you currently have. You will get to see what a lot of others run and

Make choices after you see what does and doesn't work for you

Pretty good suggestion here. I found most shooters to be very helpful to a newbie.

Jim

Starting to shoot matches is far more important in the grand scheme of things over having all your gear/ideal setup. Just like the old adage "It's the Indian, not the arrow" thing. Getting a few matches under your belt will be more valuable in the sense of knowing what you really need vs, what you think you want. Plus, getting over the hurdle of learning to shoot "On the clock". It's one thing to go to the range or up in the hills and rattle off a few hundred rounds. all that goes out the window as soon as the timer goes off.

I see you are down in Wilsonville. There are 3 local monthly matches within 45 minutes of you. Go shoot one.

2nd Sunday of the month is down at Albany Rifle and Pistol club off exit 228. 3rd Saturday is at Tri County Gun Club in Sherwood. 4th Sunday is at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club in Boring. (Douglas Ridge is the best for shooters new to the sport). I try to make it to all three each month and am more than happy to shoot with you and help you out. Just message me here.

The next Douglas Ridge match is Sunday the 30th 9 AM. I will be there. I hear-by invite you to this match, offer to pay your $10 fee and let you use all my gear. All you have to do is show up and bring some ammo.

Wow Beers, super generous of you. I can't this month, but next month sounds like a possibility! You certainly don't need to pay for anything, but I will take all the pointers and tips you have. I love how friendly and helpful people are in this sport, and you sir, have moved near the top of the list! I will PM you in January and see where we are at. Thanks again man!

G