Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian hi cap build?..

trp

Well lets start by saying I love the 1911 platform I also own a edge which I like but the balance just feels weird with the plastic grips, so I'm thinking of getting a caspian built.

What are some of the advantages or disadvantages of each?

I haven't heard of the sti grips cracking but it worries me, should it?

I'm thinking I would go with rich from canyon creek for the work either the caspian or upgrading the edge, any idea on the cost for the caspian?

Just stick with the edge or sell it to help fund the caspian?

5" or 6" caspian ?

Just some advise from guys who have more experience then me would be great!

Thanks

I have a Caspian hi cap gun. Once I got my mags tuned, it runs great. If I had it to do over again, I would go with an S_I frame and a steel SV grip. (I'm actually having that built this winter.) There's nothing really wrong with the Caspian, but you've got a lot more options for parts for an S_I.

The problem is the full dust cover on the Edge. To offset that weight you need a heavier magwell. This will help with the balance. Also look at reducing the weight of the guide rod with an Aluminium one. The easiest way to balance out the Edge is to have the slide ported. Can also get the SV metal grips (expensive). If it was my gun I'd work on it to get it to balance the way I would like it. Your basically spending alot of money on a new gun to fix a balance problem on a gun you already own. IMHO I would spend some money to balance the Edge.

Any ideas on the weight of the caspian?

My 6" caspian with bushing barrel, and lightened slide is about 50oz

I agree about the balance of the sti's, they feel muzzle heavy to me also

The pluses of the caspian frame is the gun feels balanced in the hand, cost of the mags and frame, and the added weight makes the recoil feel softer than the sti's.

A few guys I know try to add heavy magwells or steel grips to to their sti's to improve the balance of their guns, to make them feel more like a caspian

The cons are, very limited aftermarket parts, egw and Dawson are about it, and you'll give up a couple of rounds of capacity compared to the sti's.

What I would do is contact the gunsmith of your choice, ask how much for a caspian build, also ask how much it would cost to modify your edge to balance better.

Next figure out how much you could sell your edge for

Then try to find someone with a sti eagle and see how that feels compared to your edge

Then do the math

Which ever option makes the most sense is the way to go

With the Caspian HC frame the parts that have to be used are the main spring housing, grip safety, and the mag catch. The grip safety can be blended to match just about any of the high hold safeties. The trigger shoe can be switched out, I like to use the SV ITS system. Any of the popular thumb safeties available can be fitted to the frame, the extra wide SV fits perfectly onto a modified frame.

The myth that you are limited on aftermarket parts available is just that a myth. With the right smith anything is possible.

Rich

“^^^^

Good info about Caspians direct from one of the “right smiths”.

Personally, I would recommend that you explore all of your options including re-working your existing gun or adding a steel grip. The Edge is a good gun and a lot of people shoot them well.

However, if you decide to go Caspian, here is my take on them – First off, I like the Caspian platform enough to build a new open gun on it (should be done very soon). The feel of the Caspian frame and the way they shoot works for me, and the extra weight of the empty gun is somewhat moot since the added weight is in the grip area and a loaded mag weighs near a pound in the gun’s grip anyway. What is more important to me is the balance point and feel of the gun. The Caspian parts that come with the frame are pretty good (the new Trik Trigger shape is cool). The only part I didn’t like was the ambi safety because they are so skinny so for my build we took the route of welding up the left side paddle to make it wider (different ways to skin that cat). EGW and Dawson both make good mag wells, and there are a variety of options for the grips – skate tape, wood (Caspian/hogue), G-10 (monkeygrip special order), aluminum (alumagrip).

The mag situation is a little more fuzzy and not as well documented as with the modular guns, but getting reliable mags is not a real problem and they are reasonably

priced. Here is my take on this:

For 140mm mags - The new Caspian 140mm mags with the sweet “Cape inspired base pads” are good and can be tuned to be reliable and by using the Grams follower/spring add a couple rounds to the advertised capacity. The old style Caspian 140mm mags (which are still available) have always been reliable, but don’t hold as many rounds. Th MecGar Tanfoglio/EAA Witness large frame mags can be easily modified (part numbers: MGWIT38LF, MGWIT9LF, MGWIT40LF). Add a new Caspian Base pad or Henning’s H-141 base pad, Grams follower/spring, and with a little basic tuning have a good reliable mag for your Caspian. BTW - I got one of the new Henning H-141 screw-less base pads to try and it is a nice base pad that works on the Caspian or MecGars and it comes profiled to clear the EGW magwell.

For 170mm mags - Recently Caspian started selling 170mm mags based on their “new style” mags with the “Cape inspired” base pad for the open division guys. These are nicely welded mags and they come with Grams spring/follower already installed. I got two of these just before the Area 2 Desert Classic and did the standard tuning I do for a Caspian mag then used them at a local match last weekend and they ran 100%, and that was the first time I ever live fired these mags. Jim Anglin of Sailors Custom Pistols makes very nice 170mm mags with the Dawson base pads that work 100%. I’m not positive but I believe RIID (Rich at Canyon Creek Custom) makes mags. I know there are some others out there who do 170 mm Caspian mags but I am not familiar with them.

:cheers:

With the Caspian HC frame the parts that have to be used are the main spring housing, grip safety, and the mag catch. The grip safety can be blended to match just about any of the high hold safeties. The trigger shoe can be switched out, I like to use the SV ITS system. Any of the popular thumb safeties available can be fitted to the frame, the extra wide SV fits perfectly onto a modified frame.

The myth that you are limited on aftermarket parts available is just that a myth. With the right smith anything is possible.

Rich

Rich ill be calling you tomorrow

My experience with mags is different (or possibly were talking different calibers.) In the .40 mags, my gun would not run reliably until I sent them off to be tuned by Jim Anglin. A search of the forums will show many other Caspian / Tanfo owners who struggle to get their .40 mags to run.

I shoot with some one who shoots one of Rich's caspian s and I love it and it runs fine I'm not worried about that.

I guess I'll be selling the edge shortly to help fund this build, I like a heavy gun and don't care for plastic but that's me.

Thanks for all the help guys some really great info!

On the Mags, Caspian now sends out a informational sheet that tells you how to make the new 40's run with 20 or 21 rounds depending on the follower. I have mine set up with the Grams spring and follower, I get a reliable 21 in all of my mags. One problem is, at least that I have is. The Mags get a bulge right where the mag tappers up into the feed lips. This seems to start happening after a year or so of use. I think the same problem happens with the 38 super mags.

I would be interested to know if anyone else is having this problem.

P-Zak - I run a .38 super and don't have any experience with the .40 mags, but repeating what I have read here several people have posted that they get 20 (some posted 21) with a grams kit installed.

Koppi - I haven't experienced any bulging with the new (or the old style) .38 super mags at all and they seem to be really robust...more so than the old style. The .40 and .38 mags use a different indentation/funneling pattern pattern which might explain why I haven't seen it. Also, although I can get 23 reloadable .38stupers in the 140mm mags I usually run 22 unless the stage calls for it and then I stick the 23rd round in a few minutes before I shoot so I am not stressing the mag or spring more than needed.

When I make a 140mm .40 mag I use Henning's base pads with Gram's spring and follower, it's easier to use the Caspian tubes but the Tanfoglio tubes can be modified. With properly sized ammo 21 rounds isn't a problem, factory ammo and cases that have been run through a U-die/case pro will stack without taking up extra space in the tube. If your using standard resizing die it may not eliminate all of the case bulges that take up more space. The reason I use Henning's base pad is it is smaller in size compared to the Caspian base pad(too bulky) and Henning's pad has more inside volume. The back portion of the feed lips may need to be filed down slightly to fit into the gauge.

I made a mag(weld up) for the Nationals one year to run minor 9x23, the mag would easily hold 23 rounds that is reloadable. That year there was 4 stages with a 23 round count, I did my part and didn't have to do a reload on any of them. The 9x23 has a larger base compared to a 38 super so it should be easier to get 23 supers in a 140 mag.

Rich

• 8 months later...

If anyone can make a Caspian work, it would be Rich. Top quality work !! The thing about Caspian is that the crew at Caspian is tough to beat, Gary and the gang has been in the industry for many , many years (Sorry Gary) and you wont find better shooter support. Back to the topic. I agree that the steel gun is the way to go. I have done thousands of STI grips and they can be coutoured to fit your hand very well, but the weight is needed. Simple physics, the heavier gun is softer. Glenn and Brian have a new steel grip that is coming out very soon that will help with the weight on the STI guns and SV make a killer steel grip. I have built the Caspian myself as well as the steel SV grip on a STI gun.

The weight is the way to go.

Tommy Roupe