Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock Minor?

dhunt91

Okay I'm new to the whole open thing but was wanting to turn my limited g17 into an open gun.

Problem is I can not reload at the moment I'm still in college and don have the cash to drop on all the reloading gear plus the pistol parts as well.

Any suggestions? Will this even work for USPSA?

Also a parts list maybe? Iv done a bit of research on building an open g17 and am debating a slide mounted optic or one that kinda hovers? (Not sure the correct term for that)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

-Dakota

I started shooting a Carver G17 in Feb, and until August I was strictly running factory ammo because I didn't reload either.

With regards to parts, how is your gun currently set up? It's give us all a better idea of what to recommend.

With regards to sight choices, that depends on what you like. Do you want it slide mounted, or do you prefer a bigger C-More sight?

When doing something like this, you'll want to run strictly CMJ'S/TMJ's or JHP's as she exposed lead base of a FMJ will leave lead deposits in your comp, thus clogging it up.

Well I've got a basic limited setup right now

Magwell and mag exstension and a new trigger other than that nothing else I was going to order and extended mag release and new guide rod spring but I was going to wait to see which one would be best

I don't want something anything in the dovetail right now as I'd like to leave the original sights on so I could take the comp and optic off for 3 gun tac optics

Which limits the mounting options I'm guessing

I'd prefer a c more sight but don't really want to have to modify the slide if it can be helped

Parts list so far to buy

Lone Wolf Barrel

http://www.lonewolfd...ROD=928&CAT=237

SJC Comp in matching threads

http://stores.sjcgun...or-5/Detail.bok

C More Slide Ride Grey In a 4 or 6 MOA Dot

http://cmore.com/sto...rodshow&ref=CSR

note sure on the mount yet

Charging Handle. Kinda want a stainless one on the looks :) anyone know where I can find one?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mako-Group-FCH-Charging/dp/B00266ADOE

Edited by dhunt91

If you are really going to run minor, why not just go with the stock barrel and skip the comp. The red dot and the magazine capacity are what really makes the division. Getting major 9/38 ammo to be tame at Major power factor...yeah, a comp is nice for that. But, you will be shooting mouse-fart minor loads...maybe save some money. and buy ammo with it.

Thanks for the suggestion Flex and I have thought about it it would save me a bit of cash and would be something I could eaisly add to later once I get my reloading setup.

Ill probably do this to be honest as it would let me get a big stick and a holster to accomidate it.

Parts list so far to buy

Lone Wolf Barrel

http://www.lonewolfd...ROD=928&CAT=237

SJC Comp in matching threads

http://stores.sjcgun...or-5/Detail.bok

C More Slide Ride Grey In a 4 or 6 MOA Dot

http://cmore.com/sto...rodshow&ref=CSR

note sure on the mount yet

Charging Handle. Kinda want a stainless one on the looks :) anyone know where I can find one?

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/B00266ADOE

Just use a dovetail mount till you figure out what dot you wanna run. I use a RMR on my G34 that I carry and it's milled in. I don't wanna run another one for a comp gun due to take it off and on to change the battery. Just a point I don't like about the RMR. Then when you get it milled for the sight you perfer you can get a slot milled for a racker.........at least that's my long term plan.

• 1 month later...

Observation:

I have an Open Glock on G17 frame, Carver Comp on a Lone Wolf threaded barrel, SJC sideways mount, C-More w/ 6 minute dot. Guns runs 100%, I am using Berry's 124grn FMJ's.

I have been playing around with different loads, what I have discovered is that at USPSA Major Power Factor velocities, the accuracy goes away. The group opens up substantially, but if I back it down some, say to a maximum 140 PF, the accuracy comes back. My guess is it's the twist in the barrel. Have been using Auto-Comp to achieve the Major PF.

At lower velocities, different powders and charges do not seem to effect accuracy, it's all tight.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Open guns?

Observation:

I have an Open Glock on G17 frame, Carver Comp on a Lone Wolf threaded barrel, SJC sideways mount, C-More w/ 6 minute dot. Guns runs 100%, I am using Berry's 124grn FMJ's.

I have been playing around with different loads, what I have discovered is that at USPSA Major Power Factor velocities, the accuracy goes away. The group opens up substantially, but if I back it down some, say to a maximum 140 PF, the accuracy comes back. My guess is it's the twist in the barrel. Have been using Auto-Comp to achieve the Major PF.

At lower velocities, different powders and charges do not seem to effect accuracy, it's all tight.

It maybe velocity issues with the plated bullets.

Observation:

It maybe velocity issues with the plated bullets.

+1

Are the FMJ's that you are using the hollow base thick plated ones or the regular ones. Only the HBTP ones are ok to use at major speeds. And as a side note the HBTPs profile is great to use with a shallow throated barrel. I can load much longer without getting into the rifling with them.

I have used both, but mainly the hollow base, currently, I am using their standard FMJ since I have had to resolve myself to the fact that MINOR P/F is where I'll be. I am considering trying some 115 grn bullets to see what they do.

I am comfortable shooting MINOR P/F, I just wanted to take advantage of the compensator. Yesterday I tried 5.0 grns of Auto Comp and it worked good, the accuracy was excellent and it seemed to be fairly flat as far as the muzzle rise. I didn't chrono it, but all indications were that it was hotter than my certified MINOR P/F loads.

Can you make a Glock shoot as flat as a 1911 style Open gun? One of my shooting buddies has a 1911 open gun and it just sits there at Major P/F.

I have heard that a Glock can't be made to shoot that flat.

All my experience is with a XDm open gun but ill just about guarantee that there is no way to get the plastic guns to shoot as flat as a checkmate or 2011. My minor load is a standard berrys 115 over 5.7 grains of autocomp, it seems to shoot well for me with enough gas to get the comp to start to work. I have noticed that staying flat isn't the end all be all of open though, my gun is much more violent feeling with major loads but my splits are faster. What feels the most comfortable and best likely isn't once the timer comes out.