Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

suppressor advice

gator11

Been thinking about getting a suppressor for my Ruger 22/24 but have no idea of what to look for in one. I have all the correct paperwork to purchase one so I need some advice. Really just want something that is easy to clean, durable and of course quiet. Any first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all the help.

For the money the Silencerco Warlock II is hard to beat...Just like everthing everyone will have a different opinion....for the .22 LR this one is easy to clean and has good noise reduction....there are some quiter ones out there but the cost also doubles...

Edited by DrawandDuck

Been thinking about getting a suppressor for my Ruger 22/24 but have no idea of what to look for in one. ... Really just want something that is easy to clean, durable and of course quiet.

I have several silencers. You are smart to go for a servicable model in .22 LR, b/c the rimfire cans do gunk up if you shoot them much. The top models are, in no particular order, AAC Element, SWR Spectre, Liberty Essence or Kodiak, & Silencerco Sparrow. K-baffles stink to clean by hand and I'm not sure what SWR's omega baffles are like to clean by hand, If it was me, I'd be looking at Silencerco or Liberty because they have monolithic baffle stacks and are easier to clean.
I have all the correct paperwork to purchase one so I need some advice.
I don't know what this means. You don't need any paper work to purchase one, you need an approved form 4 to take possession, and that doesn't start until you purchase the can AND send in the form 4 and fee.

Perhaps that's the form I have? My local dealer gave it to me, basic personal info and picture. Signed by off by local law enforcement. I need to decide which to purchase and turn over paperwork. The dealer only stock's YHM Mite model's for .22lr. Have not heard much in the way of good experiences with that particular model. Have read some good reviews about the Sparrow but want some feedback before I make any purchase.

Perhaps that's the form I have? My local dealer gave it to me, basic personal info and picture. Signed by off by local law enforcement. I need to decide which to purchase and turn over paperwork. The dealer only stock's YHM Mite model's for .22lr. Have not heard much in the way of good experiences with that particular model. Have read some good reviews about the Sparrow but want some feedback before I make any purchase.

Do not buy the Mite. It works but is one of the loudest, and beaten by many others at a similar price, like a Gemtech OB-2, which these days I wouldn't buy again, either. 3rd party sound tests are one way to eval a silencer, and nfattalk.org has gobs of sound test info & reviews. Silencers are hard to sell after you buy them ($200 tax for a transfer to another person) so I'd suggest pricing out the top cans and picking one.

I recommend that you pass on the Mite. Thompson Machine Isis 22 would be worth a look at that price range. I have a TM can that is pretty slick, and they are super competitive in price.

Do you just want a 22 can or do you plan on shooting other rimfire calibers. Ben B gave you excellent suggestions. The SWR Warlock is a pretty good can for 22s. The SWR Spectre II is all rimfire capable and can even handle the 5.7x28. The Silencerco Sparrow will handle the same loads as the Spectre II. These companies are pretty much the same as I believe Silencerco bought SWR. The AAC Prodigy or element would be nice too, I think AAC overall makes some of the nicest cans out there. If you stick to any of these cans you wont be sorry it just depends on what you want to spend and what you are going to use them for. I believe these run in the 300-550 range.

I looked at the Element today. It was $550, it seemed real nice. Looked like it would be easy to clean. They didn't have a Prodigy in stock. I have been to two local dealers and neither has very knowledgeable sales people to explain the difference between makes and models. Thank you guys for the feedback, thus far its all the help I have to make a decision. Hoping to another dealer this weekend, I'll see how that goes.

Element is K baffles, with lots of nooks & crannies, and they look like a PITA to clean, unless you have a blast cabinet. I want something I can wipe free of most crap with a green scrub pad and move on to something fun.

I have the SWR Spectre and love it. It's easy to take apart and is super quiet. The only downside to it is the weight. I have the stainless model and it's a little muzzle heavy on a pistol but balances nicely on rifles. If I had to buy another I would go with the Spectre again. Take your time deciding and save some extra money and get what you want.

I have and love the spectre also. Any baffle shot with a .22 is a pita to clean. With the spectre you can clean each baffle individually. A stiff brush and some elbow grease is all that's needed. There is also the "dip". 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. However, when used on lead this liquifies the lead and creates lead acetate. A hazardous waste that can be absorbed into the skin. Use appropriate safety measures and disposal procedures. Do not use it on aluminum.

The sparrow is a great can too and easy to take apart. Can't go wrong with either.

What is involved for cleaning off the Spectre baffles?

To clean the baffles on the Spectre you take it apart with the supplied tool, it simply pushes them out via a threaded rod and special little pusher. I then soak them in the "dip" for a day or two depending on how many rounds have been through it. Last time it had several thousand rounds of CCI std. velocity and I had to let it soak for three days. Then I use a brass bore brush to finish it up. It takes about an hour of leisurely scrubbing to get it back to squeaky clean. If you do get stainless and use the "Dip" be sure to read up on safe handling of the solution.

• 9 months later...

Element is K baffles, with lots of nooks & crannies, and they look like a PITA to clean, unless you have a blast cabinet. I want something I can wipe free of most crap with a green scrub pad and move on to something fun.

Great information. I'm considering a TM Isis22. How is this cleaned please? Has anyone ever done a video or have pictures of the Isis 22 disassembly?

My gun dealer is trying to sell me on a Coastal Passport, says that he hasn't heard of and can't order an Isis. But I'm tempted to try to order an Isis 22 anyway from somewhere. Any thoughts? Thanks

I have a couple of .22lr suppressors.

One is a Tactical Innovations Stratus, this can pretty much lives on a Ruger 22/45 with a Tactical Solutions top end. looks and sounds great and is user serviceable.

The second is a Thompson Machine Zephyr XL, this can lives on two hosts. First host is a Savage MKII FV-SR, on this host it is "STUPID" quiet. Second host is a 5" barrel AR upper using CMMG .22lr components that I run on one of my SBR'd lowers. Great suppressor, quiet, user serviceable and economical.

For .22 cans I have AAC Element II and the alum one that's a step down, Gemtech (can't remember the model but the one that retails for $300-350), SWR warlock II, and the 100% titanium .22 can from Tactical Suppressed Weapons. The TSW can is hands down the best but its also one of the most expensive at $550, after that in 2nd place on the same gun, same ammo, same day, the SWR can was noticeably quiet than any of the others. The SWR is also a $300-350 can. If you want the best you can get call Chad at TSW though, that guy is a suppressor wizard!

I have a AAC prodigy and it has been great. It is a monolithic baffle which is easier to clean. The better part of my personal story is this ....

A lot of the major companies make great cans that are quiet and work as advertised. My can worked great till I didn't clean it as often as I should. I then tried to open it with no success. I contacted aac and they said to send the ca back to them. They even paid the shipping. They took a look at it and said that I need to clean it more often :). Lead was pouring out the front! After much to do they finally broke the baffle free. Short if it is they sent the can back to me with new upgraded internals as o rinds and a free t shirt to boot no charge. All in less than a week. I will continue to buy AAC products!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a huntertown guardian a while, I have shot most of the other .22 can on the market. I have won many other .22 cans and so far havnt been impressed with the others over the huntertown for me to redeem the certificates and pay another $200 for a stamp. Some .22 cans are better than other that's an undeniable fact but I don't think its nearly as much difference as it is in centerfire cans.