Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting ready to order a new Jp Ctr-02...opinions?

glangler

I am getting ready to order a new Jp ctr-02. I like to shoot 3 gun and have shot Ar's for several years, currently I have two RRA Ar-15's and I like them but I'm ready to order a Jp. Unfortunately you can't just go to your local gun dealer and look at them. But I think I have it narrrowed down to two configurations though, however I would like opinions from those who shoot them regularly. Either gun will have the low mass bolt with the silent capture spring and the 3.5lb enhanced trigger. The first option is a 18" medium contour barrel with a 15.5 modular hand guard and a magpul UBR stock. The second option is a 18" light contoured barrel with the 15.5 rapid configuration hand guard and the ACE-ARFX stock. I guess not having shot the Jp is there an advantage to a medium vs a light weight gun. I am a medium build guy and other than the obvious differences in weight, handling, barrel life, and feel does the low mass system with the silent capture spring absorb or change the ability to maintain a hold on a target that much to where a lightweight gun is a distinct advantage verses a medium weight setup?

At Tarheel 3-gun, I think everyone that uses a JP in .223 uses the lightweight barrel profile. Those are all that I have seen and they are mostly JP-15 models. A friend of mine bought a CTR-02 recently but hasn't gotten it to a match yet. I think that one is a lightweight profile barrel also. It's not like they are .625" at the gas block pencil barrels, so lightweight might be more of a relative term than an absolute at JP.

Personally, I would never consider a medium profile JP in 18". I would get the lightweight and not look back. However, I am certain you will have a fine rifle either way.

I don't own a JP and haven't even fired one before. I'm simply relating my observations from my regional match and then a nearly worthless opinion based on those observations. :mellow:

Medium contour or light contour will serve you well. The medium is their proprietary cut and is cut that way because JP believes it improves harmonics and thus long range accuracy. Light contour takes a few ounces out of the nose for faster transitions. I never felt the need to swap out the brake on my JP15, but if you do want to some time in the future, the .75" profile of the light contour will match the shape of most brakes and I honestly can't tell the difference in accuracy between the two contours. Don't have any reservations about buying a CTR-02. They give up nothing and are one of the best rifles out there. One word of caution though. Once you start shooting high end products, which really do shoot exceptionally well, you will be ruined on milspec. Heck, after shooting Wilson's and Baer's, I can't even look at a Kimber or Springfield 1911 any. :closedeyes:

I have recently received a SCR, which is identical to the CTR with the exeption of the charging handle.

I got the medium barrel which is heavier than I expected. If you are only shooting 3 gun ( and not really long range stuff) I would go with lighter barrel.

The LMOS is GREAT!!! Using the adjustable gas block in conduction with LMOS and their comp you can vitally tune out recoil completely.

I also love the silent captured spring system. SMOOTH!!!

I have a JP CTR-02 with an 18" light contour barrel and the 15.5" JP handguard. I like the lighter contour JP barrels. JP builds good stuff, you will be pleasently suprised after you shoot one at just how smooth it really is. I even admit that I said "why would anyone pay that kind of money for an AR15??", then I kept one at my house for a couple of months and played with it. I had to have one after that.

Hurley

Edited for spelling.

HR

Edited by HRider

The local Turners in San Diego has both the lightweight and medium profile. I checked them both out. Not too much difference between them and few ounces at the end. The light weight is what I would have liked to go with but I am building a JP on the cheap and went with one of their barrel kits through brownells. The difference on the barrels is at the gas block .936 vs .750 and to the end of the barrel. Under the hand guard they are the same .650 diameter. Other than balance JP claims (from talking to them on the phone) the med. contour is slightly more accurate. Since mine will be a dual purpose rig I am ok with a little more weight. Either way you will be happy.

If you are wishing to handle some, I don't have any information. If you are wishing to buy with out waiting, Shooters Connection usually has a few popular configurations in stock, they are a Forum Dealer and I have had good experience purchasing from them.

Hurley

I have the med. on my SCR 11 I like it. I have a friend whoe has the exact set up with the light. His does balance better, because the extra weight is all in the nose. If I remember correctly we are talking 4 oz. I certianly never felt mine was too heavy. Both are great rifles and incredibly accurate.

You wouldn't be disappointed either way.

I too waffled about these questions before ordering mine. I decide to stay away from the UBR because of the weight. I went with the 18" light contour, ARFX stock, LMOS, and the silent capture spring. I have handled a few medium contour JP's and I found they are a tad front heavy for 3-gun.

It is hands down the finest AR-15 I have ever handled. Buy one and you will never look back.

I -used to have the 18" medium contour and Now I have the 18" Lt contour CTR upper 15 hand guard. = I love it.

the Lt barrel gives me good groups even at 500 yards. I was one of the few that did not care how much the barrel weighed in at.

But Now I am loving the Lt barrel from JP

The CTR in mounted on top of a JP15 lower just because I have not spent the cash yet on the CTR lower.

OH yes the Captured spring is a must have.

Keep in mind If you have a JP CTR - your going to have the set-up that every one Else wants to get close to.

Edited by AlamoShooter