Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super to 9

bk94

I bought a 38 super open awhile back and I am wanting to convert it to shoot 9 major. The frame is a SVI. The original slide was a Caspian with a 6in Schumann barrel I am new to the 1911/2011 style so forgive me if I ask to many questions. What all needs replaced to shoot 9major or how would you go about making the switch? If this is the wrong place to post this what forum shoulod this go in and Thanks

Switch the barrel out, shoot it as is or install a spacer.

Out of the 3, the best is to replace the barrel.

Shooting it as is may work but accuracy may suffer due to the large jump the bullet has to make before it engages the rifling and the case not headspacing correctly. Again it may work or may not. YMMV

Installing a spacer is a waste of money if you have a gunsmith to do it. It'll probably cost you just as much to do the spacer install vs. the new barrel install. The accuracy issue might be there also due to the rifling jump. Do it yourself and you could save money but again the accuracy issue is still there.

Don't forget to switch out the extractor to a 9mm/38 super comp/rimless/TJ extractor.

Shooting it as is may work but accuracy may suffer

It does not, based on limited experience with three guns.

How were your groups at various distances?

I'm contemplating utilizing a spacer/sleeve for a 38 super barrel I have but not looking forward to the work I have to put into it.

I just send my SVI IMM Open back to the factory to have it converted over from .38super to 9mm.

I'm figuring since the gun ran 38super but also ran 38supercomp without extraction issues I wouldn't need anything done with the extractor. A simple 9mm barrel w/comp and recoil spring change should do me. Then spacers for the magazines.

I'm still waiting for a call back, but I'm hoping I can go back and forth between barrels. It just seems to be so much more practical to run 9mm, as far as ammo cost goes, and being able to buy off the shelf if necessary. I just want to have the ability to go back to 38 super if I want, by changing out a few parts.

My open gun was/is a 38SC. I had a complete new 9mm top end built for it. Now I have the option of shooting 38SC or 9mm. To me it was worth the extra cost and peace of mind. Both perform as flawlessly as open guns go. Just swap out the slides and either insert or remove the Joe Hardy SS mag spacers. What more can you ask for. Lot cheaper than buying a new 9mm Open gun.

I've seen people running 9 in their Super/SC guns, but they never run 100%.

They must have built 3 such 100% reliable guns, and they live all in my safe! :-)

Seriously, I get puzzled when people with no such experience keep expressing their concerns. This might break, and that should fail... Well, I put at least 20,000 rounds through my guns with no breakage, stoppage or any other issues. And as far as I can tell, my ***experience*** is by far not unique.

I converted 3 38SC guns to 9 major. There is only one good reason to do this, and that is you don't want to pick up brass, other wise you are way ahead just keeping it 38S. Paint your 38SC/S brass with Dikem, you will be suprised how few you will lose and at how many times you can reload them. I bought a 1,000 38SC shot 38SC for 3 years 8 matches a month and have 5,000 or so on hand, yeah, I RO a lot of major matches, still pick them up. I will not pickup my 9 majors and tell others to at their own risk.

I shot 2 years of 9 major now and have bught about 40k pices of brass at @ $.025 each or $1000 say $500 a year for brass.

If you have an unlimted supply of good once fired brass near free then maybe it makes sense.

Loading skank 9 mm brass is a lot harder than loading good 38S brass, you use it once let it go. It is eaiser to keep a 38S gun running and the load options are nearly endless.

Ok that said since my guns were 38SC I retained the extractor (Aftec), had a smith fit new barrels and comps, put spacers in the STI mags, no changes to svi mags the guns run 100%.

I can put my 38S barrel and comp back in the guns at any time and shoot 38SC, no problem, just re-zero the C-more.

I enjoy not picking up brass, gives me more time to enjoy the match, if I wanted to save money I'd stay home, and knit.

I've seen people running 9 in their Super/SC guns, but they never run 100%.

They must have built 3 such 100% reliable guns, and they live all in my safe! :-)

Seriously, I get puzzled when people with no such experience keep expressing their concerns. This might break, and that should fail... Well, I put at least 20,000 rounds through my guns with no breakage, stoppage or any other issues. And as far as I can tell, my ***experience*** is by far not unique.

I have Open guns in 38 Super, 38SC, and 9 Major....so I'm not in the "no such experience" group. In fact, I have a lot of experience watching a couple of friends try to run 9 through their guns chambered in Super....they work....some of the time.

Sorry, but from the outset, it's a stupid concept, to even consider. 9mm is larger at the base than SC, has a tapered case, and runs significantly higher pressures.....yeah, I can totally see why someone wants that going off in front of their face to save the equivalent of one major match fee, or a case or two of bullets.