Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What parts should I have on hand...

assaulter

I'm past the 6k mark on this gun and my rear sight almost came apart on me. I haven't got a call back from STI yet, but I THINK I have is screwed back together and I put a drop of loctite on it. It got me thinking, what parts should I have on hand? I'm planning an order for mag springs and a recoil spring. What else? Any need to change the sear spring?

The extractor on my Edge lost tension in less than 5k rounds. I would keep a spare tensioned extractor on hand, ejector, all pins, fiber optic rod, mag catch, and a fitted thumb safety would be nice.

This may be overkill but I basically accumulated spares for every single part in the gun except for the barrel and rear sight. paranoid about going to a major and have the gun go tits up. One of these days I'll buy a backup gun, but spare parts are still cheaper.

The extractor on my Edge lost tension in less than 5k rounds. I would keep a spare tensioned extractor on hand, ejector, all pins, fiber optic rod, mag catch, and a fitted thumb safety would be nice.

This may be overkill but I basically accumulated spares for every single part in the gun except for the barrel and rear sight. paranoid about going to a major and have the gun go tits up. One of these days I'll buy a backup gun, but spare parts are still cheaper.

Add a slide stop and your insurance policy should protect you against Murphy

An Extra sear fit to your hammer.

Dont think you'd ever need it? I didnt either, until the EGW sear in my limited gun broke in HALF during a match.

Nothing else wrong with the gun, sear just failed.

Other than that,

Sear Pin

Hammer pin

Grip screws/ bushings

FO insert

extractor (tensioned)

ejector

recoil spring

sear spring

main spring

Slide stop

barrel link (?)

Oh hell, just buy a backup gun! :D

I have seen so many different things break on guns, I have been lucky I have only broke the elevation screw on my rear sight and the little spring was flung somewhere too ??? I have a friend that shoots so much that this year he has broke 3 front sights, not the fiber rods the sight itself, a guide rod, ambi saftey and a barrel had a hairline crack up by one of the locking lugs. He is a Master class shooter and a great reloader it was not that he doesn't know what he is doing he just shoots 20,000 plus rounds a year. So with all that being said, it would be an advantage to have another gun to salvage a finish in a match that otherwise could turn into a disaster, it dont half to be a expensive gun just one that you could finish with.

All those parts you can get in a day or two when you need them. I vote for the backup gun just to get you through a match if needed. Much better than trying to replace something like an extractor during a match.

Nothing wrong with having spare firing pin, firing pin stop, extractor, or other stuff that you can replace in a couple of minutes at the safety area. But with an STI, you never know what might happen. If the ejector comes off or something like that, most people aren't going to be able to fix it on the spot.