Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Matt Mink vs. Akai Custom trigger work

jeep45238

Looking to send my SP01 Shadow off for some work, probably around March/April of next year.

After some thought and drool over the AccuShadow, I just can't justify that tag, and am going to have my Shadow worked over.

A big thing that popped out to me is that Akai Custom shortens the DA stroke, where Matt Mink's work doesn't mention it anywhere. Reports from everywhere is that both are silky smooth triggers.

So, for those out there who have had a chance to get your mitts on either/both of these, which one would you prefer, and why?

Looking to send my SP01 Shadow off for some work, probably around March/April of next year.

After some thought and drool over the AccuShadow, I just can't justify that tag, and am going to have my Shadow worked over.

A big thing that popped out to me is that Akai Custom shortens the DA stroke, where Matt Mink's work doesn't mention it anywhere. Reports from everywhere is that both are silky smooth triggers.

So, for those out there who have had a chance to get your mitts on either/both of these, which one would you prefer, and why?

I've felt both, and IMO Mink's work is better than Akai's. On the Akai gun that I saw the parts had been extremely over-polished, and the gun had to be sent to another 'smith to correct the some problems from parts being polished to the point of being out of spec.

You ought to consider that if Akai is shortening the DA stroke - and the position of the trigger at rest with the hammer down is different than stock - then your gun would no longer be Production legal.

Anyway, I know Akai does great work and has a great reputation, but Mink has been doing CZ work for years and years. He's a pretty damn good shooter, too.

A HUGE +1 for Stuart/eerw. You can find many threads on this topic. I've played around with/owned a variety of custom Shadows and have yet to feel one that is better than my Stuartized Shadow. Reasonable prices, fast turn-around time, and the nicest guy you'll have the pleasure of dealing with.

I owned a Mink custom SP-01 for several years, and the custom work was very nice. I never completely warmed up to the CZ format, so I sold it to a local friend and it seems to be serving him well.

Keep in mind that just like with a revolver, shortening the DA stroke invariably means the DA stroke must be heavier in order to ensure reliable ignition.

You ought to consider that if Akai is shortening the DA stroke - and the position of the trigger at rest with the hammer down is different than stock - then your gun would no longer be Production legal.

I think thats a gray area...

No question stu at CZC. He has done a couple of my shadows and they are just sick! No tricks or gimmicks just pure perfection.

Just for the record. I work at CZC. However I do sales, some tech, shipping. I am able to do some gunsmithing on my time. If you need to reach me try pm here on the forum, my email (listed in my profile and signature). Thanks for all your support.

So... Ya'll will forgive me for being confused (I'm a little slow anyway). Is the Akai version they have on their sight production legal? Second, I'm looking into getting an SP01 or a Shadow for production, so not to hijack the thread but where do I go about finding one already "custom" and ready to go?

Edited by MattYvip

So... Ya'll will forgive me for being confused (I'm a little slow anyway). Is the Akai version they have on their sight production legal? Second, I'm looking into getting an SP01 or a Shadow for production, so not to hijack the thread but where do I go about finding one already "custom" and ready to go?

Call Mink or Stuart Wong. I'm pretty sure Mink has some in stock he can work up and send out reasonably quickly.

BTW, you want the Shadow. The SP-01 has a firing pin block that makes the trigger not as good as the Shadow.