Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry-fire reload training question

ChrisG164

What is the purpose of doing a burkett reload as opposed to a full reload?

More efficient training - you get more reps doing the most important, and most often missed part of the reload.

I would also not recommend doing reload practice with a timer.

Okay. What's wrong with using a timer? It gives you something to aim for (no pun intended), a goal.

Reloading practice can be a way to improve times, and it is gross motor as opposed to fine motor for the most part. It SHOULD be easier to get results with practice. Do not forget that if you have an area to move, try your reloads moving out of a position LtoR, and RtoL. This is an important thing to learn that can prevent going home early due to breaking the 180. Regripping or remounting the gun with consistency after the reload is another area that requires a lot of attention. Most of the time you will be moving while you reload. Therefore while static reloads are a good thing to practice, doing so while moving will be a skill that an advanced shooter will have down well. I always look at the magwell. Otherwise, I just suck.

Edited by JimmyZip

What is the purpose of doing a burkett reload as opposed to a full reload?

More efficient training - you get more reps doing the most important, and most often missed part of the reload.

I would also not recommend doing reload practice with a timer.

Okay. What's wrong with using a timer? It gives you something to aim for (no pun intended), a goal.

My own personal experience says because of success rate/consistency. But on second thought, I may have been hasty in not recommending it altogether, there are just pitfalls that you have to avoid if you want to perform well overall at matches.

For the two and some years I've been training, I have pushed and pushed and pushed for pure speed with my reloads. It got to the point where I was trying to reload as fast as my hands could move, I'm talking like a .7-.8 par time with my Production rig. I could do it, and still can with some amount of consistency, and that made me happy at the time. But as I started to look at performing better at matches, I realized that was kind of like a parlor trick. Consistency is preferable over speed when talking about overall match performance, I think. Even after retooling how I practice - and subsequently performing MUCH better in overall match standings, I still fudge maybe 20% of my reloads in matches. Watch some of my videos, it's bad.

Using par times is a great way to train if you can avoid the pitfalls of pushing too hard for speed. I obviously could not. Keep track of your success rate! Obviously if you're at 100% you're probably going a little too slow. But much less than 90% success rate should indicate you're pushing for speed. This isn't bad, I think you pretty well have to sometimes if you're interested in going faster, but you have to balance it by also pushing for consistency some of the time. It's just like balancing the amount of points you shoot in a match.

My favorite par-time reload drill, dry or live fire, is reloading out of each of your mag pouches in a row, breaking two good shots after every reload. Try it out some time - this will force you to be consistent to get a good score. Here is an example I made with my SIRT pistol a while ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW7UJFqp_7o

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking at Mag Well during reload is a Training Scar.

I have been trained to keep the pistol UP in your plane of view kind of looking through the trigger guard and FEEL the mag well with tip of your index finger placed along the length of your magazine near bullet tip while inserting it DO NOT look down to See the mag well or you will take your eyes off the target which in a self defense situation could be a fatal mistake. YMMV

I suspect you do not know what the term "training scar" means. It certainly does not fit your above application. A training scar is when you get Hurt in practice doing something stupid and get a scar to remind you of your mistake.

I've been trained to do a no look and to look. Both had good reasoning behind the training. As this is a competition thread, I do in fact look at the well. It makes for me to produce a more consistent reload.

If I was in a gunfight, dynamic incident, or whatever the cool kids are calling a shoot out these days, I probably wouldn't have to reload. That's cause I'd have 16 rounds of 9mm instead of the 11 IDPA gives me and my spare mag is more in case of a jam than it is for extra ammo. But if I were defending the Nokatomi plaza and needed a reload I would look as I'm comfortable doing it and unless I'm taking on an army of ninjas, I doubt they will move much in the 1/2 second it takes me to do this.

Edited by Ted Murphy

I have been trained to keep the pistol UP in your plane of view kind of looking through the trigger guard and FEEL the mag well with tip of your index finger placed along the length of your magazine near bullet tip while inserting it DO NOT look down to See the mag well or you will take your eyes off the target which in a self defense situation could be a fatal mistake. YMMV

We aren't talking about self defense. This entire "training scar" bs is just that. The absolute best competition shooters in the world look the mag into the well most of the time..

I have no idea what a "training scar" is, but I'm sure I don't want one. I guess I'll have to stop looking at the magwell. I wouldn't want to make a "fatal mistake" while shooting at some cardboard at my local USPSA match.

*Stands up and starts the slow clap*

tumblr_lq2u0cmb2s1qii6tmo1_500.gif

Edited by Ben Stoeger

Those of you that were so quick to disparage my input have no idea what a training scar, is it has nothing to do with a scar or injury, if you are so inclined just take a look at this you-tube link

next I suppose you will tell me that Larry Vickers doesn't know what he is talking about.

I know this is a competition forum, but competition is only part of the reason why we / I own handguns.

Dry firing is a great tool to learn our skills read below for an in depth assessment of why I originally brought up the subject of not looking at your mag-well during reloading.

Shooting is no different from other psycho/motor skills, these skills develop over time, constant repetition is required to ingrain the desired skill. When you train you set pathways in your brain at the neurological level, drawing your handgun or reloading your handgun fires a particular series of nerves.

The more times you use the same neuro/pathway the more it develops. It also develops a substance called myelin. Myelin is the substance that helps conduct nerve impulses, the more myelin that you develop the more efficiently the nerve impulses can run.

To simplify it think of your skills honed through dry fire practice as a walking path to a specific destination, if we begin to learn our skill-sets from the same starting point and take the same pathway each time over many repetitions the path would eventually be a deep trench which would be easy to follow even in the dark.

In contrast if you took several different pathways to your destination none would be very well defined. Now add the fact that if you take different paths to reach the same destination you have to take the time to decide which is the path to follow, which is the best at that time (which could be a critical life or death) decision.

According to "Hick's Law" which relates to reaction time and states that the time it takes a person to make a decision will be proportional to the number of alternatives available. If we had to reach our destination at a critical time we could do it but it would take longer. And, if chased by wolves the time lost could mean our survival.

I try and train to learn only one pathway myself, I do shoot IDPA and practical action but they are only games, which Life is not.

Edited by GOTURBACK

The problem with only training one neural pathway is that one has only one response. In training to deal with reality one must include being aware. Responding from preconceived, albeit well trained, habit is wonderful as long as one's enemy attacks correctly.

According to "Hick's Law" which relates to reaction time and states that the time it takes a person to make a decision will be proportional to the number of alternatives available. If we had to reach our destination at a critical time we could do it but it would take longer. And, if chased by wolves the time lost could mean our survival.

I agree. I conduct my reload training while being chased by wolves for this exact reason.

I know this is a competition forum, but competition is only part of the reason why we / I own handguns.

I try and train to learn only one pathway myself, I do shoot IDPA and practical action but they are only games, which Life is not.

Review the Forum Rules before posting further. We don't do tactical debates here. - Admin.

The more times you use the same neuro/pathway the more it develops. It also develops a substance called myelin. Myelin is the substance that helps conduct nerve impulses, the more myelin that you develop the more efficiently the nerve impulses can run.

This is just completely incorrect. Myelination of neurons is completed in infancy. The amount or quantity of myelination doesn't change unless in the case of something like MS where it is degraded.