Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry-fire reload training question

ChrisG164

I try to look at the magwell everytime I reload, dryfire and live fire. About the only exeption is when I am trying to get around a wall or something tight while reloading. Even then I kind of watch it but out the corner of my eye, the only reason for taking my eye off is so I dont run into anything.

My take on it - just like the shooting itself, see what you need to see to do the reload.

Doing it without looking shows how well you may have it grooved in, but only in whatever way it is that you are practicing your reloads (usually in dryfire, standing upright, static, usually with empty magazines). On a field course we are reloading dynamically, with the position of the gun post recoil, the movement of the body, the relative position of the torso and arms vs the waist (where the now fully loaded mags start from) all varying each time we go for a fresh mag.

I can do standing reloads blindfolded pretty well. But, once I move or change my position, it gets iffy. When I'm being conscientious, I'll try to practice reloads with movement, and mebbe, if I can replicate that exact same movement on a field course, I can rely on the programmed kinesthetics to get the mag in, but it's a surer thing to use the eyes.

My two cents...

Edited by kevin c

My take on it - just like the shooting itself, see what you need to see to do the reload.

Doing it without looking shows how well you may have it grooved in, but only in whatever way it is that you are practicing your reloads (usually in dryfire, standing upright, static, usually with empty magazines). On a field course we are reloading dynamically, with the position of the gun post recoil, the movement of the body, the relative position of the torso and arms vs the waist (where the now fully loaded mags start from) all varying each time we go for a fresh mag.

I can do standing reloads blindfolded pretty well. But, once I move or change my position, it gets iffy. When I'm being conscientious, I'll try to practice reloads with movement, and mebbe, if I can replicate that exact same movement on a field course, I can rely on the programmed kinesthetics to get the mag in, but it's a surer thing to use the eyes.

My two cents...

That is a concise summary followed by a great explanation and analysis.

Edited by Garyg19

Start practicing them S L O W until you can do 100 perfect reloads. Notice the orientation of the gun, how much inside the frame you can see, and how your hand orients the magazine. Then go to medium observing the same attributes for your reloads. Before going lightning fast, I would then work on reloading while running in all directions (NSEW), as well as off a table.

Only then, now having the understanding of the mechanics of reloading YOUR pistol that you may be able to quicken the process.

Some perspective: I have reloaded my Glock 34 easily over 100,000 times over the years and still missed on rare occasion.

I have reloaded my CZ that I have had for less than one month 5,000 times and I miss often when I push it. (but I am seeing steady improvements).

The more time you spend with your gear, the better acclimated you will become with it's needs.

I normally start every dryfire practice with little drill. Draw and fire two rounds at the "a"zone, reload and two more to the "A" zone at about 10 ft with 1/3 size target against par time. When I do that I'm mostly just using the reload as part my warm up. After that I just try to work the reloads into my normal drills as part of the drill and not the only thing that I am worried about during the drill. Your reloads will speed up in a hurry if you make an honost effort to improve the reload with a lot of dryfire practice

One thing I have done is to paint, using "white out", a small rectangle (or square) on the inside bottom of the mag well. This seems to help my focus of looking for the white mark while I am moving the magazine towards the mag well. The extra focus actually makes my reloads faster.

No no no.

Eyes closed reloads are a terrible, terrible idea.

You must always look the mag into the gun. Must.

Yes, you may be able to do them blindfolded or whatever, but why?

Every time I see a shooter miss a reload, it's because they didn't look at what they are doing.

More later....

No no no.

Every time I see a shooter miss a reload, it's because they didn't look at what they are doing.

More later....

You know, after reading this, Kevin's reply and thinking through it, I've changed my mind about the blind reload. Sure, it might be a nice parlor trick, but it doesn't apply at all to what I hope to achieve during a COF - unless the COF states I have to wear a blindfold :roflol: .

I've been shooting single stack lately and reloading a lot. I rarely miss a reload but when I do, it's because I went looking for the next target or something before I see the mag into the gun. Sort of like the wide receiver looking upfield (or for the strong safety) before catching the ball. As long as I have eyes, I might as well use them.

Edited by lumpygravy

Bigfish,

I would highly recommend warming up with the Burkett Reloads before moving on to the full reload...

Youre actual reloads will be soooo much moregooderbetter after a real warmup.

SA

Will give it a try, my reloads are pretty fast but can be inconsistant every once in a while. Thats been something that I've really been trying to clean up. I've noticed that at alot of the local matches with static stages that a good reload is about the easiest way to lower a stage time. Spit times might vary .1 seconds or so per shot but if someone can save .5 seconds on a great reload vs a good reload thats huge on a 3 or 4 second stage

Edited by bigfish

No no no.

More later....

You know, after reading this, Kevin's reply and thinking through it, I've changed my mind about the blind reload. Sure, it might be a nice parlor trick, but it doesn't apply at all to what I hope to achieve during a COF - unless the COF states I have to wear a blindfold :roflol: .

I've been shooting single stack lately and reloading a lot. I rarely miss a reload but when I do, it's because I went looking for the next target or something before I see the mag into the gun. Sort of like the wide receiver looking upfield (or for the strong safety) before catching the ball. As long as I have eyes, I might as well use them.

Sorry for the late reply but...

YES! That's the answer I was looking for.. Thank you for the input.. I honestly wasn't sure if it might help or not. As stupid as that might sound.

One thing I have done is to paint, using "white out", a small rectangle (or square) on the inside bottom of the mag well. This seems to help my focus of looking for the white mark while I am moving the magazine towards the mag well. The extra focus actually makes my reloads faster.

Remember that if you do that in a match shooting Production, you are in Open.....

I used to have a landing strip, got rid of it (as a production shooter) and my reloads are just as sharp and fast without it.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the purpose of doing a burkett reload as opposed to a full reload?

More efficient training - you get more reps doing the most important, and most often missed part of the reload.

I would also not recommend doing reload practice with a timer.