Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm bullet weight for 3-gun?

shuter

Hey guys, just starting to dabble in 3 gun. Got a Glock 34 and I'm wondering what bullet weight is thought to be "best" for that sport, if there is a single weight?

Also, any help with specific powder charges, etc. would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

shuter

Not really sure there is a best. 124 seems to be the most common as its a good balance of being heavy enough to knock steel down and being affordable. 147 grain bullets have softer recoil and take steel down well but cost more. I have started using 115's because I am shooting open and want more gas to run the comp on my minor open load. Basically you can't really go wrong just load it to where it makes around 130 to 140 power factor to take the steel down reliably.

pat

124's would be good. Seems like you he to push the 147's a little to make them reliable.. 130-135 power factor.. My load is 4.2gr N320 behind a Xtreme 124 hp. Great bullet! Nice profile an is super accurate!

Overall, this is a subjective question because what runs the best and most accurate in my pistol may not run the best and most accurate in yours.

The best answer is to try 124 and 147 gr bullet loads in your gun at 15 to 25 yards and see which has a better group and go from there.

I use 147 Bayou's with 3.6gr of N320.

Edited by Classic_jon

depends on the feel you like. The 147s feel softer with more of a push. The 115s are more of a snap. The 124s are and even the 135 are a good medium.

I agree in a non comped pistol but for open I want that gas to run the comp. More gas less flip.

Pat

The thing about 3 gun is 99% of the time there is no power factor. When there is no power factor, the general practice of using heavier bullets to get a "softer" feel at a given power factor doesn't really apply. You can load the lighter bullets to shoot as soft as the 147's by simply loading to a lower PF.

For 3Gun, with my G34 I use 115's for my general load. For spinners I currently use 124's loaded to major.

For Production I use 147's for "big" matches.

But if there wasn't a $16-20 difference betweeen the 147's and the 115/124's... I'd use 147's for both disciplines.

Pardon my ignorance, but I assume that when you load the 115's down (when there is no PF), there will be certain targets that will prove too tough to knock down consistently? I'm just thinking I will go with 124's for all around use, or 115's loaded hot enough for the toughest targets I'm likely to encounter? I know I'll have more recoil, but I'll just be shooting local matches anyway (at least for the foreseeable future.

The thing about 3 gun is 99% of the time there is no power factor. When there is no power factor, the general practice of using heavier bullets to get a "softer" feel at a given power factor doesn't really apply. You can load the lighter bullets to shoot as soft as the 147's by simply loading to a lower PF.

For 3Gun, with my G34 I use 115's for my general load. For spinners I currently use 124's loaded to major.

But if there wasn't a $16-20 difference betweeen the 147's and the 115/124's... I'd use 147's for both disciplines.

My current 115's are currently at 144 PF. The loading was originally for my 6" SVI. Where I needed to run it that hot to function 100%.

They have knocked down anything I have shot at. But they are overpowered for 3 gun.

I think 98-100% of the time the pistol steel targets found in three gun will go down with sub minor loads. For that other 2% of the time I have a second load.

Using all 124's or 115's loaded to your toughest target is a good plan.

Would you mind sharing your particular loads for the 115 and 124's?

thanks

115 Precision Delta, 4.8 grains Titegroup (Book max for TG w/ 115 FMJ's), Winchester SP or Tula SP, 1.160". Around 1250 FPS from two different factory G34 barrels and about the same out of a 6" Schueman 2011. ~144 PF.

You really need to work up to this load ===> 124 Precision Delta (MAJOR 9), 7.4 grains Silhouete, Federal SP, 1.160. Around 1368 fps out of a 5" Schueman 2011. ~169 PF.

Thanks brother. Really appreciate it!

115 Precision Delta, 4.8 grains Titegroup (Book max for TG w/ 115 FMJ's), Winchester SP or Tula SP, 1.160". Around 1250 FPS from two different factory G34 barrels and about the same out of a 6" Schueman 2011. ~144 PF.

You really need to work up to this load ===> 124 Precision Delta (MAJOR 9), 7.4 grains Silhouete, Federal SP, 1.160. Around 1368 fps out of a 5" Schueman 2011. ~169 PF.

I've always felt that 124s are the best all around bullet that will work in any gun and knock down steel good without loading them hot. I use 124gr PD JHP loaded to 1.125 over 4.3gr W231 and never have any issue out of my M&P9Pro. Makes 130 PF if I remember correctly and will work in my match gun with a 13# spring or any factory gun without any issues. Oh and they shoot 1.5-2" groups off hand at 20 yards.

But like everyone says it's up to your gun and how you want it to feel. I would couldn't care less about the "feel" as long as the recoil is not out of control and it's not any big deal with this load. I think you'd be hard pressed to load a 9mm round that had excessive recoil unless you really did something weird.

Pardon my ignorance, but I assume that when you load the 115's down (when there is no PF), there will be certain targets that will prove too tough to knock down consistently? I'm just thinking I will go with 124's for all around use, or 115's loaded hot enough for the toughest targets I'm likely to encounter? I know I'll have more recoil, but I'll just be shooting local matches anyway (at least for the foreseeable future.

I have shot local and national matches for t;he last two years. Pistol steel at the national level almost always consists of 4 or 5 in plates on posts. A solid hit with a 22lr would knock it down. Locally we shoot up to full size poppers. Almost all set to very light tolerance. 9 loads below 125pf have worked for all matches i have attended.

• 1 year later...

I have been loading 124 FMJ with Ramshot Silhouette, I know this is probably not the best powder to use if not trying for the higher power factors but it was all I could find at the time.

This will be a really stupid question but would it not be beneficial to load 115's with the starting load grain to get the softest recoil and follow up? Steel would be an issue but if I was only shooting paper would this not give the lightest flip to stay on the front sight?

I have been loading 124 FMJ with Ramshot Silhouette, I know this is probably not the best powder to use if not trying for the higher power factors but it was all I could find at the time.

This will be a really stupid question but would it not be beneficial to load 115's with the starting load grain to get the softest recoil and follow up? Steel would be an issue but if I was only shooting paper would this not give the lightest flip to stay on the front sight?

You'll likely perceive less recoil with heavier bullets than the 115grs...and with faster powder(s).

As mentioned, some people load below normal PF (125 officially, most load to 130-135PF), to further reduce felt recoil.

I don't like making separate 'powder puff' loads, so for the most part, load everything to ~130PF. I shoot mainly 124gr, but lately have been playing around with various 135gr and 147gr bullets, as well.