Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

extended release or stock?

waterboy

Well this year I got a bit more serious in USPSA revo division at my local matches. Since I started shooting local matches last year I have been shooting single stack up until this year. I am getting better with the 610, but my reloads are still a little slow. I have already chamfered the cylinder, but still have the stock release which is giving me the most problems. Sometimes I can find it easy, and sometimes my thumb slips right past it (especially when its hot and my hands are sweaty). So, my question is should I just keep practicing with the stock release, or get an aftermarket one, and what brand are you guys using?

Thanks,

Tom

Had the same issue at the AZ Icore state match. Not all cylinder releases release the same. Had a 586 which was stiff. Although I wanted to stay stock, the reality was I could not afford to miss a release. Put an after market on.

I have gotten accustomed to the Hogue extended release on several of my revolvers and I have to say it offers the smoothest cylinder opening action of any of the ones I have tried to date. That list includes the factory, old and new style, SDM new style, Ed Brown and Hogue Long and Short extended releases. The Ed Brown, which I guess is no longer available is a distant second to the Hogue.

-ld

I definitely agree! The Hogue extended cylinder release is in the perfect spot for my thumb. It is smooth and quick. The only modification I made was to have my gunsmith add a series of horizontal cuts to the factory vertical grooves which made it feel checkered. It really added the perfect amount if grip. The Hogue release is available in a large and small.

Chris

I've been running the SDM and like it. I just got the short (if you can call it that) Hogue. It fits very wobbly, but I think it could be fit to take some of that out. I don't think I'll bother, I like the SDM better.